No announcement yet.

'84 1150 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing that might be upsetting your readings is the spring in the float bowl needle valve.

The manual calls for float tabs to be "just in contact" with the needle valve when you take the measurement. Over time, the little springs in these needle valves compress and at some point become useless. I have replaced needle valves that have had weak springs.

I tend to replace needle valve assemblies and O rings in most carb jobs as they are often the first part to fail. You do not want overflowing carbs.

At the end of the day, I am not sure that the difference in measurements that you are talking about would have a material difference in the operation of your carbs under normal circumstances. Just imagine what the fuel looks like when you are going over bumps, swishing from side to side and the vibration from the engine is zinging.

images.jpg
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I paid attention when setting the float height that the spring didn't compress from the float resting on it, which doesn't mean it hadn't compressed previously. That would explain the altered float height on servicing the carbs a previous mechanic adjusted for the compressed spring.

So, as long as the final fuel height is at the recommended factory setting of 3mm below the float bowl gasket it should be fine should it not?
      Last edited by wyly; 04-16-2016, 01:41 PM.
      1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Went shopping for a battery today and I was looking for sealed maintenance free type. Parts guy at the local Suzuki was stumped by my request his parts book only had the traditional type listed for 84's. Does anyone here know of a sealed unit that will fit the 1150?

Comment

I would think so. Go for it.
          Richard
          sigpic
          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

wyly, i use a Big Crank in the GS1000 and CBX with excellent results.
            BatteryMart.com is an online battery store for discount batteries including motorcycle batteries, alkaline batteries, lead acid batteries at affordable rates.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Tires-do you have a preference between these two, Metzler Lasertec or BattleAx...I have Lazertecs on my CBX but I've no experience with the Battleax...

Comment

pistons in cylinder with no ring compressor, yeah that was a struggle 5hrs......

Comment

I see scratches on inside of #1, hmmm...I pull up the cylinder enough to check the rings and they're all good nothing that would cause a scratch. Cylinders have already been honed so I assume the scratches are the remains of the seized rings and debris from the broken plugs being dragged up and down. Very very light scratches the ring gaps will be much much bigger so I carry on. Cylinder head on, cam guides in, tomorrow I set the cam timing.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                    pistons in cylinder with no ring compressor, yeah that was a struggle 5hrs......
                    5 hours would have had me in the loony bin.
                    I admire your patience.
                    Hey, it could have been the Honda. haha.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                      5 hours would have had me in the loony bin.
                      I admire your patience.
                      Hey, it could have been the Honda. haha.
                      well getting frustrated and annoyed I did give up at about 4hrs...I had supper, watched some tv then recruited a 2nd set of hands (the mrs) and went back at it in a calmer state of mind, done!

if I had to do this to my cbx I'd order ring compressors ahead of time...

Comment

so installed my cams, the intake lays in it's bed nicely...the exhaust cam sits up on the left.

the service manual says to tighten the caps down diagonally, but from where? where is the start point, is there a pattern/sequence.

is it okay to tighten down the one exhaust cam where is high and do no damage, I suppose the two valves underneath will open

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                          Tires-do you have a preference between these two, Metzler Lasertec or BattleAx...I have Lazertecs on my CBX but I've no experience with the Battleax...
                          I had a Battleax front, didn't like it, but many owners are happy with it. Don't like the feel of the Metzler, though that was on a 19'' front. I have a Pirelli Sport Demon on the front, but can't say I like it just yet. Seems better than the Battleax. My favorite was the Michelin Macadam 110/90/16, but they don't make it anymore. The PO crashed it showing off, so maybe the front end is slightly askew or my block off plates aren't allowing enough fork oil past. The old Kat handles way better, even better than the old RF 900 I owned briefly.
                          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

it seems from what I've read and people I've spoken to the when comparing Battleaxe with Lasertec it's a coin toss, both well liked. Since I have Metzlers on my CBX I'll try the Battleaxe on the 1150, and save a bit of cash vs the Metzlers too.

1150 rebuild brought to a halt by a wrench or lack of a wrench for at least a week. None of the four torque wrenches I own could measure the 8lbs required for the cam cap bolts. Even one that I bought specifically for that and measured in inch lbs was unable to do the job, I tightened to a point where I know I was easily past 8 lbs and still no click! So I ordered an electric version on line that measures from zero to 22lbs and uses led lights instead of clicks.

Comment

At the level of 8lbs you are better off going by feel. Those cam cap threads are easily pulled out. Finger tight and half a turn with an allen key pretty much does the job - maybe a little more if it isn't seated correctly. Then maybe another quarter turn after a run.

I would never trust a torque wrench at such a low level. Trust your fingers
                              Richard
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                                At the level of 8lbs you are better off going by feel. Those cam cap threads are easily pulled out. Finger tight and half a turn with an allen key pretty much does the job - maybe a little more if it isn't seated correctly. Then maybe another quarter turn after a run.

I would never trust a torque wrench at such a low level. Trust your fingers
                                thanks for the advice that will have to be my fallback procedure if I'm not happy with the torque wrench I ordered on line.
                                The problem I've found with click wrenches is that lowest range the click because inaudible, the wrench I'm waiting for uses led lights to guide the user and it's a 1/4 inch designed for low torque levels.

Comment

Working...
                                X