No announcement yet.

78 GS1000 left for dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is that front fender painted with your mixed paint? If so it sure looks darn close enough to me.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Fender is a bit blue still....too much pearl in clear. seat base is a bit green...no pearl in clear
      My sprayout is the closest, I just need to get the right amount of purple pearl in clear.
      I can send you a sprayout card of my closest match if that would help you any.

Comment

I cant do any painting till spring. But the pic may be fooling these old eyes...LOL Im sure youll get a good one sooner or later. I would like a card from that one though. I have heard the old cars used a color called Midnight Blue that was close but I cant confirm that as I havent shot it myself.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by busa1300 View Post

I sat and looked at these for a solid 20 minutes and this is my favourite gs by far
          I build Pipers

Comment

Busa, please submit that beauty to the Bike of the Month thread.
            Did you get a chance to properly ride it before hibernation?
            Did you end up dealing with the shop in Canada about your shocks?
            Can't believe i am going to nit-pick but what is up with the plug wire routing?
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The DETAILS......

I think I'm done....... Have several more projects literally on the table waiting, but this on has burned me out a bit

Comment

Plug wires

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                Busa, please submit that beauty to the Bike of the Month thread.
                Did you get a chance to properly ride it before hibernation?
                Did you end up dealing with the shop in Canada about your shocks?
                Can't believe i am going to nit-pick but what is up with the plug wire routing?
                Plug wires.....
                Seemed natural....Coils angle back, wires hook to the back side.....just seemed to work/look better

I did submit a couple days ago...but I submitted my Kat and my other GS too with no luck....
                Proper ride...no, not yet anyway....about 8miles on it.......I hate cold....
                Shocks.....still need shaft rechromed and new seals....haven't contacted anyone, I'll wait till holidays are over now.

Bike won't be getting used much for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                  I sat and looked at these for a solid 20 minutes and this is my favourite gs by far
                  Thank you.....I have a street fighter style CBX, and a AMA style GS already. So it had to be a cool sport tour bike with old school wire wheels.....this is what I came up with.

Comment

The End for now......

My time here is basically done till spring, then I'll report what has fallen off and why....or ask you guys why things are not working or falling off.
                    Meanwhile I'll be rebuilding my RGV250/? VJ23.....on www.rgv250.co.uk or Trying to decide how I want to put my GT750 together on www.suzuki2strokes.com

Comment

Wires get routed between then two tunnels for the cams on the cover. Holders go on the inside cover bolt. Then you just double back then wires onto themselves to plug them onto a plug.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        Wires get routed between then two tunnels for the cams on the cover. Holders go on the inside cover bolt. Then you just double back then wires onto themselves to plug them onto a plug.
                        Yes....on a stock bike with factory wires and coils, they do go over the cams and lay on them.
                        I also need a better headlight ring, as the one on bike is kinda rough
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2016, 02:55 PM.

Comment

I was just sayin. But based on the pics you posted there is ample room to route them that way and not have them crossing over the cam end covers. Not that it matters because its your bike of course. Just a cleaner look was my point.

Comment

Looks great. I like the rear of the seat being flush with the tail.

Is the GT a next project teaser?
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              Looks great. I like the rear of the seat being flush with the tail.

Is the GT a next project teaser?
                              Thanks...

The 72 GT frame has been in that state for probably two years.....it has been subconsciously nagging and teasing me with thoughts for too long.
                              Once again, taking trash and cast away parts to make something that will hopefully be cool, fun and noisy......
                              I have some connections that can get me close to 90rear wheel HP and still be streetable.....so the frame will be getting worked over a bit too

Comment

Hibernation GS1000

Hibernation..... Spring seems so far away....

Comment

Working...
                                X