No announcement yet.

GS675RM (Retro-Mod)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that steering stop is very clever, the bike is looking great so far. It must be nice to have access to a mill, I would love to be able to fabricate stuff like that!

Comment

Originally posted by Player B View Post
      I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. And I actually agree with you. I have no dreams of out racing a new sport bike on this. If speed was all I wanted I would just get a new bike. Most new ones seem easier to handle at 70 than they do at 30. I don't need the temptation to do something stupid.

When I'm done she should be significantly lighter than a stock 550, have better suspension, better brakes, modern rubber, and 40% more horsepower than stock. This is what I meant by surprising people.
      I did misunderstand and you seem to have realistic expectations for the bike. It's certainly going to be much cooler than any stock sport bike you see on the road.

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
      You will never please them all. You are doing very impressive work. Some of us really dig the "sleepers". The whole point to life is if you like it, get it. If it's not available, build it. Keep up the good work. Watching intently.
      I wasn't dumping on the work or the project, just suggesting OP have realistic expectations on the outcome. He is doing a great job and will end up with a very nicely hotrodded classic.

Steering Stop bolted on to the upper triple tree

Very nice, clean and neat.

Rearsets and spacers

Also looking very tidy.

Then again, I make the r80 look a little small too...
      A little bit, maybe.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Man that's amazing! Thank you very much. The drop down list is working for me now. I didn't realize you could use different balls and races. This makes me excited. I want to go the same direction as you but with my gs850. Rearsets and all.

Comment

I only see one bolt holding the rearset spacer. What's stopping it from turning? Absolutely love the steering stop.are the riser bolts holding it in place. Wish I had access to a cnc mill and the knowledge to use it, or maybe just a buddy like you. Wanna be friends?

Comment

Originally posted by amxsteve View Post
            I only see one bolt holding the rearset spacer. What's stopping it from turning? Absolutely love the steering stop.are the riser bolts holding it in place. Wish I had access to a cnc mill and the knowledge to use it, or maybe just a buddy like you. Wanna be friends?
            The spacer is threaded and is bolted from the backside to the bracket I welded onto the frame. On my phone now so I can't post more pics, but there's one of the bracket a page back or so. So it has the axle and two bolts holding it in place.

Yes I did use the riser bolts to mount the steering stop. It needed spacers anyways as the thread doesn't go all the way down to the triple tree. Two birds with one stone on that one.

I guess that you could call me lucky as I use solidworks on a daily basis at my job and have access to manual mills and lathes. The office is only a year old so we don't have a full time machinest in house yet and there is a perfectly good haas cnc sitting there unused!!!!

those parts ended up being a little too organic for my skills with the mill. I ended up going to a quick turn machine shop we use when the dimensions don't have to be very precise. I made sure to make the parts so they would only be 1 set up in the cnc and they came out to a reasonable price. Can't wait till we get somebody in house and I can pay for labor with a case of beer
            Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Bike is looking real good.
              Love the solid work drawings and final product, I wish I was able to do similar things.

And to add I did not mean to offend anyone with the 550 why question....
              Keep the pictures coming its nice to see creative work in progress.
              Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500,
              The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Comment

First coat of paint down on the frame.

Using this stuff

Used it on the BMW and I'm a big fan. Any touch up needed blends seamlessly with the original coats. I'll flip it over in a week after its fully cured and lay another coat down and make sure I have 100% coverage. I have put multiple coats down quicker than suggested by the can before, but it is easy to screw it up. If you lay down too much too fast, the solvent (or whatever else is mixed in with the paint) will attack the original layer if it isn't fully cured and it will start to bubble. In the meantime I will start laying down some paint on the other parts that need it.

Comment

First coat of paint down on the frame.

Using this stuff

Used it on the BMW and I'm a big fan. Any touch up needed blends seamlessly with the original coats. I'll flip it over in a week after its fully cured and lay another coat down and make sure I have 100% coverage. I have put multiple coats down quicker than suggested by the can before, but it is easy to screw it up. If you lay down too much too fast, the solvent (or whatever else is mixed in with the paint) will attack the original layer if it isn't fully cured and it will start to bubble. In the meantime I will start laying down some paint on the other parts that need it.
                  That's one of the few paints we can still get up here. I may give it a shot on my cowasaki frame even though I could get it powder coated for about 150. This one's a budget build. Looking forward to your completed project.

Comment

Working...
                  X