No announcement yet.

Reluctant Project - Cooley Barn Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you guy's still working on this one?

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
      Are you guy's still working on this one?
      I haven't heard from Chuck about it in a while, but the last I heard was that the painter broke his wrist and that slowed things a bit. I hope it doesn't have to wait till next summer to sell it.

I have some shiny stuff to send Chuck when we get down to the last bits.
      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
      80 gs1000s

Comment

Sorry to hear............ having a painter with a broken wrist will certainly alter your target completion date!

Comment

If you are looking for a full set of stripes, I have a spare set from Reproduction Decals (or RD Decals) never used them as I'm keeping mine with the original paint.

PM me if you want them.
          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Hey Guys,

Is this bike done and sold or is it on the back burner? Or, maybe it will get passed on to another member for finishing,I know a guy who needs a project.

Comment

Its as done as far I can get it and its in my storage unit. Fairing paint and pinstripes needs finish, the brakes bled, and the front fender installed. Hes gonna also need to figure out what he wants to do about mirrors and it needs tires. Ive done all the other mechanical work and last i actually started the bike was back in June. Im not in a position to take it to him down in Dallas right now though and I am surely not good enough to finish the fairings paint and stripes so thats gonna be on him to figure that out. I have told him if he can make arrangements for picking it up he is free to come get it anytime he wants. Other than that i dont have anything to add.

The painter was having trouble with the paint cracking in a small spot on the fairing and spent a lot beyond what was quoted and bailed on it. Tank, fender, tail piece, and side covers are all done though. Soon as the fairing gets done the new wind screen can be put on and the fairing mounted to the bike. Add mirrors and thats about it...short of new tires.

EDIT:: Needs driver..and maybe some passenger foot pegs as well. When it was crashed the driver foot pegs got bent up pretty good.
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-27-2015, 03:53 PM.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

So it's almost there. How did the paint come out, any pictures?

Comment

Pretty nice...no Larry for sure but its pretty good. I havent taken any pics but i guess i can sometime soon.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

did you find mirrors for it ?
                    I think i remember a thread by Kiwi, where he mentions mirrors from
                    a RG500 are a close match for the originals.
                    Can't find the posting though.
                    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

You look like you get a lot of snow and ice there. I'm sure that slows things down a bit for you. As far as the paint scheme it had on it when you got it, I'd be willing to bet it was painted in the early 90s. That looks like a GM green real popular at the time.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                      Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                        did you find mirrors for it ?
                        I think i remember a thread by Kiwi, where he mentions mirrors from
                        a RG500 are a close match for the originals.
                        Can't find the posting though.
                        Visually similar and with similar spacing. One uses studs and the other uses bolts. Someone in the know will be able to tell the difference but average Joe certainly will not.
                        -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC
                        DONE!!! Rebuild thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=155564
                        -2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Comment

This is an example of why I hate owning a "classic collector's" whatever. RPITA and a project that is never finished because perfect is impossible.
                          Sell it and get chiseled or sued by a A-H "collector".
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                          X