No announcement yet.

'84 1150 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My fuel gauge is the same way: E = on reserve, 35 miles to find gas.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
      I thought we discussed the fuel gauge earlier.... On mine it hits E then reserve starts. There is still at least a gallon in the tank at that point.

Your clutch issue sounds like what I had when I got mine. It had sat for 12 years and the plates were stuck together. My solution was maybe not the smartest, but it worked. I started it on the street, clutch in, and naturally it began rolling. With the clutch pulled, I whacked the throttle a few times and the plates came free. I did have to eventually replace them though because they slipped under heavy load.
      I thought I might have asked about the gas issue somewhere on the forum but I wasn't sure my memory is crap now-a-days...

I tried grabbing a fistful of throttle and nothing, repeated pulled the clutch in and letting go and nothing.
      I looked in the window on the side had the wife pull in the clutch and didn't see any movement.
      I'm going to open it and inspect the plates and clean and oil the plates if possible.
      1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

I opened the clutch and even after 25-30 years all looked good, all the plates appeared to be oiled .
        When I pulled the metal and fiber plates and then I made a half-assed effort to keep them in order. I think there "may" have been two metal plates back to back but I wasn't methodical enough so I'm just not sure.
        One metal plate showed any signs of slipping with a very minor discoloration.

I don't have a new gasket but I'll bolt it all together anyways and see if there is any movement when I pull in the clutch.

Comment

tightening the clutch spring bolts and snapped one off, I got lucky and a tiny portion was exposed enough and I got small vice grips on it and turned it out.

manual instructs to torque to 9 lbs, I set wrench to 9lbs...or have read the manual wrong? I watched a youtube video and the guy just used a ratchet. Clearly my torque wrench is screwed up.

also I've read two sources for torque, 7ft and 9ft lbs

advice please
          Last edited by wyly; 08-07-2016, 11:54 PM.

Comment

clutch reassembled, start it up...same problem clutch doesn't disengage the transmission, a huge clunk shifting into first transmission, pulling in the clutch handle has no effect wheel keeps turning, switch to 2nd same result.

it could be there is a deeper internal problem other than sticky plates or the problem lies in the cable and clutch arm adjustment. I'll move the shift arm and try again, if there any suggestions I'd like to see them...

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
              clutch reassembled, start it up...same problem clutch doesn't disengage the transmission, a huge clunk shifting into first transmission, pulling in the clutch handle has no effect wheel keeps turning, switch to 2nd same result.

it could be there is a deeper internal problem other than sticky plates or the problem lies in the cable and clutch arm adjustment. I'll move the shift arm and try again, if there any suggestions I'd like to see them...
              Does it feel like a normal clutch pull? There is resistance, and the right amount of a couple mm of free play?
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Grasping at straws now....did you have any movement in the basket when you re-assembled it?
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

a little more experimentation I find if I apply the rear brake the wheel final stops spinning and begins again only when I release the clutch. Definitely headed in the right direction but it doesn't answer the question of why it does this.

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                    Does it feel like a normal clutch pull? There is resistance, and the right amount of a couple mm of free play?
                    it does but I haven't ridden it or another like it in 25+ years, it feels like my cbx clutch.

checked free play both ends.

I've shortened the free play now to next to nothing and will give that a try but I've I may have loaded up on fuel and it doesn't to fire right now. I'll wait a half hour and try again.
                    Last edited by wyly; 08-08-2016, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                      Grasping at straws now....did you have any movement in the basket when you re-assembled it?
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwUpwq_-dlA
                      nope, rock solid. the brake stopping the rear wheel maybe a helpful clue.

Comment

sounds normal,
                        take it for a ride and get it warmed up, should be fine
                        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

My '93 GSX1100G clutch was causing gears to slip so bad one time, I thought I had major problem .
                          Whole way home from work , got next to my place and had to push it into parking even that day.

I cleaned the master cylinder reservoir,(return port) and then sprayed bunch of "Goof off" and "PB Blaster" into the opening under the clutch slave (onto the actuator rod(?),that general area) a bunch and it's been good since, PHEW!
                          I was reading up on clutch replacement and thinking "F$%^ next summer season, maybe".
                          I was sure at best just needed clutch replacement. My clutch master cylinder is still too small for bike not stock (again, yet). 99% certain that's reason for not ideal shifting occasionally.

Looks like you have cable clutch (?) But it still could have sticky grease on the actuator parts close to engine or some adjustment to the cable hopefully. I was checking (zoomable) diagram HERE ,BTW easy to find there.
                          Good Luck

Comment

Are you sure that you re-installed the clutch actuator arm on the rack correctly? There is a trick to doing it.

Open the oil cap and check to see if the clutch is being uncompressed when you pull in the clutch lever.
                            Richard
                            sigpic
                            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                              Are you sure that you re-installed the clutch actuator arm on the rack correctly? There is a trick to doing it.

Open the oil cap and check to see if the clutch is being uncompressed when you pull in the clutch lever.
                              yeah I did a practice assembly and final assembly looked through the filler hole and it's disengaging. I've readjusted my cable and see if that has an effect next. I'm encouraged that the wheel stops spinning when I step on the brake.

Maybe a change of oil viscosity might have an effect, switch to synthetic?
                              Last edited by wyly; 08-09-2016, 11:29 AM.

Comment

adjusted clutch cable, no change.

a massive clunk when I kick into first. clutch has no moderation on engagement with transmission. I can stop it with brake pedal, engine slows slightly/near stall.

My cbx does something like this as well but I shift up and down while on the center stand until it loosens up, if I attempt to ride away before it's loose it'll lurch forward and stall. The Gs shows no improvement with shifting up and down.

Time to call Rapid Ray!

Comment

Working...
                                X