X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome colour ,,bike looks great , well done is all can say!! brian

Comment

Originally posted by Battleship62 View Post
      Right here. I didn't have a grab bar before and when I had to pull up on the back end to put it on the centerstand, I had to reach up and grab the frame along the tail piece. Now I got this shiny thingy.

I'll check (my '82 1100e is coming home from the shop later today), but yours looks a lot like my stock grab bar (which I've never used, as I don't have a center stand).
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Love it. Bike looks sick. Love how you modified the front fairing. You went the perfect distance. I too think the headlight surround should be the same light blue as the rear and shocks, but I like the white.

Hard to find a fault in the build, if that's what you're asking for. Easier to find accolades.

I'm having a custom seat built right now from a guy in TN. He's been doing it 30 years on the side, and is an artist. He's done a million FZR1 seats, and he can do anything. It should be back in a couple weeks, but I'll let you know how it goes. I've looked at 1,000 GS seats, and not seen one that I like, so I have high hopes for his work and I gave him a laundry list of things I like/don't like. He's totally old school, but I'm building him a basic website. I'll hand it out once it's published.

Long story short: I think you need a custom seat. But the only ready-made seats are Corbin $460, and I don't like the shape. Sargents will re-do it for you, but it will be $600. This guy will be in the $250 range, and better than both.

-kevin
        Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2014, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilRock View Post
          Long story short: I think you need a custom seat. But the only ready-made seats are Corbin $460, and I don't like the shape. Sargents will re-do it for you, but it will be $600. This guy will be in the $250 range, and better than both.

-kevin
          I would be interested in getting some contact information of your $250-seat-man. If you get any photos of his work I would appreciate it.

Was the seat on your black GS1100e made by him?

Thanks

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            I think it will look good once you get it off that red motorcycle lift. The colors are clashing a bit.

The fairing angle looks like it is blending into the body work well. Are you doing decals? I always at least like to see the stock decals and I brazenly added some extra racing and Yoshi stickers to mine.

Yes to the decals. I ordered and received a set similar to that of this month's BOM. When that bike made the award, I was somewhat conflicted looking at it and knowing that this vintage of bikes are so beautiful stock that my resto-mod of mine was going to cause me some scorn but others.

When I bought this bike (paid $900 for it) it was tired, leaking oil all over, and had about 40k miles on the clock. I was also looking at buying a new Gixer at the time but I just couldn't stop lusting over the naked look, the inline 4, and particular lines of this model. So I went for this bike and I justified my build budget that I wouldn't spend any more then what a new GSXR1000 cost and in the end I would have classic bike with great performance and looks.

Of course I lost count of my budget spend which I understand is helps in the overall build.

Comment

Originally posted by Battleship62 View Post
              Yes to the decals. I ordered and received a set similar to that of this month's BOM. When that bike made the award, I was somewhat conflicted looking at it and knowing that this vintage of bikes are so beautiful stock that my resto-mod of mine was going to cause me some scorn but others.

When I bought this bike (paid $900 for it) it was tired, leaking oil all over, and had about 40k miles on the clock. I was also looking at buying a new Gixer at the time but I just couldn't stop lusting over the naked look, the inline 4, and particular lines of this model. So I went for this bike and I justified my build budget that I wouldn't spend any more then what a new GSXR1000 cost and in the end I would have classic bike with great performance and looks.

Of course I lost count of my budget spend which I understand is helps in the overall build.
              I think you will feel more comfortable and pleased with the GS, you can always pick up a 1-2 year old GSXR to quell what ever urge you might think you have for it.

Comment

Let there be light.

Getting close to having it back on the road. Today, I pulled it out of the shop and see how it looked in the sunlight. The earlier photos were taken at night and with only shop fluorescent lights to illuminate it.

The gap between the tank and side panel is because the tank is still laying on it an not bolted up. I also don't have the seat all the way in. Still have a few odds and ends that includes, make new brackets for the cowl, add the turn signals, put the exhaust muffler on, add decals to the back and side panels, put the cylinder head side caps back on, install petcock, hoses, fluids, this and that. In the empty key hole on the upper triple tree I'm having it fill in with a cigarette lighter so I can plug in a cell phone or GPS; maybe a radar detector after the first time I get caught doing more then 55 MPH.

Plan is getting on the road next weekend.

Comment

Looks good. That tail is really tying in well with the tank decal. The OEM seat doesn't even look back even half cocked, but some thing more curvaceous will look even better.

I think you will find that even with a fairly neutral background, the small details (not overdone) create enough visual interest to give real impact.

Yours is shaping up very well.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilRock View Post

I'm having a custom seat built right now from a guy in TN. He's been doing it 30 years on the side, and is an artist. He's done a million FZR1 seats, and he can do anything. It should be back in a couple weeks, but I'll let you know how it goes. I've looked at 1,000 GS seats, and not seen one that I like, so I have high hopes for his work and I gave him a laundry list of things I like/don't like. He's totally old school, but I'm building him a basic website. I'll hand it out once it's published.

-kevin
                    Did you every get your seat back? If so, can you throw up a picture so I can see his artistry in seat making?

Thanks.

Comment

It's gorgeous, Battleship. I would think that even if I weren't biased (I ride an 1100EZ).
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Awesome! What rear signals are those?

Comment

Originally posted by woodsrider250 View Post
                          Awesome! What rear signals are those?
                          Thanks.

Signals; not sure but I will find out. Actually I'm switching those and along adding the front signals with ones that have clear lenses with yellow bulbs.

Comment

Thanks, I love the looks of my bone-stoke GS, but the Jimmy Carter turn signals have got to go.

Comment

Test Drive

Took it out for a test drive and had no issues other than I donated one of my clip on mirrors to the Pennsylvania turnpike. Still a runner and got it up to 120 MPH and felt no vibration or wobbles.

Here it is as of today. More pictures to come.

Comment

I love how the project turned out....The Pa Pike also has one of my rubber footrest inserts....
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X