1980 gs1000g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs1000g

Hey everyone! Just picked up a 1980 GS1000G that needs some work. I wasn't familiar with these bikes until I ran across this one on craigslist. Seems like people think pretty highly of them. It is in decent shape cosmetically but it's going to need some work to get it back on the road.

The carbs are missing. It also has a pretty bad oil leak and I am in the process of trying to figure out whether or not the engine needs anything substantial before I start spending too much money.

If it turns out to be repairable within my budget and abilities the plan is to get it on the road and ride it for awhile. If all goes well when I get more space I want to eventually tear it down and at least do a cosmetic refurb or possibly turn it into something interesting, maybe a sporty bagger.

Anything specific I should know about this bike? Build suggestions? Any help will be appreciated!

Hi and welcome.Check out this site by our "greeter".

He has the 850 version of your bike.

1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Thanks rover. Looks like a ton of great info.

I am pretty good with my hands and have experience with 12v electrical but I don't have much experience with engines and such so I'm going to need as much info as I can get. One of the members of a vintage bike meetup group I am in here in Orlando is an ex Suzuki mechanic/instructor and he offered to take a look at the bike for me, so hopefully his expertise and the gold mine of info here will get me off to a good start.

Comment

Whatever it is it's repairable...

The headlight is incorrect so the bike may have sustained damage to the front end at some point in time, or it may have had a windjammer on it that was removed. By the looks of the headlight I'd go with the latter option.

The bike has an aftermarket exhaust on it. That could be the reason for the carbs coming up missing. Someone may have removed them at some point to rejet them and failed to finish the job.

Did the bike come with the air box?
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          Whatever it is it's repairable...
          Yea, but the question is, is it repairable within my talents and budget? I'm willing to get my hands dirty but am limited on funds, tools, and knowledge.

The headlight is incorrect so the bike may have sustained damage to the front end at some point in time, or it may have had a windjammer on it that was removed. By the looks of the headlight I'd go with the latter option.
          There is also some wiring that has been tampered with below the headlight. The rear turn signals are new LED's so it is possible that someone was in the process of putting some on the front as well. Not too worried about the electrical stuff. I owned an electronics shop for about a decade and did stereo and alarm installation and troubleshooting on newer cars so I should be able to sort that stuff out no prob.

The bike has an aftermarket exhaust on it. That could be the reason for the carbs coming up missing. Someone may have removed them at some point to rejet them and failed to finish the job.

Did the bike come with the air box?
          The air box is missing as well. The guy I bought it from told me that it had pods on it and whoever he had rebuilding the carbs left town so he never got them back.

If I determine that the engine is repairable within reason I'm going to pick up a factory air box along with the carbs. If I ever decide to do more than just put the bike back on the road I'd like to do pods but right now it's all about getting it on the road with a small investment.

Comment

Originally posted by BluePlateSpecial View Post
            Yea, but the question is, is it repairable within my talents and budget? <snip> but am limited on funds, tools, and knowledge.
            Yes. Minimal tools needed and you can borrow a torque wrench or buy one from HF real cheap. ($10) IF you watch Ebay carefully you can buy all the gaskets and seals (OEM of course!) for less than $125

The air box is missing as well. The guy I bought it from told me that it had pods on it and whoever he had rebuilding the carbs left town so he never got them back.

I'm going to pick up a factory air box along with the carbs. If I ever decide to do more than just put the bike back on the road.
            Do yourself a favor and locate an air box. Much less trouble that way.

Comment

Ah, so your the one that stole my bike. That bike got away from me twice.
              first time I couldn't get back with the money before it was sold and after the buyer backed out it was offered to me when I spent my money on gifts. guess it just wasn't meant to be. Your head light is off a vetter windjammer fairing. I have the one I took of my bike if your looking to put one back on.
              I'll send you an email in a PM to someone that has extra cv34 carb sets. He might have an extra air box if that's the way you want to go with it.

PS, welcome to the madhouse.

SuzyII (second bike) in my signature.
              Last edited by gsrick; 01-04-2013, 08:28 PM.
              GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I have an airbox i got in a parts lot i bought with a G and an L, I don't know which it is or if there is a difference, If you can use it,it's yours for shipping. I'll take a pic tomorrow, and hopefully a member can identify it.
                BB

Comment

Wow, this board is awesome!

Rick- sorry I stole your bike for the second time I love my little Honda but after riding it for awhile I realized I need something bigger. Would have liked to have found something in the 650-750cc range but when this one came up I did a little research and it looks like these are pretty solid bikes so I thought I'd take a chance on it if I got it for the right price, so here I am!

Yea, that headlight is ugly and isn't in the best shape. I definitely need a set of carbs and an airbox as soon as I determine whether or not I can get it running. Hopefully will be able to figure out what's up with the engine next week.

Bill- Thanks, I would appreciate that!

Comment

Bwringer (Brian) has a set of head light ears in the parts for sale section. You'll need those to go along with a that new headlight assembly as well.

The reason your headlight wiring looks the way it does is, those wires are normally inside the headlight bucket. When mounting a windjammer, they take those same wires and cover them with a vinyl drawstring pouch. The front turn signals were removed also. No need for them as the windjammer (IV) came with integral signals.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                      The reason your headlight wiring looks the way it does is, those wires are normally inside the headlight bucket. When mounting a windjammer, they take those same wires and cover them with a vinyl drawstring pouch. The front turn signals were removed also. No need for them as the windjammer (IV) came with integral signals.
                      That makes sense. I had my Honda's headlight apart and it has a rat's nest from the factory. Seems like they just wad 'em up and shove 'em in.

Comment

Welcome buddy

Here is a compilation of some of the best GS1100/GS1000 restoration threads over the last couple of years:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

And my own little blog: My GS1100 Blog

Greetings
                        Richard
                        sigpic
                        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Thanks London, I'll check it out.

Well, had my guy take a look at at and after a little coaxing we were able to get the engine to turn all the way over. He said that it hadn't ran in awhile but there has already been some work done to the engine and it is definitely worth getting it back on the road. There is a little squeak coming from one of the cylinders when we turned it by hand but he said we'd have to get some good oil in there and move it around before we know if that's going to be a problem. We originally thought there was no oil in the engine but when he took the plug off there was about 1.5 gallons of oily gas in there. Or should I say gassy oil?

Since I don't have a factory air box he wants to go with 26mm slide carbs with pods. Need to get some new fork seals, a valve cover gasket, oil filter and spring, front brakes, and some screws for the front master cylinder and hopefully I will be good to go. Hopefully I can have this thing on the road by bike week.

Does anyone know where to get ahold of intake boots that will adapt the 26mm carbs to this bike?

Comment

Since I don't have a factory air box he wants to go with 26mm slide carbs with pods. ... Does anyone know where to get ahold of intake boots that will adapt the 26mm carbs to this bike?
                            The '79 and older 1000 had 26mm slide carbs, but I don't know if their boots will work for the 1000G.

There were people offering you airboxes, why not take them up on that? That would make the bike run a lot better than trying to ADAPT some carbs that you would have to buy. And, when you add pods, you introduce the "fun" of jetting, so ... good luck.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              The '79 and older 1000 had 26mm slide carbs, but I don't know if their boots will work for the 1000G.

There were people offering you airboxes, why not take them up on that? That would make the bike run a lot better than trying to ADAPT some carbs that you would have to buy. And, when you add pods, you introduce the "fun" of jetting, so ... good luck.

I'm all about the easiest, cheapest way to get the bike back on the road.

My guy is an ex mechanic instructor for suzuki bikes and I am just getting my feet wet with this so I'm following his lead. He's the one who will be rebuilding and jetting the carbs and he's pretty confident he can get everything set up this way. He said he's a little rusty working on the GS bikes but watching him diagnose the problems it looks like he could probably rebuild them in his sleep

Comment

Working...
                              X