X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a great build. Thanks.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

So I had here out for a 200 km jaunt today.

All I can say is this bike far out does any expectations i had. It is a pure pleasure to drive except for a few things, one being the buzziness at about 4-4500 rpm. The other being the slightly hash bangs on rough spots. I got rid of the Marzocchi shocks and put some progressives on there. It handles way better but just harsher. I also need to address the nose diving under hard braking, apparently it is a Bandit trait that Progressive springs easily eliminates.

But this thing corners amazingly well, I have never driven on radial tires and all I can say is "oh my god" this thing rocks. I was with my cousin and he was on his R1 and he was impressed how well I kept up with him. I am not saying it can stay with it, but on the street it can play with it! I can change my path in a turn and it does not upset the frame one little bit. The wobbles I experienced with my first 2 1000's do not exist in any form on this bike. The torque that occurs from most throttle positions is simply a pleasure to play with. The brakes stop her pretty fast but the rear brakes seem very ineffective? I can't lock the rear wheel at all, a good thing maybe?

She likes to turn in really fast compared to the original 1000's, but is controllable.

One thing though, she really likes the fuel!

This picture was taken in Feb, not today!

Cheers,
      Daryl
      Last edited by Fjbj40; 06-08-2014, 07:44 PM.
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

So there is the reward for all your hard work.
        Obviously there are spring options for the rear Progressives.
        Do you know which rate you have?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Do not know the spring rate. Is there anyway to tell, markings of some sort?
          1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Usually there is a sticker on the springs that tells you, 95/130 or 105/150 sort of thing.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Wowza! Great job and she looks fantastic. A far cry from when I first got her. You have done great work sir! Glad to see a great bike be reclaimed.

Btw, i'm unfamiliar with POPY YOSH. I'm guessing that has to do with the ported cylinders that give it that extra power? =^.^=

You should take a youtube video of a go-around the bike and then a drive by.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2014, 02:59 PM.

Comment

So I changed out the 33 smoothbores to GSXR1100 flatslides. Way more streetable. with the 33's she worked great at 4000 and above but below that she was cranky, always farting and popping and idled only at about 1400 smoothly, below that not very nice. Also took a good 3-4 minutes to idle without choke. But as I said above 4000 she was a riot!

With the BST34SS carbs she will idle off choke at 1100 RPM in about 30 seconds. Does not pull as hard up high but I need to get that stage 3 kit ordered!

So I weighed her today, with calibrated scales we use to weigh aircraft.

With a full tank she weighs 471 lbs!, That works out to 439 lbs empty, pretty good me thinks! According to the GSResources model review it weighs 542 lbs. Not sure if that is dry or wet? Saw many sights and the weight was anywhere between 507-562 lbs.

If this is true I have removed a lot of weight or the scales are out of calibration.

Daryl

Comment

How about some pictures....
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

image.jpg
                    Originally posted by azr View Post
                    How about some pictures....
                    more to follow

Comment

Ok, 1 more
                      Attached Files

Comment

Oil cooler from Vmass
                        Attached Files

Comment

Picture of carbs for fit and clearance reference.

they are BST43SS from a 1986 GSXR1100 with OEM jetting, non California.

Daryl
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X