Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OH YEAH! Rock'n Rolling!

I had a chat with Rapid Ray and Derwood was right

I only have to fit a couple a misaligned body parts, adjust the shifter from my brothers size 12s to my 10s and I'm ready for my safety inspection...happy days!

Certainly a different feel to my CBX... it handles better no surprise there, feels 100lbs lighter and smaller(it's not)... it's waaaay quieter than the cbx 6 into 6 pipes, the neighbors dogs didn't object.

a very good day!
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

And it is much quicker!
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        And it is much quicker!
        hmmm, I don't know yet I won't get a seat the pants feel for it until I've passed the break in period....My brother says he ran a 10.9 quarter back in the day on the GS... the CBX was at best a mid 11 bike and I've increased the hp by perhaps 10 over stock spec and added better coils and slightly different cam. I doubt a 10hp gain, better coils and modified cam would come close to closing the gap.

I know I will appreciate how different they feel, it's apples and oranges both are a lot of fun. It'll be interesting to see if the GS draws a crowd like the CBX does at the bike shops.DSC_0027_1.jpg
        Last edited by wyly; 08-09-2016, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I think the best 1/4 I've seen for a stock CBx is an 11.6 at 118. Best I've seen for a stock 1150 is a 10.47 at 127.

I doubt the GS can draw a crowd like that big six, though.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

title, insured, safety test passed today then the first ride in decades for my GS.... I'm picking up my new license plate I get off the G and the kickstand folds up! noooooo.
            The CBX has a bigger lean with it's side stand once it's down there's no chance of it folding up, it's what I'm used to. I thought the stand was secure and stable...nope, deep scrape on the lower fairing and smaller one on the center panel, so sad...

Comment

That sucks, sorry to hear. I've always been a lityle leery of the lack of lean also.

A couple of years ago, I parked mine, then caught a glimpse of forward movement out of the corner of my eye - it was starting to foll forward. Luckily, I somehow grabbed the grab bar by the seat and avoided disaster.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Minor detail, Robert.
                You won't see it when you are riding down the road.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I had that happen a couple of years back.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

yeah it wasn't the first time, I caught it once before while working on it so I was aware of it being tipsy. When I parked it I thought it was secure so I don't know where I messed up. It was supposed to be my inexpensive daily ride instead of the CBX so I shouldn't cry over a gouge but I spent many hours doing the repairs and then painting the bodywork so it hurt to wound it on day one.

Use center stand, I don't trust the side stand any more!

Now I'm looking at that butt ugly tail section and trying to figure out how to go about modifying it. Existing seating is perfectly set up for a conversion to solo ride.

How can I improve the front fairing? Quick release locks of some sort to ease access to the engine?

Sliders to protect the bodywork?

How much would a turbo cost?...silly/stupid idea...

Initial first day's riding impression, it may not compare to modern bikes but the suspension is light years better than the CBX. Railroad tracks where I would normally shift my weight from the seat to the CBX's pegs the GS soaked them up without a fuss, nice.
                    CBX is definitely waaaaay smoother and a lot less vibration.
                    GS is so, so much quieter, a nice relief from the 6 into 6.
                    GS fairing protection is a pleasant change from the constant buffeting I get on the CBX
                    The three hours the GS spent at the shop getting it's road inspection a few people stopped to look at it but nothing like the crowd magnet CBX.
                    I'm anxious to get past the seating period for the new rings so I can open it up and go on a back road cafe/beer run with a ride buddy on his CBX.

Comment

Back end with mild cleanup. Personally I havent gotten a whole lot of love from people regarding the 1150es. More recently, but still, not a whole lot. I suspect the CBX will ALWAYS get more attention.
                      http://
                      Last edited by dorkburger; 08-12-2016, 12:33 PM.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Bugger - that is gorgeous man.
                        Richard
                        sigpic
                        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Thanks. In reality it doesnt look so nice though. That batch of pictures I took are probably the best ones I have of it.
                          sigpic

Glen
                          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                            Back end with mild cleanup. Personally I havent gotten a whole lot of love from people regarding the 1150es. More recently, but still, not a whole lot. I suspect the CBX will ALWAYS get more attention.
                            Wow....you have that thing looking awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              yeees! That's tail is 100% better than stock...I might have a issues with the police on the plate holder being on an angle.

Do you have a thread in the forum where you documented the tail modification? it looks simple enough to do.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                                yeees! That's tail is 100% better than stock...I might have a issues with the police on the plate holder being on an angle.

Do you have a thread in the forum where you documented the tail modification? it looks simple enough to do.
                                I did that long before I joined GSR, so no pics. I just trimmed back the fender a bit at a time, drilled holes for the plate, and attached it with a couple of metal clips.
                                The turn signals are from a cast off Yamaha tailsection I found in a vacant warehouse I was working in. They are hung from the reflector brackets that were attached to the signals, and hung from the holes at the end of the frame on the bike.
                                I've gotten a couple of comments that the teardrop signals don't match the square-Ness of the bike, but I like them- and they were free. A later set of smaller GSXR signals, or even stock shape short stalk ones would look good also IMO.
                                Last edited by dorkburger; 08-12-2016, 07:51 PM.
                                sigpic

Glen
                                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Working...
                                X