GS12OOSS Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    The ride is looking real good. I would absolutely recommend a series r/r and you can read about them in "Gs stator" in my signature.

You might also consider a SSPB as it will improve the overall performance of your bikes electrical and is a perfect match to the series r/r in giving 20th century electronic upgrade. Again see my signature.
    I'am interested in this upgrade and I happened to be reading those threads over the weekend. Though I build power plants for a living and I have made my share of MW's, my electrical expertise is limited (I'm was bred on the mechanical side and now oversee the commerical side of them). I do know about GS's stator issues and I do like to modernize my bikes in an effort reduce my chances of finding myself stranded somewhere someday due to electrical issues.

Right now I'm going to push my project to the finish line which is now April 19th (of when I can drive it home) and I will look to upgrade this over the summer. Thanks.

Comment

awesome stuff! look forward to finish photos. only comment would be ... anyway to 'disguise' the exposed fairing brackets?
      wtg !!

Comment

The bike looks beautiful and the finished project will be better yet! I would suggest the frame mods. Mine saw MANY miles on the track, and it helped alot. By the looks of what you are fabricating it would be a walk in the park for you. May want to think about the slingshot carb mod. You gain a claimed 8-10 hp and loose 3.3 lbs. With Rays motor, that could get interesting. The fairing mods will look sweet, but let that motor hang out. Its like a low cut, black dress with double D's. num/num. I have bar end mirrors and couldn't agree with you more. You can actually see behind you. What foot rests did you use? Those look very nice. VERY nice job and thanks for sharing.
        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by ptexotik View Post
          awesome stuff! look forward to finish photos. only comment would be ... anyway to 'disguise' the exposed fairing brackets?
          wtg !!
          That was addressed when I got another GSXR faring and cut it up (forgive me great Gixxer god) to cover those brackets. The green cowl from the earlier pictures is no longer being used and the red one (now being painted blue) will be used. The cardboard sections shown on the red cowl are made up to cover the brackets. See the attached pictures and compare them relative to where the bottom cut was made in relation to the vent opening (where my thumb is on the red cowl).

Also, the hole for the light was filled in by the body shop.

Red (2nd attempt)

Green (1st attempt)

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
            ....What foot rests did you use? Those look very nice.....
            The rearsets were used and laying on the shelf at the shop I used in Connecticut to mock up the bike last year and I think I paid $100 for the pair. They did polish up pretty good. I don't know if anyone on this site can weigh in. The foot rests, rear brake and gear shift levers are new and I forget how much I paid for those.

As for the other eagle eyes of the GSR group, the rear brake caliper will be taken off and painted black before it all said and done.

Comment

Originally posted by Battleship62 View Post
              That was addressed when I got another GSXR faring and cut it up
              dooope, my bad. Great! what was that Carly Simon song called? ... Anticipation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NwP3wes4M8)
              looking forward to finished look! (I did the polished swingarm too ... looks killer)
              edit:restored orange ct110 (?) in the backround?
              Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2014, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Cool Hand Luke

Thanks to all the positive buzz you guys given me on the project. However, I got one more thing I'm about to revel.

Soon the overall color scheme will be presented. I was planning to stick with Starry Blue color that the '83 model had that one year (and use the corresponding replica decal set of light blue lettering) and I specifically and on a number occasions I told my shop guys that was going to be the primary color. I added a couple of color accents to help set it apart a tad and give it a endurance racer vibe along with the GS1200SS look. As far as the rims goes, we talked and traded ideas and though I did mentioned the starry blue color as an idea I thought I was going with a gloss black. What I got was the blue as seen in the picture.

Then when I was in the shop this week I was excited and hoping to see how the tank, cowl, and plastic pieces turned out but there weren't back yet. When asked how the color match to starry blue turned out, my shop guy said that the rims were used to match paint. Hummmm.

I feel I do control my project work pretty well but I like receiving input from my mechanics because they have a lot experience and sometimes its good to get a wide range of opinions and views. So during this color ideas exchange, the color of the rims became the pacing component because the darker blue for powder coating sets the color of the balance of the bike. In other words, the color of the rims set the color of the tank/cowl/plastic rather than those parts setting the color for the rims. Therefore, I don't think I will get the shade of blue that I was hoping to get so when it all comes together so keep that in mind when providing me your commentary. Hopefully it won't look too much like a grape popsicile.

I not p#*sed off because I'm pretty emotionally invested in the bike far enough that I think it will be fine. I think the quality parts, workmanship, and overall look of the bike will make the blue scheme look good and give it the modern retro look I wanted to get.

We're all about to find out here next week.

Comment

Enjoying your build.
                  having a straight EZ that is yelling for attention I am loving your build.
                  Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500,
                  The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Comment

Originally posted by Battleship62 View Post
                    I'am interested in this upgrade and I happened to be reading those threads over the weekend. Though I build power plants for a living and I have made my share of MW's, my electrical expertise is limited (I'm was bred on the mechanical side and now oversee the commerical side of them). I do know about GS's stator issues and I do like to modernize my bikes in an effort reduce my chances of finding myself stranded somewhere someday due to electrical issues.

Right now I'm going to push my project to the finish line which is now April 19th (of when I can drive it home) and I will look to upgrade this over the summer. Thanks.
                    The GS1100's are larger displacement and are more susceptible to thermal issues which the SHUNT R/R aggravates. This is not just preventive maintenance that can be "temporarily" deferred. As long as you have a shunt R/R you are doing damage to the Stator, going SERIES will largely eliminate the same.

If you have never changed your stator, on well, the worst that can happen is that it will fail. If you have swapped it out, you will likely accelerate it's end of life which ,means you will be changing it again.

Comment

Progress Pictures

As of today.

Tank, cowl, and plastic pieces still not back from the paint shop.

Comment

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

I got the body pieces back so I laid them on the bike to get glimpse of what my old girl looks like in a new dress. As you can see, the paint is not the blue of the ’83 model year which I thought I was getting but it is what it is now. I’m okay with it but dang it. Nonetheless, I’m still digging it. As you can see I added some accents on the cowl and the tail piece.

Sooooo…what do you think?

Pay no mind to the bracket dangling on the bottom end of the cowl. That will be removed and new one fab to fit the new cowl.

Note the custom grab bar that will help keep me from grabbing on the plastic tail piece. Also, the lighter blue on the tail was selected to match the shock springs and the lettering on the decals.

I thought about making the accent color on cowl the lighter blue but I went with white instead.

Comment

I think it looks just right. Except (there has to be one in the crowd right?), the headlight surround should match the light blue on the tail.
                          (as he runs for cover...)

Comment

Everything looks great, great, great.

I don't see the custom grab bar, though. Where is it in relation to the stock one?

1982 1100e (stock except for intake and exhaust)
                            Last edited by Rob S.; 04-17-2014, 09:46 PM.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I think it will look good once you get it off that red motorcycle lift. The colors are clashing a bit.

The fairing angle looks like it is blending into the body work well. Are you doing decals? I always at least like to see the stock decals and I brazenly added some extra racing and Yoshi stickers to mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                                Everything looks great, great, great.

I don't see the custom grab bar, though. Where is it in relation to the stock one?
                                Right here. I didn't have a grab bar before and when I had to pull up on the back end to put it on the centerstand, I had to reach up and grab the frame along the tail piece. Now I got this shiny thingy.

Comment

Working...
                                X