No announcement yet.

GSX400f - "WesCafé" - Build - Melb/Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two soup tins or house bricks. Tie string around them, then have the lines go parallel (same measurement at front and back of bike) all the way around the rear and back along the other side. It will be obvious if its out of line.

Alternatively just lay a broomhandle/pole/etc along the side of the rear wheel, pointing backwards. It'll also be really obvious if the rear wheel is skewiff... the broom will point off to one side or the other.

- boingk

Comment

Yep, what boingk said.

What I do is use a long straight length of steel square-tube, and hold it firmly against the sides of the rear tyre. Then, having done a little arithmetic (ie. working out the difference in the tyre widths, and dividing by 2), I know how far the tubing *should* be from the side of the front tyre, if the wheels are in line. Then I just adjust the orientation of the rear wheel using the chain tension adjusters, until I have the tubing the correct distance out from the bottom of the front tyre.

I know that prob. doesn't make that much sense in print... but suffice to say that there are a number of tried and true methods for aligning the rear wheel correctly.

In fact, lots of folks use a small laser pointer attached to the side of the rear sprocket, and use that to make sure that it's 'pointing' straight at the front sprocket. Note that this method assumes that your sprockets have the correct spacers, etc.

Just find something that makes sense and works for you.

Comment

thanks for the info guys! i understand

some pics of the new painted wheels and forks (with new springs and fork oil)

bit daunting all that wiring lol

Comment

So the front tyre looks like a Metzler Lasertec... but what's the rear tyre?

Some good looking work there, very neat stuff. Don't worry too much about the wiring; it's not that complicated!!! (until there's something that bamboozles you, that is )

Comment

Pirelli City Demon lol

my mate always gives me ****... saying im a city *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ (he rides on sports demons)... but he loves the tread pattern

rear was changed for roadworthy... front was changed a few months after. probably not wise on different tyres but oh well.

Comment

ooo ooo and i painted the triple trees too.... they were filthy and now they are nice

Comment

In my book (which is a bit on the thin side, hah), there's nothing too much wrong with mixing tyre brands/types. The main things are that they've got plenty of tread, not squared-off, and aren't hardened with age.

And yeah, that is a pretty cool-looking tread pattern.

Comment

HI Nik
                  Mate I also have a gsx 400 f but I am keeping it stock . the bike is 99% complete except for the little tool holder and tool bag. I will be starting the resto when I get the room in my shed . Good to see some one else with the same bike as mine.

Comment

Nik, your mate's onto a good thing with the Sport Demons.

I just put some on mine and man they rock! I haven't even had a real good run in dry weather yet (rains every time I try) but they already feel 10 times better than the Scorpions I had on there and have me feeling much more stable in the twisties and wet.

One day I'll get a whole big ride without rain and then I'll really know how they feel...
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by john mc View Post
                      HI Nik
                      Mate I also have a gsx 400 f but I am keeping it stock . the bike is 99% complete except for the little tool holder and tool bag. I will be starting the resto when I get the room in my shed . Good to see some one else with the same bike as mine.
                      Ive got spare parts for you then!!!! lol

all indicators, all gauges, .... lots of goodies haha

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                        Nik, your mate's onto a good thing with the Sport Demons.

Not really.... they are on his Yamaha XVS1100 bobber lol

He has a GS850 though as well. So he has some brains...

Comment

Hahaha nice...
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

fresh from my mates place and his makerbot 2.0 3D printer...

I CADded up these parts the other day - they are perfect.
                            License plate holder with LED indicator mounts, and front fork indicator mounts.

Just need to be primed sanded and painted!

Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2013, 11:13 PM.

Comment

that's looking cool... looking fwd to updates
                              GS850GT

Comment

looks like your not the only one with a gsx400f
                                mines on the road in stock form, just minus the tacho and a few other bits and pieces..
                                Fighting an electrical demon at the moment myself :/

Comment

Working...
                                X