1978 gs1000e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs1000e

I purchased a 1978 GS1000E from a forum member by the name of Skuld, he started to work on it but decided that he was not ready for such a project. Here is his thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...161552&page=11 .

For the past week myself and my 14 year old son have started the process of rebuilding the bike. This is his first adventure in this arena. One of the reasons I purchased the bike was for my therapy and for him to learn engine and chassis fundamentals. this is what I do in the winters to stay sane. I just finished a 7 year resto/mod on a 1974 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser so I needed something

So it is now a rolling chassis and the engine is torn down to just the crankcase and that will be split tonight.

So far, a POP Yosh 1085 kit along with non factory cams have been found!!! There is still hone marks on the cylinder walls so a quick deglaze will be performed as the cylinders are mint. There are smooth bores on the bike but 1 and 4 cylinders have lots of carbon while 2 and 3 are clean. Head is ported but I will replace all valve seals.

There was a MLS head gasket so that must be from the Yosh kit?

Will attach pictures in the next few days.

I am stoked, I have had 2 of these bikes in my life and they were stock bores, I think this thing is going to be a power house.

Cheers,
    Daryl
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

piston, 73mm measured.

it would only allow me to upload 1 picture. If it is like other forums I am part of I guess I need more posts to qualify to upload more?

cheers
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

I guess 1 pic per post

Comment

only a little more till the blaster cleans the paint and rust off her ...

Comment

Looks like a fun project.
          Keep us posted!

Oh, you can post multiple high resolution pics if you find a hosting site.
          Easy to figure out..
          Last edited by Octain; 12-20-2012, 08:52 PM.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Sign up to Photobucket (free). Load up your pics there then you can copy/paste the "IMG" codes (that will be located next to your pics in photobucket) to your post and you will have nice big pics like this; Also you can post up to 10 per page.

Does that pipe look familiar? Same hand bent yosh. The second pic is after I had a custom upswept can made for the header. Local outfit named Jemco her in houston does the work. If you had any interest PM me. They could probably just copy mine again and I could ship it to you.

I wanted to buy that bike off of Skuld when he first got it a couple of years ago. Like you I had a hunch it was loaded with goodies. But an authentic Pops big bore??? FUDGE............ Is the head stamped as well?
            Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2012, 09:36 PM.

Comment

This should be a good build to follow.
              The father and son aspect is an added bonus.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

That didn't take much, I'm hooked. But then again I'm easy. Looks like you guys aren't afraid to dig into her, great stuff.
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                  That didn't take much, I'm hooked. But then again I'm easy. Looks like you guys aren't afraid to dig into her, great stuff.
                  Nope not afraid to rip anything apart, been doing this type of stuff for many years.

Now for a question, I should post it in the suspension forum but will try here.
                  The front fork tubes are pitted badly so I was thinking of installing a newer setup. I have a chance to get a complete setup off a 2003 SV1000 minus the whee for a smoking deal. I have searched but not found a positive answer.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                    Nope not afraid to rip anything apart, been doing this type of stuff for many years.

Now for a question, I should post it in the suspension forum but will try here.
                    The front fork tubes are pitted badly so I was thinking of installing a newer setup. I have a chance to get a complete setup off a 2003 SV1000 minus the whee for a smoking deal. I have searched but not found a positive answer.

Thanks
                    I think you mean you are looking for a bolt on new generation front end set up? There is ton's of information on new set ups for the Kats and 1100's but the 8 valve stuff is harder to find. You might check on Old Skool Suzuki website. I am sure they can tell you.

This is a pic of a bike that was posted a while back. IIRC the guy said it was a bolt on front end and it was some mid 2000"s katana front end. Don't know for sure though. If you find out anything please let me know. I have thought of doing a front end swap on my 1K.

Comment

Now that is Christmas opening her up and finding a ton of aftermarket (especially) Yoshimura stuff. I loved their stuff in the late 70's. Were they still as good after the parting of the ways?
                      1983 GS1100E

Comment

I haven't seen many SV conversions

GSX and GSXR are the most common , occasionally a Bandit (for the tubular handle bar) but that has a different steering stem.

You'll need to pick up an 1100 aluminum swing arm to fit the wider modern rear wheel

A spacer here, an adapter there - all pretty basic stuff I'm sure you can handle

So, it's a bolt up plus deal
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          I haven't seen many SV conversions

GSX and GSXR are the most common , occasionally a Bandit (for the tubular handle bar) but that has a different steering stem.

You'll need to pick up an 1100 aluminum swing arm to fit the wider modern rear wheel

A spacer here, an adapter there - all pretty basic stuff I'm sure you can handle

So, it's a bolt up plus deal
                          Are you saying a GSXR swing arm or a GS1100 swing arm? I believe the current swing arm on her is from a GS1100? What would be the widest tire I can put on that swing arm?

I have seen the GSXR front ends and from my research it appears a early 1100 or mid gen 750 is the ideal set up. Early or late gen 750 GSXR is too short?

Maybe I will just get my tubes rechromed, who knows with all the other goodies on this bike there may already be some good quality springs in there and maybe emulators also!

Daryl

Comment

GS 1100 swing arm

Some people have gone with a 160 or 180 rear tire you need the proper wheel to do this

Yrs, in some years the front end is too short, be sure to keep it long enough
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Russr33, can i ask what swingarm is inthe second pic? Looks like one that came on my old GPZ1100.
                              BB

Comment

Working...
                              X