78 GS1000 left for dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The living dead...

Thanks for your ideas guys, used the new petcock with a somewhat kinked line, but it got it running without a drop of gas to be seen.

First time on the road since 1990.... Initial shakedown pass...

Came back without pushing it....feels really good, but still need to get brakes working better in front.

Nothing fell off....

Spare seat on it, as my carved out seat is getting recovered still.

Comment

Hope it doesnt have any flow restrictions at high speeds. Looks very nice.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You look like a happy man.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Pretty dang good for a bike that hasn't run in 26 years! congrats on the first run.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

It's been a long torturous year and a half getting this together....and way more $$$$ than I initially planned.
            But I'm almost there now...that is if a project can ever really be done. Clean tank more, get seat back on, redo front brakes, re figure fuel line (it's a bit kinked but I'm not in a full power mode yet to cause issues) still considering turn signals, a better headlight bezel, rear shocks, tighten chain, and recheck every bolt....still a seemingly endless list...

But I was definitely happy to pull out on the road and get a bit of entertainment for all my efforts

Comment

Originally posted by busa1300 View Post
              way more $$$$ than I initially planned.
              So its a motorcycle?

Comment

As always, the final tally seems to fade away every time you twist the throttle.
                Congrats, Busa.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

True.... But not much chance of fading each ride, with the snow we had today
                  Well, that gives me chance to keep working on it till its done.

Pulled out out my fuel line elbow from my 1000 tap....
                  Took some fuel line and put it in boiling water to permanently shape it......
                  Out of the two, the elbow would be the best, but not sure if I want to pull the pipe out of my brand new tap to put in the elbow just yet...????
                  try the hose first....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Busa,
                    If that's a new paint job, what was the paint and code number you used?I have a 78 C model which is soon to get a new spray.Would be interested if you have any info.
                    Regards Pete.

Comment

It is not new, original from factory tank and tail...
                      I have tried to get a good scan on my parts for a code but the R-M guys could not get a code.
                      One of the guys from the lab came in for a class about a month after that (we have a pretty big paint shop, about 100 total for prep/paint/final)
                      He told me that the companies during that time used an ink based type of paint to get the effects that are seen.
                      Basically a 3 part system. I can see my tank had a base of black, then a green metallic, then a blue candy like coat. So depending on the angle of light....the color goes from a greenish blue, to blue, to almost a purple. If it was a simple non metallic color the match would be quite easy....not so lucky on the C model.
                      From my research, there is no exact code.... I've come close for my fender and seat base...but it was a total custom mix with no code.

I have two blue seat bases also both original paint, both different from each other, and different from my tank.
                      So all 3 years of blue GS1000 were different.

if there is such a code, it must be hidden somewhere in the DEEP WEB....
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2016, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks Gents.I have heard the C model blue varies with both models off the production line and how the light hits it.Might have to settle for close.
                        Regards Pete

Comment

When you spray the fender and seat trim and its a "close enough" match then maybe they can scan that and get a mix code??? Please do keep us informed. Thanks.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'll make up a few spray cards and send them to you, and let you decide if they are what you want.
                            Ive painted out about 8 versions so far. I had one extremely close, but I put just a bit too much pearl in the clear, and it ended up too blue.
                            Going to do the seat base before next Tuesday, (when my seat will be done) and redo my fender again...
                            If it is close enough, you guys will be the first to see.

Comment

Just bought myself a new computer online today, so I should have better pics to view soon.
                              My phone just doesn't work that great as a all around computer.

Also bought a large amount of NOS parts from a Japanese site for my next project (RGV250-VJ23)
                              They had a Black Friday special....15 percent off on EVERYTHING ... Presents for me this year
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-25-2016, 07:29 PM.

Comment

GS1000 reincarnated

Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2016, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X