No announcement yet.

Best Motor Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy Conserving Oil = clutch slippage. It has friction modifiers to promote better fuel mileage in car engines. Ruins wet clutches. Usually it is 10W-30 or thinner.
    Synthetic by itself does not promote clutch slippage, never has. I have run it in a lot of wet clutch motorcycles since the 70s. AmsOil, Mobil 1, all kinds of oils.

I have even put it in bikes that had worn clutches that were just starting to slip, it didnt make the slipping any worse.
    Last edited by tkent02; 06-22-2013, 08:18 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by RobG1970
      Yeah and I think all YOUR Post are BS.... you don't know as much as you think you do!!!!!! stop jumping on the boat and do some research before you post your bad info...I have been PM people to correct info after following your post for a while...LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP!!!
      After living within an hour of Tom and riding with him on several occasions I can assure you he has forgotten more about motorcycles than you'll ever know. Try listening to his advice and actually following it before you bad mouth someone you have never met.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Tom may not pull any punches and some may even consider that rude, but he knows his GSs. He's also been on GSR long enough to make lots of friends. Be careful before you alienate yourself from one of the best GS resources out there.

Not a threat...a friendly warning.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
          Tom may not pull any punches and some may even consider that rude, but he knows his GSs. He's also been on GSR long enough to make lots of friends. Be careful before you alienate yourself from one of the best GS resources out there.

Not a threat...a friendly warning.
          Thanks Marc - and I agree a 100%, but it does go both ways... we have a lot very YOUNG first time mechanics on here trying to revive the same GS's that we love and work so hard to keep alive. If they feel humiliated for asking a question they may not want to come back... I know if my skin was not so thick, I would not came back.......
          Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2013, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Mud slinging, poo flinging, edited posts...

NOW it's an oil thread!

Comment

It's getting there...

Comment

Dang, missed all the fun. I LOVE oil threads!!! Open mouth, insert foot. Never fails. Great spectacle.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You usually provide a few caustic oilpinions.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    You usually provide a few caustic oilpinions.
                    Lub'ba You...R

Comment

My farm store didnt have my Mystic JT8 15W40 sludge so I used some Rotella sludge. I swear the Bike had a smoother clutch with the Mystic sludge and now thay have it for $27.99 for 5 gallons. $5.60 a gallon.....less than a buck and a half a qt.......Im going to get two pails !
                      Last edited by bonanzadave; 06-23-2013, 10:59 PM.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I've never had a clutch slippage issue using my Rotella Synthetic diesel oil. My 30 yr old Suzi has never run better.
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2013, 11:41 PM.

Comment

I have minor clutch slippage issues. It's called, 35 year old clutch springs with 50,000 miles on them.
                          "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Wow. A HIDDEN oil thread. Glad I missed it until now; I can see all the drama that unfolded, including some (apparently) deleted posts. Hehe, GSR can be so entertaining.

BTW, I use recycled automotive oil in mine, 5W-10. Seemed to run O.K. for several miles and then the engine just stopped. Must have been my charging system. Wait, its not a GS, so it couldn't be that.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                              I don't believe an oil thread this long got started by a guy's first post.
                              Ya'll must have scared him off. He still only has one post.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                                I have minor clutch slippage issues. It's called, 35 year old clutch springs with 50,000 miles on them.
                                They do sell new ones, you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X