No announcement yet.

Gs1000 Bonneville Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's the fairing for our MPS runs! Just mocked up here, lots of mounting/trimming to do still. If it doesn't go fast, at least it looks cool
    We've got essentially all of our parts in now, oiling system is nearly done.

gs fairing.jpg

Comment

Very nice!!
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Hey everyone, we are on the home stretch now. Landspeedrich was kind enough to loan us some stock gs1150 carbs if we want to use them. I want to get everyone's input on using them or sticking with stock 1100 carbs. Is anyone knowledgeable enough to give me an idea of what range of jet sets would be good to get? The 1100 carbs currently have 138 mains and 45 pilots in them (the kind with six holes in the sides). The 1150 carbs have 120 mains in them and 45 pilots (the kind with no holes in the sides). I notice that the head of the 1150 jets are fatter but otherwise the jets appear the same. Can they be interchanged between carbs? Does anyone have enough knowledge to recommend a good range that could probably work at 4200ft in warmer temps (whatever the forecast for bonneville says)

The bike ran nice at 0 feet with the stock carbs and 138 mains and 45 pilots. Stock engine, pods, 4-1 exhaust.

let me me know if you can help! Thanks!
        -Len

Comment

Back from the salt flats!
          Overall we consider it a successful trip. We went to try to set the open records in fuel class, only to find out that the guy who set the gas records last year is running in fuel now - he's got a decently hot motor, so no surprise that our stock-ish mill didn't quite beat him although we were agonizingly close. I think our ergo design went a long way.
          Long story short, we did 141mph naked and 142mph with the fairing. We struggled with fueling issues for about a day, turns out Suzuki didn't design the petcock to flow enough for the bike to be wide open throttle for 4 miles!
          We had some great runs with no fairing, but the fairing setup will need to be developed. We will need a ram air setup and some tweaks in the mounting points for the fairing to do anything further with it.
          We are now trying to figure out how to go faster... have a few things being considered right now. If anybody has some race parts for this motor, please PM us! Looking for cams mainly. I have a line on a bigger carb most likely.

Stevef. standing, me squatting, in scrutineering

Me with the fairing

stevef. and the wife!

Stevef. riding naked

A majestic pup

Booty shot

Our intrepid photographer

And as a bonus, freakhousecustoms' contraption! Loved seeing it out there, thanks for the advice.

Comment

Cool pictures 👍 I'll dig around my stuff to see if I have any speed parts I can donate👍 Keep up the good work, and "Save the Salt" 🌞
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Thanks for the update. Glad it was a safe outing with no mishaps. Great pictures.

Curious that the fairing only added 1 mph.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I totally respect the wherewithall to actually enter this event.
                It seems like regardless of the bike or class, the commitment to actually enter is way beyond a huge deal.
                It must be complete euphoria lining up for the run of a lifetime on the salt flats and dealing with aftermath...
                Great shot as well!
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Good for you! That is pretty fast. Congratulations.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    Thanks for the update. Glad it was a safe outing with no mishaps. Great pictures.

Ive read stories about large fairings causing air pressure dips and spikes and causing fuel metering issues. That may be part of the difference.... or it could be like he said and its just running out of fuel.

Either way that is really cool! Congrats!
                    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Thanks everybody!

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                      I totally respect the wherewithall to actually enter this event.
                      It seems like regardless of the bike or class, the commitment to actually enter is way beyond a huge deal.
                      It must be complete euphoria lining up for the run of a lifetime on the salt flats and dealing with aftermath...
                      Great shot as well!
                      Thanks! You'd think 10 months is plenty of time to get a bike done... but it was a crunch to get it done in time. Definitely a cool and unique experience.

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                      Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                      Ive read stories about large fairings causing air pressure dips and spikes and causing fuel metering issues. That may be part of the difference.... or it could be like he said and its just running out of fuel.
                      Either way that is really cool! Congrats!
                      I have a few theories as to why the fairing didn't work as well as we'd hoped.
                      1. I think it was creating a low-pressure area behind the fairing. With pod filters, the carb is sucking against a slight vacuum already, with a giant fairing it's an even bigger vacuum.
                      2. We didn't have a full tail for the wind to merge 'cleanly' behind the fairing. We knew this wasn't gonna be ideal, but we wanted to keep it simple and use the same tail for both naked and faired runs. It probably made more of a difference than we expected.
                      3. It's too wide, particularly at the bottom. The GS mill is a fairly wide motor to begin with, and our mounts spaced it out a few inches around that. We were pushing more air than we needed to.

Going forward, I think we will have to trim/tuck the fairing, maybe cut off significant parts of it at the bottom even. But most significantly, we need to design and build a custom airbox and ram air system before taking this bike out with a fairing again. We need to change that vacuum around the carbs into a slightly pressurized area instead. I'm digging into the theories behind ram air and effective airbox design right now, and it's a pretty deep rabbit hole. Since the mid-90's, sportbike manufacturers have put a lot of R&D into their airbox design, and I don't have the knowledge/time/resources to make something that good - just hoping it'll be effective enough.

Comment

This pic pretty well illustrates what I am talking about as far as lower width.

Comment

I don't know if you have any places near you that you could test "at or near" speed, but you might find some type of barometric pressure device and place it near the carbs to see whats going on. My phone actually has a barometer built into it and it records pressure changes for 12 hours, your's may have a similar feature.
                          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

What classes did you run, and can you take your engine out to 1350cc?

Cool adventure, glad all worked out good for you guys. So what classes exactly did you guys run? 1350cc M-PC (modified frame/chassis with production classic engine) and MPS-PC (modified frame partially streamlined), or M-CG (classic gasoline) and MPS-CG (classic gasoline) ? And in the classes you ran, can you take you engine out to a full 1350cc? And what would you say the difference is between the engine classes PC Production Classic (pre 1981 production) and CG Classic Gasoline pre 1981 engine? Just a quick look at the AMA rule book, for me, it looks like stock production 1980 GS110e would do pretty good in the 1350cc P-PC class. Especially if you could take the engine out to 1327cc with a nicely ported head, with cams and high compression pistons. It looks like with the "P" frame/chassis class, whether current modern production bikes, or stock classic pre 1981 bikes, you have to use the entire unmodified original factory exhaust, carbs, and air box? Plus, it looks like you have to run with the original side stand and center stand?

Comment

I entered a race across the Baja Peninsula back in '87. San Filepe to Ensenada.It was about 130 miles over a paved toad I have on;y seen that one time. No pre-run for me. I discovered that after 30 or 40 seconds, I would run out of fuel with both petcocks open. The Mikunis have larger float valves I could install. It was mostly straight, with a couple of twisty areas. My bike would pull 7100 RPM, which as geared, was in the 120-125 mph range. When it starved for fuel, I would have to back out of the throttle till it ran clean. Steady state was about 6500 rpm. I wishI could have run flat out without backing off. The bike finished sixth in the Vintage class. I rode it there, raced it, and rode it home. That was about a 600 mile weekend. Finished sixth in the vintage class. Fred Eiker won overall, on a 1974 Norton averaging over 117. He was hitting 145 on the straights. Only 1, 2, and 3 cylinders were allowed. Lots of Ducatis, Guzzies, and Laverdas. There was a 1st gen. Honda CB750R like the one that Dick Mann won Daytona on that DNF ed.

Most racing, you just don't keep it flat out that long. It is easy for me to believe that you couldn't pass enough fuel.

An old Ducati Jupiter 450 won the singles class over all the Honda and Kawasaki much larger singles with more valves.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks for the update on "Stevef. and Kordyte's Excellent Adventure".
                                Even with all the work i bet it was a blast.

Top quality photos as well.
                                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X