My dabble in synthetic oil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dabble in synthetic oil...

Well guys, i thought i'd post up my results on a little test i did.

I changed from a the regular 10w40 oil to a 10w40 semi-syntheic oil with NO energy conserving properties...

I have a 1980 gs550e with the 650 top end, along with barnett clutch plates and ebc springs...I would say that i beat on this bike pretty hard, but do take care of it.

My top end noise that was present from the cam chain went down about 60-70%... i can barely detect it now.

My powerband seems quieter.. (6k-redline) And while it doesn't necessarily pull harder, it seems smoother. I experience no clutch slip what-so-ever.

I still have a hard time finding neutral, but it's a tad easier, and clutch drag has gone down almost 100%.

overall, i would say to anyone considering this change, DO IT.

I won't be going back to regular oil.
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

I just finished running about 1000 miles since changing to a synthetic blend ... I've since discovered that this "blended" oil most likely contains almost no synthetic, and so I wasn't surprised to find that the bike's performance didn't change in any way significant enough to notice.

I DO intend to go full synthetic from now on (based on the positive results I've heard from several people I know and trust), and look forward to noticing the positive changes others have reported.

Regards,

Comment

Sounds like it worked well for you. Would you mind sharing the what brand of oil you used?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by hunter58
        Sounds like it worked well for you. Would you mind sharing the what brand of oil you used?

Steve
        Shell Rotella full synth is available at Walmart in gallon jugs for not much more than regualr oil. That's what most people here running synth use.

Comment

Got some of that today. Rotella 5w-40 Synth. Should have the bike running in about a week. I'll let everybody know how it is.

Comment

sounds like it worked pretty good, i had a bad experience with syn. in older bikes. It has always (2 times-2 bikes) caused my engine to develope leakes. I talked to a reputable engine guru and he said that syn's have a large % of detergents (meant to keep new engines clean) but will clear crud in older engines, i guess that crud was keeping her form leaking. Anywho, all i did was replace the gaskets and good as new.

Just a heads up for anyone switching in an older bike.

Comment

I've been using Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic oil for the last two oil changes, and I'm very pleased with the results.

By the way, if you want to use a blended oil, just buy two quarts of synthetic and two of dino oil and blend them in your engine. The two types are compatible, and you will know exactly how much of each you're getting.

Comment

Originally posted by ericox
                sounds like it worked pretty good, i had a bad experience with syn. in older bikes. It has always (2 times-2 bikes) caused my engine to develope leakes. I talked to a reputable engine guru and he said that syn's have a large % of detergents (meant to keep new engines clean) but will clear crud in older engines, i guess that crud was keeping her form leaking. Anywho, all i did was replace the gaskets and good as new.

Just a heads up for anyone switching in an older bike.
                Anyone who wants to use synth in thier bikes should not worry about the gaskets. If it's crud that is keeping your engine tight, I'd rather know about it and deal with it than not.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                  Anyone who wants to use synth in thier bikes should not worry about the gaskets. If it's crud that is keeping your engine tight, I'd rather know about it and deal with it than not.
                  Oh! Solid point bro!

Comment

I agree totally.

Comment

Once you get into the high miles with the engine's they tend not to like moving. One guy had 300,000 miles on a ford, with original miles and said that he was wanting to move to synthetic, the host of the radio show said not to as the sythn will breakdown the crud that engine has made, and will probably kill the engine.

The first time I put in synthetic was into my CB900, fired up just fine, but it was hard getting the shifter to go into gear, and she ground a bit going in. After that first shift she has been as happy as a clam. Synthetic has now taken over the engine, subtranny and final drive. Some time I'll have to try out synthetic fork oil.

Comment

get something with a lighter oil base. 5w something or 0w something. that ended my clutch drag problems which were only present during the warm ups

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                          Shell Rotella full synth is available at Walmart in gallon jugs for not much more than regualr oil. That's what most people here running synth use.

Shell Rotella T 'full' synth is only 13% synthetic base stock...mostly dino oil...Any deisel oil makes a great GREAT motorcycle oil though; Even Mobil 1 Extended life is not pure synthetic stock. Only full synths now are Amsoil, Redline, Motul.
                          Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Would love to move to Syth Oil

Just bought the bike and dont really know what it's running on right now. Would love to move to synthetic. I am assuming that the clutch isn't a concern and that it will grip the same as with regular oil?
                            I agree about finding leaks...I would rather know about gum up/leaks than not.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rocket GS1100
                              Just bought the bike and dont really know what it's running on right now. Would love to move to synthetic. I am assuming that the clutch isn't a concern and that it will grip the same as with regular oil?
                              I agree about finding leaks...I would rather know about gum up/leaks than not.
                              The main concern is finding a mix/synthetic that doesn't have "energy conserving properties". You can check this on the oil seal on the back.
                              1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Working...
                              X