Best Motor Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
    My farm store didnt have my Mystic JT8 15W40 sludge so I used some Rotella sludge. I swear the Bike had a smoother clutch with the Mystic sludge and now thay have it for $27.99 for 5 gallons. $5.60 a gallon.....less than a buck and a half a qt.......Im going to get two pails !
    Checking around the internet and it seems that Mystic sauce has about 1300 ppm zinc and 1150 phosphorus. Good numbers. I'd run that stuff without concern.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

There is a tractor supply in IL, MI and one other state that carries it for $24 for the 2 gallon jug. In IN it is TSC, and they want $30.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        Ya'll must have scared him off. He still only has one post.
        I think he got his answer and is probably out riding instead of getting butt hurt in an oil thread .

They do sell new ones, you know.

I know, and they are cheap and easy, and give a great excuse to upgrade to allen screws. I will get to it, but it's barely and issue (if I'm charging hard in 1st as it gets up to 7 grand.... not often), and I LOVE to procrastinate.
        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
          ..., and I LOVE to procrastinate.
          I was going to procrastinate, but ...

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I was going to procrastinate, but ...

I was waiting for that.

Comment

I was waiting for that.
              Happy to oblige.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Happy to oblige.

Yes, but did you catch the double entendre?

Comment

Oh, yeah.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

I use Rotella beause it smells SOOOO
                    GOOOOD

Comment

I use what BassCliff recommended here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/.../oilchange.pdf

Can't remember the brand but I will look for Rotella from now on.

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Checking around the internet and it seems that Mystic sauce has about 1300 ppm zinc and 1150 phosphorus. Good numbers. I'd run that stuff without concern.
                        Plus the boat likes it. 3.0L Mercruiser. I have Rotella in it now and its stinky at idle. I think the Mystic runs cleaner.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

The classic motor oil debate. Gotta love it! Gearheads across the world will probably still be arguing about this topic when were all zipping around in our flying Jetson's pods that run on space algae

I have always used conventional dino oil in all my cars and trucks and had pretty good success with it although I am pretty methodical about oil change/filter intervals which we know makes a huge difference on engine longevity, performance no matter what the quality or type of oil in question is.

Since I just got my GS less then ten days ago and the previous owner didn't have any thing to report in terms of maintenance (he said he rode it once and then it sat besides the occasional blue moon when he would start it up in the garage, anyways you get the jist of it.) I wanted to start fresh with a new oil change. The bike runs great but when I drained it the oil was pretty nasty, didn't show signs of being burnt but was just very dirty. I figured why not try an experiment and do the first oil change with synthetic. My thinking was that due to the structure of a more modern synthetic oil maybe it would help to wipe out whatever gunk might have built up in the motor and also synthetics are known for their lubricating qualities which seemed like a good bet for an old motor that had been collecting dust.

I used 2.5 qrts. of Mobil 1 Racing 4t 10-W40 (Also at this time installed a new K & N filter, KN-133) The bottle specifically states it is made to comply with wet clutch bikes and it also meets and exceeds a whole litany of the sae standards.

After test riding the bike I found the results pretty interesting, if not slightly concerning.
                          I let the bike warm up in the driveway with the choke on for a couple mins then turned off the choke and rode away. When I pulled out into the street from my house and revved up It was very difficult to upshift into 2nd, I had to exert a lot more force than usually and it went into gear with sort of a harsh clicking noise that didn't sound very normal. The next five minutes as I rode around I ranged in speed from about 20 -50 Mph. The shifting felt a little clunky which had not been the case on the other 5 occasions I had rode the bike since purchase. But after another couple minutes I noticed the shifting become blatantly more smooth almost effortless and the engine was revving nicely and seemed to have a more cohesive power band. So hopefully any crappy shifting will not rear its head again.

My theory is that the initial shifting was compromised because the oil hadn't had a chance yet to move around and truly saturate all the parts of the transmission and clutch. Has anyone experienced something similar directly after an oil change?

The bike seems to be performing very well now but I may still switch to conventional or even try the Shell Rotella Diesel.

Comment

Screen shot 2015-01-22 at 12.53.59 AM.jpgThis is what the packaging looks like. It was $10.00 a quart at O'Reilys Auto Parts but I got my bike on CL via a pretty good deal (Trade for a Honda CRF150) and have never bought premium oil like this except redline gear oil for my truck so I thought why not give it a shot.

Comment

Your old oil was full of sludge and sediment. What you have done is flushed the crud and a lot of it is probably living in your filter. If I see nasty stuff coming out I drop the sump plate, there will be a layer of sediment stuck to it, most important , clean the suction tube mesh filter, get cheap oil and run it for a few hours, drain and refill until I'm happy most of it has shifted.
                              With short change intervals on these old motors I don't think fully synthetic has a significant advantage over semi-syn or dino.

A bit out of date but a lot of sense - well at least it matches my prejudices
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Vintage oil for vintage machines. Somewhat like a fine bottle of aged port or scotch....

Came in cost saving gallons too! I think this one was like $0.39 when new!

Comment

Working...
                                X