Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX1100EZ Engine Rebuild?

Hi all,

A little stuck with what to do here. I just wanted to put it out there for some advice. I'm currently in the middle of restoring a GSX1100EZ.

Bike is a ground up rebuild. The engine I have decided to remove, soda blast and paint with VHT High Temp Engine Metallic.

What I want to know is, should I replace all seals / gaskets first? I don't know when this was last done, if ever. The engine is solid, bullet proof. Compression is spot on. I don't want to start pulling the top end apart to open a can of worms unnecessarily. Am I better off breaking the engine down, or should I leave it alone and just prep and paint? Carbs however will be stripped and rebuilt.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by therefinery View Post
    Hi all,

A little stuck with what to do here. I just wanted to put it out there for some advice. I'm currently in the middle of restoring a GSX1100EZ.

Bike is a ground up rebuild. The engine I have decided to remove, soda blast and paint with VHT High Temp Engine Metallic.

What I want to know is, should I replace all seals / gaskets first? I don't know when this was last done, if ever. The engine is solid, bullet proof. Compression is spot on. I don't want to start pulling the top end apart to open a can of worms unnecessarily. Am I better off breaking the engine down, or should I leave it alone and just prep and paint? Carbs however will be stripped and rebuilt.

Thanks in advance.
    Rebuild the engine first so you don't damage the paint taking it apart after painting.
    Ray.

Comment

I think you are asking the same question I have had for the past year.

I have a GS1100G which I have had from new and has only covered 19K klms. I know the motor is tip top and there is no need to rebuild but it looks like this:

There is no point in disturbing the engine if it doesn't need disturbing. More likely that something will go wrong as you rebuild it (or after you rebuild it) and then you have messed up a good engine.

I wanted to get my engine vapour blasted (which is a sensational finish as it is or if you want to paint it) but no one will take on a completel engine. It is too big and heavy for one thing and they say the fine media will ingress into the engine and damage it.

Soda blasting is an option but I'm not sure it will remove old paint and oxidized aluminium.

Hand preparation seems to be the only way to go on this one.

Roll up your sleeves!!

Greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
      X