No announcement yet.

'84 1150 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Ontario, getting all that "legal stuff" sorted can be as frustrating as the build.
    Glad to see you are in the home stretch.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
      tomorrow I start the legal stuff...get clear title/insurance/temporary ride permit/ safety inspection/plate.....RIDE!!!!!!
      All you should need is a bill of sale, insurance slip and then you get your plate, unless there is an out of province inspection also needed. There is no safety inspection required in Alberta nor a temporary permit that I know of.

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      In Ontario, getting all that "legal stuff" sorted can be as frustrating as the build. Glad to see you are in the home stretch.
      Not in Alberta, we have a tiny fraction of the bureaucracy to deal with that you guys have in the nanny state east.

Mark
      Last edited by mmattockx; 08-05-2016, 10:44 AM.
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I should be in Calgary on Aug. 20th. Love you see how your build ended up because I've got an extra engine I might build for my restomod. Cheers.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
          All you should need is a bill of sale, insurance slip and then you get your plate, unless there is an out of province inspection also needed. There is no safety inspection required in Alberta nor a temporary permit that I know of.
          yeah almost there, insurance taken care off, I have my pink slip and transport permit for the out of province inspection...I can go in any time next week to get the inspection, then pick up my Alberta plate
          1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by Mark1 View Post
            I should be in Calgary on Aug. 20th. Love you see how your build ended up because I've got an extra engine I might build for my restomod. Cheers.
            sure thing...this is just stage one of the process, getting a reliable daily driver that will pass the out of province inspection.
            Now I'm looking at how I can modify it in the future, the tail section looks awkward/cluttered, maybe a full solo seat.
            And I have a 1/4 fairing that will fit that big light if I want to remove the full fairing.

Comment

They do have a clunky backend.. I removed the rear plastics under the taillight, tucked the license plate up, and changed the giant turn signals. I still have the full seats and goofy grab bar though.

Glad to hear its coming together.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I kind of like the Robotron back end ...
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Personally I've never considered the 1150 es a beautiful bike with nice flowing lines....but.....
                  Cool as hell? Hell yes!
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Oh, it is a very unbeautiful bike, but its heavy mechanical look was always what I liked about it.

Well, that and 10 second quarter miles.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                      They do have a clunky backend.. I removed the rear plastics under the taillight, tucked the license plate up, and changed the giant turn signals. I still have the full seats and goofy grab bar though.

Glad to hear its coming together.
                      The skinny 130-140 back tire looks all wrong with the bulky boxy back end. Seems it was designed to receive a fatter back tire in the future, before Suzuki knew fatter tires might be better contact patch wise for such a big bike.
                      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

That's absolutely true. I have a 150 on the 3.5" rim, and that went some ways to making it look better. I can't wait to have the 170 on the 4.5" wheel under it.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                          The skinny 130-140 back tire looks all wrong with the bulky boxy back end. Seems it was designed to receive a fatter back tire in the future, before Suzuki knew fatter tires might be better contact patch wise for such a big bike.
                          the 1150EF had optional bigger wheels front and back, the back wheel would take a 150.
                          I attempted to get the larger wheels here on the forum but I could only get it in black not the gold wheels that my bike came with, nor was the larger front wheel available. If I come across a set locally I can save on the shipping costs, until then the smaller wheels will work.

Comment

DSC_0027_1.jpgclick to enlarge
                            done sort of.

two issues, 1st....for my road worthy inspection "everything" that the bike came with when it was new must be operational. Fuel gauge shows empty even when there is fuel in the tank. Does it do that when it reaches reserve or does measure fuel until true empty?

2nd issue, I was worried about this one when doing the top end rebuild but I didn't have the engine running to test the clutch operation. The clutch doesn't disengage/engage, I'm guessing plates are stuck together. I can shift it in gear but the clutch is playing no part in it, it's just a hard clutch-less clunk.
                            Adjusted the clutch top and bottom.
                            I tried letting it run in gear 1st and 2nd for a few minutes no change.
                            Other than opening it up are there any suggestions that may remedy the problem.
                            I'm not optimistic the bike hasn't run since probably 1990ish.
                            Last edited by wyly; 08-07-2016, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Could the basket be toast?
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

I thought we discussed the fuel gauge earlier.... On mine it hits E then reserve starts. There is still at least a gallon in the tank at that point.

Your clutch issue sounds like what I had when I got mine. It had sat for 12 years and the plates were stuck together. My solution was maybe not the smartest, but it worked. I started it on the street, clutch in, and naturally it began rolling. With the clutch pulled, I whacked the throttle a few times and the plates came free. I did have to eventually replace them though because they slipped under heavy load.
                                sigpic

Glen
                                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Working...
                                X