No announcement yet.

82 GS1100E Mr Turbo Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been MANY years since i was on the trails and the YT bikes would have been out of ability and price range but their site was cool to look through.
    Carry on.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Man this thing looks great!
      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
      - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
        That thing hanging off the headers below the engine, can I assume that's some sort of waste gate, in case too much pressure builds up? Question: if that opens, don't the decibels rise?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I bought my son 14 y/o, now 15 (only kid so he's spoiled) the YT carbon frame enduro when it was 20% off. He had a Fuji that I got from Performance Bike when they closed, and he rode the wheels off it. In one year he went from a 5'3" 150 lb slightly pudgy kid to a complete fitness stud, putting in well over 100 miles a week. He grew to 5'10" in about 14 months, and still weighs 150, but is solid muscle. He logs his rides on Strava and has a blast. Altitude gains of 2 to 6K' on a typical 20 to 40 mile ride Best investment ever - he hits all the marks, nature, fitness, friends, and mechanical interest. I ride with him but he's so far beyond me it's pathetic. I can manage about 15 miles and I'm gassed, but happy to be with him and getting some exercise.

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Been MANY years since i was on the trails and the YT bikes would have been out of ability and price range but their site was cool to look through.
          Carry on.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Yeah Rob it's some no-name wastegate. It's what makes that pffft sound when it releases, you've probably heard on WRXs terrorizing the streets. It's a poppet valve just like any valve, with adjustable spring tension. Primitive by today's standards I'm sure, but really well made brass and chrome, and so simple, I just cleaned and checked it and it looks fine.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            That thing hanging off the headers below the engine, can I assume that's some sort of waste gate, in case too much pressure builds up? Question: if that opens, don't the decibels rise?
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I bought my son 14 y/o, now 15 (only kid so he's spoiled) the YT carbon frame enduro when it was 20% off. He had a Fuji that I got from Performance Bike when they closed, and he rode the wheels off it. In one year he went from a 5'3" 150 lb slightly pudgy kid to a complete fitness stud, putting in well over 100 miles a week. He grew to 5'10" in about 14 months, and still weighs 150, but is solid muscle. He logs his rides on Strava and has a blast. Altitude gains of 2 to 6K' on a typical 20 to 40 mile ride Best investment ever - he hits all the marks, nature, fitness, friends, and mechanical interest. I ride with him but he's so far beyond me it's pathetic. I can manage about 15 miles and I'm gassed, but happy to be with him and getting some exercise.
              Your son is going to love the turbo 1100 👍 You better hide the keys. 🌞
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I told him I'd pass it on to him the day we die.... black humor.

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                Your son is going to love the turbo 1100  You better hide the keys. 
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I could use some help on a ground wire attachment location. I took a pic of one black wire with white tracer, with the socket on it showing the location. But there is another that you can see part of below it, bottom left corner, same color with round fitting to mount to a screw. It is longer, and I didn't note its location in a pic. it has assumed a curved shape leading me to think it goes to the fuse/relay panel, but if so,to what?

That's what it looks like in the wiring diagram pic below, the green circled one is to the frame, the red perhaps to the screw that mounts the fuse box?

Any help appreciated. Also where the negative battery terminal mounts. I think it's to the battery tray forward mount, or somewhere near there.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 05-12-2020, 08:49 PM. Reason: added wiring diagram pic
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I'm not an authority on variations between models, but if the 1100 is similar to my 850's, I believe the ground wire with the ring terminal goes to the starter solenoid, one of the solenoid mounting fasteners?

As for the battery neg cable, that should go to the bolt on the top side of the rear portion of the engine, in the center. I believe it's the bolt in the background of your image, peeking through right between the socket and the corner of the battery box.
                    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

OK thanks, the battery cable to engine bolt registers with some distant memories of GS's past, strangely not this one though! I was thinking solenoid too, will double check because it would seem the diagram would show it there on the diagram to a post on #3 relay.

Update: yes 93Bandit that's the location, thanks. I checked the screw and it was loose, so I must have taken it off. The curve of the wire matches up exactly to that location.

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                      I'm not an authority on variations between models, but if the 1100 is similar to my 850's, I believe the ground wire with the ring terminal goes to the starter solenoid, one of the solenoid mounting fasteners?

As for the battery neg cable, that should go to the bolt on the top side of the rear portion of the engine, in the center. I believe it's the bolt in the background of your image, peeking through right between the socket and the corner of the battery box.
                      Last edited by oldGSfan; 05-14-2020, 01:33 PM.
                      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

OK thanks, the battery cable to engine bolt registers with some distant memories of GS's past, strangely not this one though! I was thinking solenoid too, will double check because it would seem the diagram would show it there on the diagram to a post on #3 relay.
                        On my 850, a ground wire goes to the mounting bolt for the solenoid, not to an actual post on the relay, so I don't think that would show on a wiring diagram. I could be wrong though.

Comment

A little more help needed, this time the center stand. There is a little rubber cushion, about 3/4" round with a tip to insert into a receiving hole 'somewhere'. It's #7 on the diagram. Anyone know where this goes? I'm not seeing where.

Side note - I watched a YouTube video of a guy struggling forever with pennies and washers, trying to fit the spring. I got it on in about a minute, using a long screwdriver. I used the swingarm as leverage, with the screwdriver tip resting on the U of the bottom ahead of the tire, and pulled it on without too much effort. Maybe helpful to someone.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

On my 850, the rubber piece is in the bottom of the rear portion of the footpeg frame piece, where the rear exhaust hanger bolts too. It contacts the flat portion of the stand, right above the "foot" of the stand.

It's probably in a similar location on yours, assuming that part of the frame wasn't modified/removed.

Comment

On my 1100E it goes on a tab welded to the exhaust. A SuperTrapp to be exact.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Side note - I watched a YouTube video of a guy struggling forever with pennies and washers, trying to fit the spring. I got it on in about a minute, using a long screwdriver. I used the swingarm as leverage, with the screwdriver tip resting on the U of the bottom ahead of the tire, and pulled it on without too much effort. Maybe helpful to someone.
                                hee hee. Clearly you’re old school enough to have done that on car drum brakes.
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X