No announcement yet.

78 GS1000 left for dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stunning! Absolutly love it. What di you use for brake rotors, calipers and rear brake torque arm? Damn that is a sweet ride.
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Thanks
      Rotors are GS1150, calipers are from a 600 Bandit rear and 600 Katana front....Bandit master rear/B-King radial front
      Made my own torque arm from aluminum tube and heim joints.....modified/homemade caliper mounts.

Trying it's luck with fame and fortune here... well a moment of fame possibly.... http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=127881
      Last edited by Guest; 12-25-2016, 09:32 PM.

Comment

A moment of fame....

The GS won fighter of the month, and I also got some recognition on my bikes in my favorite magazine

Comment

Congrats on the BOTM and the ink, Busa.
          Obviously this is not why we spend stupid amounts of time and money on these bikes, still it has to be nice to get the recognition.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

That's great, congratulations.
            I can't quite make out the picture. Practical Sportsbikes?
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Practical Sportbikes

Thanks guys
              Yes, Practical Sportbikes (January).... a UK based magazine. I used to get them at Barnes and Noble, but have had a subscription for a number of years now.
              They are 100% into bikes from 1970-to 1999...building/restoring/fixing/riding. Better than any magazine I can find here in the States sorry to say.
              I sent in some pics and words, and they found some interest and pieced it together.
              It is cool to see my own bikes in print, but I do build them for myself first and foremost...but approval of others gives me a bit more incentive to build the next one

Comment

Rain for about 3 days, washed away the snow and most of the salt, then the sun came out and dried the roads off.
                Temp was working its way to 60, so I put the GS into operating mode, and took it out on a shake down run.
                Put about 20 miles on it, with the only problem of the original 1978 15 amp main fuse blowing about 2 miles from home.
                With no screwdriver to get to it....
                Plugs have some soot, as I kinda expected still. Will pull off carbs today and drop the mains one step.
                Finally got the front brakes working like I knew they should with the anti dive. And suspension set up felt good and solid.
                if it doesn't rain today, I'll try to get out again with the different jets and see if it burns a bit cleaner.
                If I have the time, I might swap in my black bikes 29 smoothbores just for the hell of it.

Comment

I got very close to just buying a new set of 29's with the K&L debacle but yesterday was a victory

running 100 main jets with the new pipe and seems to be just about right
                  78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
                  82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
                  83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
                  2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
                  Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Oldskool recognition....

Still haven't been back out in the garage for over a week (terrible cold....sick)
                    So no carb adjustments or swapping yet...
                    But the great news is my GS1000 is February bike of the month on the Oldskool site

Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2017, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Thats awesome! Man your bike looks soo good, every time i see it i spend a good 10 minutes staring at it
                      I build Pipers

Comment

IMG_0026.jpgG'day Busa 1300, what a fantastic job the bike looks awesome, congrats on your best bike in the mag, I have just sold Honda CB1100RD and purchased a very ordinary GS1000. Had a GS Thou back in the early mid eighties and have returned as I always have been I died in the arse Suzuki fan. BTW your base bike was a lot tidier than mine. I have also started buying pits and pieces. What swing arm did u use it looks like a GSX1100 or Katana 1100 swing arm, I picked up a Katana 750 alloy swing arm they look identical. My GS plans are upside down forks from 05 GSXR 600, full rebuild on motor, p/coat frame ( blastfamy "not black" ) but anyway have the picture in my mind, see how we go.

Comment

Originally posted by busa1300 View Post

My time here is basically done till spring, then I'll report what has fallen off and why....or ask you guys why things are not working or falling off.
                          Meanwhile I'll be rebuilding my RGV250/? VJ23.....on www.rgv250.co.uk or Trying to decide how I want to put my GT750 together on www.suzuki2strokes.com

Hey im on suzuki2strokes too, i have a t500 engine that a buddy of mine wants to build a race replica frame for it.
                          I build Pipers

Comment

A TR500 style frame wouldn't be too hard to make using a T500 frame.
                            Always wondered about using a 400 bandit frame for one myself, and use head/cylinder bolts to mount engine. (Bandit has no lower frame)

I would love to have a CB1100RD...the D model I thought looked the best.
                            Never sold here in the states, but prices are in the stratosphere now. I know the Japanese have been buying them, bringing up the values like the Eddie Lawson Replica KZ.

Comment

Did we ever have the 400 in the states
                              I build Pipers

Comment

Don't know if they got here officially, however, seen 2-3 around texas

78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
                                82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
                                83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
                                2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
                                Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Working...
                                X