No announcement yet.

JohnnyL's 1980 GS550L Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My opinion on petcocks is this. If you have the 1980 style oem petcock without the lever I would replace it with a Pingel. If you have the lever style oem and don’t really need the high flow of a Pingel then a replacement lever type oem is fine. I have both type on my various bikes and have never left a Pingel in the ON position. Maybe I’m different, I also know how to use an easy out without breaking one and I can use the factory oem valve adjustment tool while adjusting valves on the shim bucket engines instead of sticking zip ties in the spark plug hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Yet another vote for OEM.

1. In racing use, where you have wide open throttle for much of the time, there is not enough manifold vacuum to keep the petcock open.

I figured this out the hard way only this summer. Kept getting sluggish throttle response right at mid corner transition from trail braking to power on.
      You're confirming my theory Steve. I'm gonna select Prime next track day.
      Thanks!
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I have been thinking about an electronic fuel valve next to the Pingel i have.
        Sure forgot to shut it off more than once, but lucky enough not to suffer float failure.

Anyone use something like this ?

The AFC 151 (12v) is compact multi-purpose 2 way normally closed solenoid shut off valve that will provide On/Off control of air, gas and other media.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

No experience with that particular device, but my 1979 KZ1300 came with an electronic solenoid to shut off the fuel. One of the common "improvements" was to remove that solenoid. I think it also had a vacuum-operated petcock, so not sure why it also had the solenoid. I never had problems with mine, so never removed it.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, will be looking for something like that.
            BTW the one i posted has a .110” orifice so is unsuitable for
            use on the GS.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

60 degrees in February in Indiana! We just had to pull the bikes out from under their winter covers and go for a family ride.

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
              1980 Suzuki GS550L cafe project Link
              2019 Yamaha MT-09
              2016 Honda CBR650F(wife’s bike)
              2001 Honda CBR600F4i(Son's bike)

Comment

Does anyone happen to know how many times the cable drive speed sensor turns per one rotation of the wheel? I need to know this for setting the speedometer up. I could raise the front wheel and count the rotations but I'm just wondering if anyone happens to know offhand.
                1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyL View Post
                  Does anyone happen to know how many times the cable drive speed sensor turns per one rotation of the wheel? I need to know this for setting the speedometer up. I could raise the front wheel and count the rotations but I'm just wondering if anyone happens to know offhand.
                  Interesting I do believe it is standard across all suzukis. Its buried in the archives somewhere.
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Brian came over last night to help me tune the bike. We first synced the carbs with his syncing tool. The engine had to be idling pretty high(about 4000 rpm) to even get the vacuum carbs to register on the gauges. Once the carbs were synced, we were able to set the idle to about 1200 RPM. The bike would sit and idle fairly well but would pop every once and awhile. As soon as you crack the throttle up to about 5000 RPM, the revs would run away and stay at 5-6000 RPM. We checked for air leaks and didn't find any. Brian thinks maybe the main jets are too large and that I may have the float heights off.

So this morning I took the carbs off of the bike and removed the bowls to check float heights. The manual states that the heights should be set at 22.4mm +/- 1mm. I found them set at 20.67, 20.78, 20.45 and 20.72. Obviously off. I then wanted to check all my float needle springs so I removed all of the floats. When I did this, I discovered the float post on carb #3 was wiggling around. WTF? When I went to tough it, it fell right off. The previous owner had obviously broken it and tried to repair it with some JB Weld. I don't know how I didn't see this when I rebuilt the carbs the first time. So now I'm screwed. I either need to find someone with a spare #3 carb to sell or buy a whole new set which I'm not even sure where to get. They're Mikuni BS32SS carbs. Shyte.

Last edited by JohnnyL; 02-04-2020, 02:06 PM.
                    1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                    2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Johnny, I've seen threads here of people repairing broken carb float post like yours. Hope is not lost. Do a little searching..
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        Johnny, I've seen threads here of people repairing broken carb float post like yours. Hope is not lost. Do a little searching..
                        Thanks! I didn't realize this was a common problem. I read about the suggested repairs. Since I'd rather not have any janky repairs on this bike, I decided to purchase a set of carbs off of eBay for $138 and free shipping. The price didn't seem too bad since I've seen them sell over $450 for a set. I'll pull #3 off of the eBay set and clean it up and replace my #3 with it.

I'm going to bet money that this is why the bike ran poorly. While I'm in the carbs though, I am going to change out the 117.5 main jets for 100s and set the float heights to where they're supposed to be.

​eBay set for $138
                        1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                        2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Agree. And at that price, if most the parts of ebay carb rack you bought are in decent shape, than you'll have lots of spare carb parts on hand, just in case you ever need anything else.
                          Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 02-04-2020, 11:47 AM.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Going all the way down to #100 jets seems WAY too low. I am thinking the stock jet is around #112 (look it up because I don't know for sure). With pods, and a free flowing pipe, you'll need to go at least one size up from stock, possibly 2 sizes. Also will need to raise your needles at least one notch. Granted, you don't have an airbox in your way, and it's easy to remove them, but why do more work than you have too. LOL
                            '83 GS 1100T
                            The Jet

sigpic
                            '95 GSXR 750w
                            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

According to this chart, a US model ‘80 GS 550L had 92.5 Main jets.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                                Going all the way down to #100 jets seems WAY too low. I am thinking the stock jet is around #112 (look it up because I don't know for sure). With pods, and a free flowing pipe, you'll need to go at least one size up from stock, possibly 2 sizes. Also will need to raise your needles at least one notch. Granted, you don't have an airbox in your way, and it's easy to remove them, but why do more work than you have too. LOL
                                Stock main was 92.5. Stock pilot was 40. Going up to 100 on the main and 42.5 on the pilot.
                                1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                                2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Working...
                                X