where to buy tappet gauge set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KRISTI'SGS550 View Post
    I am looking into getting a tappet feeler guage and like the snap on one within this post. Does anyone know if a straight blade compared to blades with a curve are easier or harder to use in valve adjusts? What I really want to know are the flat blades workable/doable? Or do I need to get the bend blades from like Z1?

Thanks in advance

Cory
    Flat blades are fine. They're so thin they have no problem flexing a little to get under the cam.

Comment

robertob,
      good to know thank you for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by KRISTI'SGS550 View Post
        I am looking into getting a tappet feeler guage and like the snap on one within this post. Does anyone know if a straight blade compared to blades with a curve are easier or harder to use in valve adjusts? What I really want to know are the flat blades workable/doable? Or do I need to get the bend blades from like Z1?

Thanks in advance

Cory
        I bought my set from NAPA for $6 and it goes down to .038mm which is perfect for GS valve adjustments. As someone else said, if the .038 or .04mm doesn't fit you're probably going down 1 size of shim( example 2.65 down to 2.60mm) bringing it to .08(or even .09mm is fine). I even went down 2 shim sizes in a couple of my valves.
        That size (less than .04mm) is like paper anyway so who cares about the angled set. Be careful, or you'll put a crimp in either if you try to force it. I had no problems using my set on the valve adjustments I did a few weeks ago.
        Be sure to use mm in your discussion as someone mentioned going down to .001?? which is in inches! The shims are sold in mm and causes some confusion if you use inches.

Here is a link showing details of my GS1100G valve adjustment:
        This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Hope this helps.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2008, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I bought a set that includes the .03mm blade from BikeBandit. I think it was "Bikemaster" brand.

It's not worth farting around with inch size gauges.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            How about $5.20 for a Snap-On set that goes down to 0.001" (0.0254mm)?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
            Ordered and received exactly one week later. goes down to .01mm no .02 but .03 on, I had two valves with clearance, PO neglected this machine. Best Part Free Shipping! Thanks Nessism Once again

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              I found mine (.04mm and up) at Advance Auto, which is Kragen and Checker in some places.

I'm not too concerned about the lack of a .03mm blade -- if it's that tight, I'm going down one shim size anyway.
              I too have a set that goes down to .04. And I too change them down a size if its that tight. Might as well cos you'll be doing it soon enough anyway.

Picked mine up at Z1enterprises.com, but then was in Autozone the other day, an noticed that they now carry the same set. They didnt before. Jerks.

Comment

A lot of places sell a set that has .038mm, .051mm, .063 and .076 and a bunch of bigger ones.
                They are inch sizes but the metric equivalents are printed on the blades too.

I try to get the intakes between .038 and .063, the exhausts between .051 and .076, and if not then looser is better than tighter.

A better set with .03, .04, .05 etc. would be nice but then so would shims every .02 or so.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I bought the Snap on set on line for less than $6 delivered. Works well. Thanks Nessim. Ray
                  "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                  GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                  1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                  1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                  1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Working...
                  X