anyone tried retro fitting different rearsets gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone tried retro fitting different rearsets gs1100e

I am trying to retro fit some modern rearsets to my GS1100E. I understand some fabrication will be required,but was wondering if any has tried and what they came off of. Thanks.
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

I've put some Raask units on my GS1100G.

See my blog post here.

They are not the best quality and are tricky to fit (note the order they are put together when you get them) but they are a fix.

Raask are in Sweden but ship worldwide. Just Google them.

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Started some work on the rearsets.

I'll be using 90 gsxr 1100 rearsets I've had on the shelf for a while.

On the 83 frame there are two mounts welded on the back of a down tube.

The top mount holds the passenger peg bracket and the lower mount is for the driver peg. With the bracket and foot peg removed it looks like this:

Started with some cardboard and used the frame mounts as a reference. The rearset will be located on the upper mount, and using a level I was able to locate where the second mount would need to be. The black circle on the lower right hand :

Next was to transfer the bolt locations and the general shape over to the 1/4" aluminum plate I got in the scrap bin for $2 a piece I clamped two of the plates together and set about drilling the mount holes so I have two brackets. One for each side:

Initial mock up with whatever bolts/fasteners I could find:

Just need to cut them to shape and get some different fasteners.

Still need to get a rod to connect the linkage. The rearset I have did not come with the rod or shifer linkage.

One thing I found is that the GS shift side linkage has a right handed M6 thread, where as the gsxr side of the linkage has a M6 left handed thread

So finding a 9-10" rod like that might be fun unless they are all designed that way.
      83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Continued on with the rearsets this evening.

Cut the brackets to the shape I wanted with a jig saw and then filed and sanded the rough edges down.

Picked up some M6 threaded rod and a coupler nut to extend the shift linkage. The rod is right handed thread. I used about a 7-8 inch length rod to join the stock GS link bar to the shift paw. The left handed end threaded into the gsxr linkage on the rearset.

I'll probably strip the paint and lightly polish it to match the brake side rearset. also need to either get a matching peg for the brake side or find a stock one that will fit.

Next was to get the gs brake set up out of the way.

All clear and ready to start installation:

Next was to trial fit the 90 gsxr 1100 rearset. I used M10 1.25 pitch hex to match the existing mounts:

Fit tight and clean. The brake pedal makes contact with the midpipe, but I hadn't bled the brake system yet. It should have enough clearance one there is pressure in the system.

Reservoir hose is way too long!

I swapped the reservoir and hose out with one from a 97 SRAD I had on the shelf:

Flipped the reservoir around and it kinda sits on the stock mount location. Zip tied it in place for now.

Routed the hose around the frame and then on the underside of the swing arm. Got out the mightyvac to bleed the caliper.

Brake lever doesn't make contact with the midpipe now. Have about 1/4" when compressed. However, either I still have some air in the system or I've got a problem with the master or the caliper. I tested about an hour after I had got it pressurized and it took a couple more pumps the get the pedal firm again.

Lastly I had to make a new hanger for the yosh pipe, since it used to mount on the passenger bracket. I had some scrap steel flat so I drilled some holes and located it off the lower master cylinder mount hole:

I'll probably disassemble the rear caliper tomorrow, and strip and lightly polish the shift side bracket to match the brake side.

From my budget gsxr conversion thread.

Nic
        83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

i can't see if the bleeders on the top...if not you will never get all the air out.
          some after market applications i have to rotate the caliper from the bottom to the top and bleed it then roll it back to the bottom.

Comment

Looking good Nic!!
            Ray.

Comment

Nice job! I will keep looking for some.I am trying to use(i can hear the crap I am gonna get already)ZRX1200 sets.While trying to keep close to the same peg location,I am haveing trouble with clearance issues on the back side of the sets.Looked at some off of a 'busa.I am trying not go to far back as my seat is lowered,I have long legs and a slightly bum knee(from going cross country on my Kat) . I may have to reconsider the peg location,the bike is going to be a hot-rod anyway
              Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
              Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
              Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
              X