1983 GS1000G - One for the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Art,

It's common for them to not be set right.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Good news that, then. Renovation of tensioner remains the plan. Shouldn't be a big problem, the howto writeup is excellent.

Comment

I officially hate drilling out stainless insex bolts.
        I also officially suck at it. Almost as much as I suck at sharpening drill bits.

I've spent ages on them bolts. Feel free to laugh at me, I know I do. =)

Comment

Nice Bike

You mentioned possible 1983 and I would concur with that. In that year they factory painted the engines black and put on the rear air shocks. You might also have the front air shocks with the little balancing tube between the stanchions just under the headlamp shell. If you have all this then I would say 1983 is a cert. Engine and VIN number will verify that.

Have a look at my Exhaust Bolts Out blog posting on my GS1100G Restoration. They take time. Keep sloshing on the concoction.

Greetings
          Richard
          sigpic
          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Yup, black engine. Rear shocks are aftermarket Öhlins and fork seems to have no air nipples whatsoever.
            Sold in Sweden as 1983 model, so I guess there be parts list at the swedish Suzuki places. They are to expensive for my taste though...

I still hate them bolts. But time is on my side, I agree. Soon they will be no more and I will still be around. Glad to see you got yours out!

Plenty of other things to fiddle with meanwhile. Today was carb day.

Swedish uncapped pilot screws on very dirty carb:

No drilling? No drilling! Yay!

No holes in the diaphragms either, except this on all four at the very edge:

It is smaller than the image shows, and this is the worst one. From what I've read here this is nothing to worry about (it is far inside the clamp zone and cannot possibly leak air), but I will dab some glue on it regardless. I think.

Other than that I had zero problems. Took my time, followed Nessims fantastic guide step by step. Ground a set of screwdrivers to perfect fit, that is one key to success.

Speaking of grinding I had a sad loss. My trusty bench grinder died. Made in August 1986 it must be the longest surviving powertool I have ever owned.
            Bought new one for $30 and hoping that will last me another 27 years.

Anyway, the second key to success, aside from perfect fit when it comes to screwdrivers is seen on the far right in this picture:

Would never have gotten all the screws out intact without it ... and that is despite the fact that I've been dousing them in penetrating rusteating oil every time I've been in the garage.

And here they are, resting on a shelf awaiting dip:

All in all a good days work.

Comment

Working...
            X