No announcement yet.

'84 1150 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well the GS is 6 years younger so it is technically and performance wise a better bike(it's also a hell of a lot easier to wrench on)....for uniqueness and value the CBX is the winner, my Z has been appraised at $16K and appreciating every year, my GS will be valued at $3K when completed... two very different bikes, I love them both, both superbikes from different times.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Absolutely. The CBx is on my ultimate bike list. Someday I may even be able to afford an '81 or '82. The earlier models are becoming unobtanium.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

still obtainable you just need to keep an eye on ebay, some days there is only junkers and other times there are gems!

five! 79's on ebay today one silver and four red, a red sold today for $11,999. It wasn't original but a very nice condition low mileage bike.

a good restoration candidate can still be found for 3-4K...a running cbx can be acquired for 6K...9-12K should be a very, very nice ride...16k + is not not uncommon for an excellent ride.

all of today's ebay 79's look to be of the 9-12K variety, and that's not unreasonable as you can easily sink 6K into a 3k starter project.

if you're committed to buy a Z go for the most collectable the '79, color is subjective but silver is more rare than the red, unless you manage to find a European black(I've never seen one)....if you do acquire one be prepared for many conversations with strangers where ever you go.
        Last edited by wyly; 07-26-2016, 11:55 PM.

Comment

I can't ever see spending $16K on a bike, though long range, I suppose I have spent close on a couple once the modifying wrapped up. That said, I quite like the faired CBx, especially in the metallic grey it came in for 1981. I'd love to build a more potent version of that bike. I remember lining up on my VF1000R next to a guy on a later CBx. He wanted to race. I let him win, because the header/exhaust on that machine sounded so incredible pulling away (especially compared the flat sound of the VF1000R, which did not have the growl of the '86-'87 750).
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            I can't ever see spending $16K on a bike, though long range, I suppose I have spent close on a couple once the modifying wrapped up. That said, I quite like the faired CBx, especially in the metallic grey it came in for 1981. I'd love to build a more potent version of that bike. I remember lining up on my VF1000R next to a guy on a later CBx. He wanted to race. I let him win, because the header/exhaust on that machine sounded so incredible pulling away (especially compared the flat sound of the VF1000R, which did not have the growl of the '86-'87 750).
            Yup, we spend waaaay more on our bikes then we realize because we generally do it small bits and not one large sum.

the later grey is the more popular of the two years, you can find a running example for 3kish, a nice one for 6k. All CBX motors are interchangeable so a rolling frame is a good start any motor that turns over will do if you're going to modify. I know another local owner who has his modified to over 200hp, more than enough to keep up with the new rockets.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
              I'm back to finish the rebuild, I got lazy when the weather got warm my CBX kept calling to me to take her out for exercise.

Had problems trying to restart the GS I wasn't sure what was wrong, got it started once I sucked on the vacuum line and got the fuel flowing.

once fired up I rechecked the sync and #1 and #2 are a touch higher at 20.5 vs 18.5 for #3 and #4...
              How accurate are these vacuum gauges, how close a reading is acceptable, do they need to be exact ? I imagine exact would be the ultimate goal but is it possible with these gauges?

when adjusting the mixture (which is set at 2.5 turns now) do I do this with the vacuum gauges still attached?

Once I get past this stage I only need to check the brakes and change the front tire and I can finally reassemble the body parts. I need to get this done I'm putting far to many miles on my CBX, the GS has to be my daily driver.
              The readings will rarely stay the same if you crack the throttle and let it return. Set the idle about 2500. get it as close as you can before you start chasing your tail. Don't forget a big fan blowing at the motor...
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                The readings will rarely stay the same if you crack the throttle and let it return. Set the idle about 2500. get it as close as you can before you start chasing your tail. Don't forget a big fan blowing at the motor...
                thanks

yeah I need to find a fan or two...I think where I had it before I started messing around with it may have been close as possible, now I can't even start it.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                  Yup, we spend waaaay more on our bikes then we realize because we generally do it small bits and not one large sum.

the later grey is the more popular of the two years, you can find a running example for 3kish, a nice one for 6k. All CBX motors are interchangeable so a rolling frame is a good start any motor that turns over will do if you're going to modify. I know another local owner who has his modified to over 200hp, more than enough to keep up with the new rockets.
                  Yes, those big blocks and turbos are pretty amazing!
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

pulled out carbs and did another bench sync, reinstalled the carbs and the engine fired right up. Looks good, tomorrow I roll it out of the garage and retry the real sync.

Comment

Have you done a compression check?
                      My CBX was not running well years ago, pulled carbs 3-4 times, checked timing multiple times, and could find nothing wrong....
                      Finally did a compression check, and found #3 to be at 10 psi....

Sorry....I didn't read all the way back, I see you have new rings...
                      I didn't sync my carbs by vacuum after I put my J+E big bore in the CBX, until I had about 300-500 miles on it...rings need to seat a bit first for a good reading that will last.
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2016, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I think he's talking about the 1150 here ...
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by busa1300 View Post
                          Have you done a compression check?
                          My CBX was not running well years ago, pulled carbs 3-4 times, checked timing multiple times, and could find nothing wrong....
                          Finally did a compression check, and found #3 to be at 10 psi....

Sorry....I didn't read all the way back, I see you have new rings...
                          I didn't sync my carbs by vacuum after I put my J+E big bore in the CBX, until I had about 300-500 miles on it...rings need to seat a bit first for a good reading that will last.
                          we got off on a tangent with the CBX the GS is my problem child. The cbx runs flawlessly, it's an absolute joy to crack open the throttle on the freeway and hear the howl from the six pipes...

but that's a good tip on the ring seating and sync I can apply that to GS.

Comment

I think I have the sync worked out I'll probably do it one more time to confirm my results. I have gauges that measure in BAR and they all measured around 2.1 when at 2K rpm. Before I shut it down I lowered the idle to 1K rpm. I let the engine cool down for an hour then fired it up again, #2, #3 and #4 were at 2.0 but number #4 had jumped up to 4.0 and wouldn't come down??? I brought number #4 back down to match and shut down.

I'll let the engine go cold before I try again, if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions let me know.

Comment

sync is done

I attempted to adjust the pilot screws from the 2.5 turns out and they were unresponsive...took them down to about .5 turns before the rpm was affected, and past 4 turns at the other end. Not what I expected to happen so I left them at 2.5, I'll try gauge the setting by the plugs.

I'm not the first person in these carbs is there anything that may have been done in the past that could account for the unresponsive pilot adjustment?

Other than that the engine idles nicely at 950-1000, revs smoothly and quickly when I grab a handful of throttle and falls back to idle with no fuss.
                              Last edited by wyly; 10-05-2020, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I almost forgot about front tire so I changed that today, ordered a rebuild kit for the calipers they'll be here tomorrow.

reassembly of the body parts on the weekend................and then I'm DONE!!!! there were times thought I'd never get to this point.

tomorrow I start the legal stuff...get clear title/insurance/temporary ride permit/ safety inspection/plate.....RIDE!!!!!!

oh, and then post picture of resurrected beasty on the forum

Comment

Working...
                                X