No announcement yet.

My dabble in synthetic oil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just changed mine to 20w50 amsoil monday night went up hill in 3rd gear full throttle NO slip. shifts down into first with a KWACK, up into 2nd with a kwack, 3rd-4th-5th SMOOTH shift (the kwack was there even with 15w40 rotella t but about 25% better) i can stop it in neutral pull the clutch in kwack it into 1st without having to roll it forward or backward (which only happened before hot) only 80 miles on the oil change so far in 80+ degree temps, but it's looking good. i have had 75w90 full synthetic in the secondary and final drives when ford changed over to 75w140 (got 1-1/2 cases of 75w90 for free) i have ran it with 75w90 about 3,000 miles and i like it.
    just a seat of the pants feel so far, the temps are down.
    Last edited by rustybronco; 06-21-2006, 11:54 AM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Synthetic Oil

I recently purchased a !981 GS550T from a seller on EBay. The very first thing I did was to replace the whatever oil he was using to Amsoil 20~50 synthetic motorcycle oil. There is a small bit of leakage from the cam cover, but as I recall, some of these models came from the factory with the same problem. The clutch is much better, as is finding neutral. Overall, the benefits of the synthetics outweigh the slight inconvenience posed by Suzuki's somewhat dubius gaskets of that era.

Comment

oil grade?

I noticed someone went to 5w-40, is that ok to do even though the filler cap says 10w-40 on it? sorry if this is a dumb question but I figure if I dont ask I wont know for sure. thanks

Comment

More Lube Stuff

Back just after the Earth cooled, I used this additive from Kal-Gard in my Four Strokes, and even in a couple of cars I owned. It was quite effective in my big Honda, smoothing out that engine and gearbox. I had forgotten about it until recently. I even used their gear oil in a Sportster back in '83 and was able to get neutral anytime I wanted. The dealer didn't believe it, so I rode back to his shop and let him try for himself. I don't know how it would behave with synthetic oils, but I can't believe they would sell a product that would land them in court. I have added their link in this message. I add the usual disclaimer: I am not affliated with them in any way, shape, or form.

Comment

Originally posted by Davefw
            I noticed someone went to 5w-40, is that ok to do even though the filler cap says 10w-40 on it? sorry if this is a dumb question but I figure if I dont ask I wont know for sure. thanks
            The 5 in 5w40 represents the viscosity of the base stock that the oil is based on before it is modified to behave like a heavier oil. From what I've been told, the only time it matters is when it is very cold, which for most motorcyclists is rarely. However, when it is actually that cold 5w40 is going to flow easier than 10w40. This is from my brother who sells Amsoil and knows a whole heap of a lot more about oil than I do. I hope I'm not misquoting him.

Comment

I use Mobil1 synthetic motorcycle oil in my 821100glz. I find that when I use the 10W40 I get a better power curve, however when I use the 20W50 (VTwin oil) the bike runs a little smoother and alot cooler.

I will be going to sturgis this year so I will be picking up some 20w50 to run in the hills .

Never had a leak problem, and the clutch is still perfect at 21,000 miles (9K of those are mine).

Comment

Poured some Golden Spectro in there tonight. We'll see how it is at $11.95/qt.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Davefw
                  some people on the board have used rotella synthetic 5w40 and love it so the answer is yes.

Comment

Suzuki 5w40

I use suzuki 5w40 $5 bucks a ltr seems ok.

Comment

It is my understanding that synth has a lot more detergent in it. Would it therefore be prudent to change the oil and filter fairly early after first introducing the synthetic oil for the first time (all the gunk would be freed up)?

Comment

Originally posted by jm_foote
                        It is my understanding that synth has a lot more detergent in it. Would it therefore be prudent to change the oil and filter fairly early after first introducing the synthetic oil for the first time (all the gunk would be freed up)?
                        Some would argue but I would agree with your thinking. If there is any sludge build up washed away by the increased detergent it will be in the oil.

Comment

Amsoil Synthetic
                          20w50 For Vtwin's

No Problems
                          Converted Nike Over At 7155 Miles
                          Now Has Just Under 14,000
                          Runs Sweet

Comment

Anyone ever try a lower viscosity? 5W30?

Comment

Originally posted by jm_foote
                              Anyone ever try a lower viscosity? 5W30?
                              Its an energy conserving oil so don't use it, not good for the clutches.

Comment

Trying out Amsoil 15W40. Seems ok so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X