No announcement yet.

BassCliff GS850GT Top End Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roloc also has "bristle" disks. They are a nylon plastic and come in a few different stiffness levels and diameters. I use the yellow ones on aluminum and they CAN'T score the aluminum. I have used them on almost every aluminum intake for gasket removal I have done. (in 9 years as a mechanic, I've done a few) They aren't as cheap as the "scotchbrite" type pads are, but do a better, safer job...

Just something to look into if you're still fighting it...
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

After watching a few YouTube videos, that roloc yellow looks like the ticket.

Comment

Soooooooo subscribed.

Cliff, I love that you manage to stay a few months ahead of me in doing all these jobs. So much of the reason I've stuck with it and kept taking on bigger and bigger jobs is, quite simply - "Cliff proved that it can be done, I've seen the pictures."

Thanks again!

Comment

"Cliff proved that it can be done, I've seen the pictures."
          +1

I may be doing this next winter as I have a moderate head gasket leak.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Hi Cliff,
            I am just curious about your thoughts with respect to why you are going through stators every two years? I am sure you have taken all the preventative steps to ensure you wiring is up to snuff, good, redundant grounding etc. How many miles have you been getting on your stator before its toast?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
              +1

I may be doing this next winter as I have a moderate head gasket leak.
              Let's define moderate. I go by how long it takes between when you degrease and wash the outside of the engine to the time your pant cuffs are threatened by oily grime migrating downwind.

I can go 1-2 weeks of daily riding with mine before I need to use Shout or Goop on the cuffs of the Carhartt double-front dungarees I use as summer riding pants.

Comment

Hey BassCliff, I just pulled the top of my engine apart today and took pictures while in the process. It's the 16valve 1100ez and if you want any of the pictures to go a long with your 8valve let me know. Would be good to have both in the same thread.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2013, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Hey BC! I just got to the part of this job where I needed a valve spring compressor. Not wanting to spend a $100 or more on one, I ended up using an 8" C-clamp and a $5 oxygen sensor nut that I bought at Harbor Freight. It has a missing side so you can get something in there to pull out the split colletts.

I posted a couple of photos in a different thread. Of course, with all the friends you have, you can probably borrow a valve spring compressor from someone. But just in case...

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...6&postcount=28

Comment

any progress cliff?

greg
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Don't give up Cliff! Stay in it!

Comment

Subscribed -- better late than never eh?
                        It's smoke that make electronic components work.
                        Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
                        '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
                        '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
                        '82 GS1000SZ
                        '82 GS1100GL
                        '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

With the amount of down time you have you could remove the pistons and just leave them in a bucket of parts washer solution to remove all of the carbon, use a parts brush and they'll look like new. That would help keep the oil control rings from sticking again..

Comment

Not rushing or pestering you at all, but hoping you're just too busy to post or work on Jessie, and not stuck (either on a mechanical disaster or under something heavy).

Comment

Hello friends,

Just thought I'd drop into my little thread to let you know that I'm still alive and kicking. I have a couple of weekends in February that are open and I'm planning to put Jessie back together then. Sometimes life just doesn't let you do what you want. But the weather here has been in the 80s for January. Can you believe that? I really need a ride!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi Cliff,

Yes, So Cal 2014. The winter that wasn't ! My Mom is running the AC in Borrego .

Hey, I saw Glendora, in the news, on fire. Is that one of your favorite roads ?
                                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                                X