No announcement yet.

JohnnyL's 1980 GS550L Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whilst you can go up a size on the pilots it's normally not necessary even with pods, just open the screws a bit.. say 3.5 turns ish

The float numbers were high so it would have been running rich
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Whilst you can go up a size on the pilots it's normally not necessary even with pods, just open the screws a bit.. say 3.5 turns ish

The float numbers were high so it would have been running rich
      I thought I read somewhere that if you go up 3 main sizes, you go up one pilot size.? I think my running poorly was due to a combination of problems. Floats too high, broken float post and too large of a main.

eBay carbs arrive today and I will be swapping out the broken carb for a good one. We'll see how it runs after this is done.
      1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
      1980 Suzuki GS550L cafe project Link
      2019 Yamaha MT-09
      2016 Honda CBR650F(wife’s bike)
      2001 Honda CBR600F4i(Son's bike)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        According to this chart, a US model ‘80 GS 550L had 92.5 Main jets.
        I stand corrected. I wouldn't have thought they would be so small. But, I have never had a 550 apart before either. Carry on...
        '83 GS 1100T
        The Jet

sigpic
        '95 GSXR 750w
        The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

The painter just sent me some pics of the tank and seat. The red is a candy red over metallic gold. It hasn't been clear coated yet. He will color sand it with a 5000 grit and then spray clear coat over all the edges where there was mask. He will then color sand it again and then clear coat it. The mask lines will be indeterminable. He's asking me if I want to go with a matte clear or a gloss clear. Any opinions?

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
          2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Holy SH]T! That paint job is AWESOME!
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I'd go for a semi gloss or matt on that paint job personally. When it's done well (which that is...) it looks great.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I wonder if it would be possible to make the candy red glossy and deep, with the white and black a matte finish? Now that would be special. 👍 looks great eather way🌞
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Can you swing by Plymouth (the UK one) and pick up my tank and panels etc. and get them painted as well please. Makes mine look like I painted it in the dark by the side of the motorway.
                  1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

Originally posted by erki52 View Post
                    Can you swing by Plymouth (the UK one) and pick up my tank and panels etc. and get them painted as well please. Makes mine look like I painted it in the dark by the side of the motorway.
                    Sure! Always wanted to go to the UK.

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                    I wonder if it would be possible to make the candy red glossy and deep, with the white and black a matte finish? Now that would be special.  looks great eather way
                    Yes it's possible but I already have enough $ wrapped up in the paint job on this. I've seen him do this on some helmets. Such a cool look.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                    Holy SH]T! That paint job is AWESOME!
                    I know right? I'm pretty stoked about it too!

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    I'd go for a semi gloss or matt on that paint job personally. When it's done well (which that is...) it looks great.
                    I decided to go with a matte finish. If I'm unhappy with it, I can always take it back to him at a later date and have him re-clear it in gloss. He said he has done that gold/candy red with a matte finish before and it looks killer.
                    1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                    2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

DANG that looks nice.

I like the lettering. It might stave off a few of the "what kinda Harley izzat?" questions.

And yes, I've seriously gotten that question while standing next to a Suzuki. Indiana is not that far from Milwaukee...
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Wow, that looks great! I am still a fan of high gloss. Though, the with the type of build you have going on, the matte should look awesome. Kudos to your paint guy.
                        '83 GS 1100T
                        The Jet

sigpic
                        '95 GSXR 750w
                        The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Quick update...I choked up the money for some DNA filters. Thankfully....these filters actually fit between the carbs and the frame! I can't believe I ordered these on Tuesday and they arrived today(Friday) from....Patra, Greece! Whoa!

I also purchased a Kuryakyn oil catch can for a Harley Davidson. It came in Chrome but I painted it texture black like the engine.

I don't think I like the red fuel lines and breather lines. I'm probably going to change these out for black.

I received the eBay carbs yesterday and rebuilt #3, swapped out all the mains for 100's and set the floats at 23mm. #4 carb on the eBay set also had a broken float post. I will be starting the bike up later today to see how it runs.

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                          2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

I like those pods. Cost? Link? Might be a good alternative for me over K&N for my GSXR.
                            '83 GS 1100T
                            The Jet

sigpic
                            '95 GSXR 750w
                            The Rocket

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                              I like those pods. Cost? Link? Might be a good alternative for me over K&N for my GSXR.
                              Special 'D' shape "Billet Aluminum CNC machined top" Clamp On filters specially designed for the Kawasaki Zephyr 1100. Developed to clear the frame at cylinder 1 & 4, it can be used in many custom applications where space is and issue.

$257 ouch.....
                              1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                              2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Ouch indeed ! ! ! K&N's are cheaper, lol
                                '83 GS 1100T
                                The Jet

sigpic
                                '95 GSXR 750w
                                The Rocket

Comment

Working...
                                X