No announcement yet.

81 GS550T Full Rebuild...In Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My pattern of weekend only fun continues with one exception - I'm off tomorrow for the federal holiday (just not paid for it this year, furloughed instead for the day). Stopped over at the bike this morning and put the front pegs back on, added in the brake lines, and tried to install the exhaust. Unfortunately, the exhaust gasket and clamp for the left pipe broke when I tried to replace the studs I was using for new bolts. So, I'll be ordering a new gasket/clamp tomorrow.

The RTV also did not work on keeping the Harbor Freight stick on weights to the rear wheel. I'm going to go by a local Kawasaki dealer tomorrow morning to see how much he'd charge to balance both wheels and put better weights on.

As I have been stuck at the house at night this past week helping kids with their homework, I brought it and the side covers over to hopefully work on it this week. That way, I can get something done.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      The RTV also did not work on keeping the Harbor Freight stick on weights to the rear wheel. I'm going to go by a local Kawasaki dealer tomorrow morning to see how much he'd charge to balance both wheels and put better weights on.
      That's weird, did the RTV peel off the chrome rim, or did the weights come off the RTV? The weird part is that mine have been there for two years now, this bike has been stuck in mud, through many gas tank deep water crossings, sand, gravel, washboard roads at 70+mph, a few thousands of miles of rocks and roots and has fallen down or been dropped dozens of times. I just checked, not one weight is missing, even though the weights are a bit wider than the wheel, they actually stick out a mm or so past the side of the rim.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The entire wheel is painted and it looks like the weights just fell to the ground as the RTV is still on the wheel. The weights on the front are still on but they were sitting at ground level whereas the rear was from above. And yes, the weights do extend past the lip by a mm or two.

I don't know but I'm so tired of fighting with this dang thing I'll just get the shop to do it.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Am I messing up?

While using 1000 grit to sand the tank today, I started seeing white specks but without any obvious dulling in the paint. Am I going too far?

Here's pictures of the tank from a bit of a distance. The best picture for the specks will be the last one:

Should I keep going or stop and buff this thing yet?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

While using 1000 grit to sand the tank today, I started seeing white specks but without any obvious dulling in the paint. Am I going too far?

Here's pictures of the tank from a bit of a distance. The best picture for the specks will be the last one:

Should I keep going or stop and buff this thing yet?
            Well.... looks like you're hitting the undercoat. I don't know 'cause I've only just scanned your posts. who did the paint job? I'd be inclined to get it stripped back and resprayed.
            jag

Comment

I did the work with a friend of mine who's pretty good.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

You can't be through to the primer, you're not even through the orange peel in the color yet.

Comment

So is it just sanding dust like Rusty said in my other thread?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

So is it just sanding dust like Rusty said in my other thread?
                    Must be. Just rinse it off as you go.

Comment

I'd be carefully sanding it a bit more Scott.Looks like sanding dust in the orange peel to me to.Might just know a bit about orange peel and runs

Comment

My Baby's Got Shoes

Got back over to the garage after my daughter's swim practice tonight and finally have something to proudly show:

Yep, she's finally got her shoes back on. I just noticed something too, it's been exactly 1 year and 1 day since I started this fun. Although I ordered the new exhaust gasket from PartsNMore today and a new clamp for that H connection to the left pipe, I won't see them until next weekend. So I'm thinking I'll deal with the exhaust leak for a few minutes to start it up and see if it will run right. Course that also depends on the kids, their schoolwork, and other activities so I may not even be able to until the weekend anyway. We'll see.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Awesome Scott! Geez it feels good to get to that rolling point don't it?

And even though I can only make this comment based on one paint job so far, I agree it looks like sanding dust to me... rinse it off and you'll probably find you still have lots of orange peel to get rid of before hitting primer just like Tom said...
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Wow, ain't that a pretty sight, you have done a fine job there Scott, she is looking like a million bucks.

Comment

It lives!!!!

Had to go into work this morning to troubleshoot a phone recording problem for our nurse triage center but had a few minutes to stop off at the garage first. While there, I installed the rear brake caliper and new cushions for the rear fender.

After coming up with a decent working hypothesis of my problems at work and deciding I needed to do some reading on a possible fix, I stopped back over at the garage this afternoon. Although I am waiting for new exhaust gaskets to arrive on Monday from Parts N More, I happened to find one of the older ones originally on the bike from before the ceramic coating. I decided I would try to put the exhaust together today and after some cursing and thinking, I finally got it in:

My friend suggested I start the bike up and despite not being totally ready mentally (I wanted to do a few other things first), we grabbed the temporary tank, filled it with gas and pressed the button. Oops. Nothing happened so I checked the battery - was down to 6.5v. What the heck? We put the charger on it and then using my truck's jumper cables we jumped the bike from my friend's lawn tractor and after about 4 turns, it finally roared to life. I let it run for about 5 minutes total as it took about 3 to finally come off of choke. As it sat there running, I think I was still in a bit of shock as it didn't sink in even while twisting the throttle - good response from it and the rpms didn't seem to hang although I did have to adjust the idle knob a couple of times. Another good thing - no obvious oil leaks yet and I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't have any too soon.

I am a little concerned that after having been off the charger for about a week the battery was as drained as it was. Would the fact I hadn't reconnected all the connectors in the bucket cause it to drain like it did? I'm really hoping I don't have a problem with this battery despite it having sat all year without being on the charger and not connected to anything.

Either way, I'm thrilled it's finally running and am looking forward to finishing up on the paint soon so I can get it out on the road.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Congrat's Scott. Looking good.

Suggestion from experience: before you take that first ride double every fastener you can reach with a wrench. Wheels, forks, brakes, handlebars, EVERYTHING. Sometimes over the course of a year in the garage some things get overlooked.

Can't wait for the maiden voyage trip report.
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X