No announcement yet.

Tanks GS750T Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for fun I turned the key and hit the start button on my rat bike before tearing all the parts off it and wouldn't you know it, fired right up.

Certainly has a very different feel to it over the pretty one.

The rat bike is noticeably faster as well.

It spent the whole winter outside and exposed to the elements and fired right up today, topped up the tires and lubed and adjusted the chain, swapped speedo and tach cables from the TD and rode over 200 kms!

Damn I love these bikes.

EDIT: How could I forget!?!? A picture of the worlds ugliest, yet relentlessly reliable 750T!!
    Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2014, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Pop Goes The Rat Bike!

On my way home from a friends, started getting a hammering sound from the ex cam area. Within a few kilometers the cam end covers were coming off and oil was seeping out the valve cover.

As I approached the gas station the motor died and made a horrible clackity metal on metal sound.

Soon as I stopped rolling her remaining oil oozed out.

I hitch hiked the remaining 20 or so kms home and I'll be heading back in a few to pick it up.

Good thing The Pretty One is running and insured, and the TD has a running donor motor to swap in!

Comment

Clearly the rat is jealous......
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Getting The Riding In Before I depart New Mexico

Crap, what's up with the Rat Tank?

Side Valve Cover off...what are you doing to her?

I put about 500 miles in two days and this knowing I need to replace the valve cover gasket...she has a slow leak.

Anyway, I've neglected her but not to the point where she bleeds oil.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Sounds like the famous second gen 750 top end failure to me. They are noted for poor oiling up top. Have seen a few do this.
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Ed, the covers came off and the valve cover leaked because of the hammering cam, not because of neglect!

Hjfisk, I haven't opened it up yet but I'm pretty sure it chewed up the exhaust cam, so this week I'm going to see about shimming the other 2 2nd gen blocks I have!

Comment

I had valve issues with mine. Primary motivation for the 1100. I'm thinking the Rat was ready die. I get the feeling that she will live again! 1100?
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

How many miles did you get out of her Tank???

Comment

Oh yeah spyder, I've taken that bike well past redline thousands of times, ran entire tanks of gas through it at 170+ km/h without letting up, over a thousand kilometers of gravel roads, hell it even climbed a mountain once!

Going to put the motor from the 83 into it, the 83 will be the GS1100T or GSXR750T.

Not sure on the mileage, as half the time I've had it it's had no speedo cable.

I'd say 15-20 thousand kilometers.

For the $250 I bought it for, this bike doesn't owe me a damn thing!

Comment

Tank,

I has been awhile since I have been on this site and was I THRILLED to see your acquisitions. Those bikes could not be in better hands. I can only imagine your head is spinning with the current fun and anticipations.

Yasser
                      Hondas
                      '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                      Suzuki
                      '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                      Kaw
                      '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Yes Yasser, lots of ideas, just not enough time or money!!

Today I woke up early and got bored so I started tearing into the rat bike.

There's always been a little oily spot from weeping valve cover gasket but when she started hammering away it really started coming out, it's rock hard too like it's been baked on.

I found I had to remove the breather cover and the oil filter cover to wiggle it out, but I'm real happy I didn't snap off any exhaust bolts!

It really wasn't as hard as some members have made it seem, but it wasn't as easy as other members made it seem either!

I figure as long as I'm in this deep, I'm going to swap the dyna coils and wires from the skunk over to this bike, and give the TZ carbs a freshen up.

Comment

Threw the rat bike carbs into the TD as I don't have the tools with me to open up the carbs properly, and I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with the TD motor.

I also changed out the oil and filter in the TD as the cases were full of gassy oil.

Turns out this one is the smoothest running and riding bike I own!

It has a very different torque curve than my other 2 T's, comes on VERY hard at 6,000 and peters out HARD at 9,000, but in that 3,000 rpm range it pulls WAY harder than the other two.

So now I'm torn as to what to do, keep riding this or drop this motor in my rat bike?

Think for the next few weeks I'm going to ride this one and give it some time before I make a decision.
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2014, 05:56 PM.

Comment

My opinion... Keep that one the way she is, original. Build the **** out of the rat bike. Make her a monster, have some fun.
                            '83 GS 1100T
                            The Jet

sigpic
                            '95 GSXR 750w
                            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                            X