Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good!

Comment

Tonight was reinstall the stator into the cover, mount the signal generator, shined up the starter cover and installed the starter.

Broke down and soldered a bullet connector to replace the crumbled oil temp sensor wire..got tired of waiting to find one.

Short of the sprocket cover and new emblems for the points and stator covers, the engine rehab is done. Will polish the sprocket cover another day. Once the engines back in the frame, I will do the valve adjustments and throw the cover on and be done.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

What are you too g to do about the lost title? Are you going to be able to license this she. Its done or is it too g to be an ahrma superbike?

Comment

Greg has done the tilte work and its in his name now...as i understand things he has done the Bonded title in Texas. This puts the bike in his name and makes him the legal owner.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Today was a wrench-a-thon. Engine set in the frame, new front sprocket mounted, cleaned up the new glass in the dash and did some final touches to it and got that all mounted, put new orings in the intake manifolds and mounted them.

I am so proud of how the rehab for the dash turned out...lots of fun stuff inside there to play with.

Its starting to look like a motorcycle again. Still have to run the wiring harness, bleed the brakes, put on the foot pegs, mount the coils, and some other odds and ends.

Comment

It's looking really nice, Chuck.

Looking at your speedo and tach position prompted me to look at the ones I have had/have. All three of mine are in slightly different positions within the housing.

The low mileage one I am working on now has them almost straight up and down, with maybe a slight twist inward on the tach.

I guess it didn't matter much to the "gauge guy" in Japan!

Comment

Rich...comparing the pics of it when Greg got it versus the way it turned out after I redone it, I cant complain. I did however notice the speedo and tach cables were hard to get started on the threads because they were hitting then top tripple tree where the gauges bolt to it. I had to take a screw driver and pry the threads a bit to the side so I could get the cables attatched.

So yeah, the gauge guys didnt give arip about much is an accurate assumption..LOL

Comment

Just read the whole thread, and all I gotta say is great work! Glad you are saving/bringing this bike back to life!

Cant wait to see finished product. Keep it up!

Comment

Awesome resurrection of this 1000S. Fantastic work!
                    1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Rich...comparing the pics of it when Greg got it versus the way it turned out after I redone it, I cant complain. I did however notice the speedo and tach cables were hard to get started on the threads because they were hitting then top tripple tree where the gauges bolt to it. I had to take a screw driver and pry the threads a bit to the side so I could get the cables attatched.

So yeah, the gauge guys didnt give arip about much is an accurate assumption..LOL
                      I think in any position it is tough to get the cables on to the gauges........

Keep going....you are motivating me!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        Greg has done the tilte work and its in his name now...as i understand things he has done the Bonded title in Texas. This puts the bike in his name and makes him the legal owner.
                        That was an interesting story actually. I bought the bike from a guy who found it in the barn of an old church property he purchased at a government auction.

The owners of the church property were both deceased. I did some title search work on the bike and found that the bike had been registered in Texas to a guy who died about 10 years ago. The bike had not been registered many years before that.

The really interesting coincidence is that the guys last name was Billingsley, and my last name is Billingsly.
                        82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                        80 gs1000s

Comment

Todays progress report:::::

New wheel bearing installed
                          Wiring harness reinstalled
                          Got the right handle switch mounted and put on the Frank Z. decals.
                          Got the sprockets and chain mounted and adjusted.
                          Valves checked and adjusted.
                          Decals for the dash indicator lights put on...looks darn good too
                          Put the clutch safety switch in the perch and ran the clutch cable up to the perch also. Still need to organize the wires in the battery box compartment and zip tie it all nice and neat...Sundays project.

Comment

WELL DONE ! I am surprised how good those controls decals look. It is as if they were painted in there.
                            82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                            80 gs1000s

Comment

Chuck did you get the dash decals off frank z like the right handle switch?
                              GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
                              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
                              1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
                              1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ged View Post
                                Chuck did you get the dash decals off frank z like the right handle switch?
                                actually I did not. I didn't realize someone here had them. I got them off ebay pretty cheap from across the pond for about $12 shipped to my door.

SUZUKI GS400 GS550 GS750 GS850 GS1000 CONSOLE RESTORATION DECAL SET

SUZUKI GS400 GS550 GS750 GS850 GS1000 CONSOLE RESTORATION DECAL SET See original listing

82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                                80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                                X