X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road tools for bike.

Roadside repair tools.

Many of us have been there.
    Bike quits or loosing power on the road.
    Could repair if you had the correct tools for the job.
    Not everything needed in oem tools.
    What other tools do you carry with you?

On a motorcycle most of us do not carry much.
    There are some things I do not leave the house without.

Screwdriver with interchanging heads.
    Attachment to change screwdriver into nut driver.
    A few smaller sockets for nut driver.

Wrenches for chain alignment.

Wire cutters/strippers.
    Electric tape.
    Extra fuses.
    Headlight bulb.

Flashlight.

Though not for working on the bike I keep a pair of tight to cheek safety glasses with me for riding.
    They come in real handy with foggy conditions and also kept in case of visor problems.

I just picked up a new multi-tool and was thinking I really could use a few more things that were lightweight, or multipurpose while still being well built to make any roadside repairs quicker and better.

What do you carry with you?
    Pictures and links most welcome.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-07-2014, 09:59 AM. Reason: adding a few

Pack whatever you want. Show it to a friend. Let them figure out what you haven't packed and then take that only.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

This is the multi tool I just bought.
      $3.99 with $5.99 shipping from a E-Bay seller.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Actually very heavy duty.
      I was thinking it would be wimpy and a last resort type of tool but at the starting price ok in a pinch.
      I may have a adjustable wrench with my shop tools but I never cared for them as my belief they are inferior and only the really big ones are worth the price.
      This seems to be a great addition to my bike pouch tools.
      Was not able to find the website on the web?
      Hope they did not go out of business replacing with Lifetime Warrenty

Any suggestions for a man on a budget?

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
        Pack whatever you want. Show it to a friend. Let them figure out what you haven't packed and then take that only.
        Is there a story behind that reply???

Comment

Haven't had to use it yet but it's in my tail bag when I travel........

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
            Is there a story behind that reply???
            Sure is. Whatever you pack, it will always be the thing you didn't that will be needed.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Now that looks real handy.

Cargol Turn and Go Bike world review link

Cargol Sportrider review

Website

Bikebiz for buyers in the states.
              Probably better deals to be had with more searching.

Found a few on E-Bay.
              Rather pricey with shipping but a great deal if you are flat on the side of road.
              Great post bccap!!!
              Last edited by Guest; 12-07-2014, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                Sure is. Whatever you pack, it will always be the thing you didn't that will be needed.
                You have that right!

Comment

If you are on a Suzuki I would suggest this lot:

The blue piece of carpet (I call it my prayer mat) is the most essential item as you will be spending time on your knees. A full "Rectifier Replacement Kit" is the next essential. Then pack anything else you can think of.

On my last trip to Europe (see my Rectifying an Electrical Problem in Italy Story Thread) 33% of my luggage was tools and spares. That was my left hand side soft pannier. That included oil, tools, parts and puncture repair. Don't forget those zip ties.

Greetings
                  Last edited by londonboards; 12-07-2014, 08:06 AM.
                  Richard
                  sigpic
                  GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                  GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                  Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Heres what resides in the under seat tool drawer. The hard to see items are a spare master link and a small box of fuses. I think I should take Richards advice and add a few basic wiring tools. Long trips will now include a plug kit after a recent flat far from home.
                    Still trying to get Mac Gyver's number for over the phone advice.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                      Still trying to get Mac Gyver's number for over the phone advice.
                      Yes - having the phone number of your mechanic / electrical mentor is priceless. Tatu and his contacts were an immense help and source of inspiration and comfort in my time of need - even though he was in Africa at the time.

I was also picked up on Facebook by a guy living close to me in the UK, who guided me home with really helpful directions and suggestions, when I was making my way back home on my own without my group. That made a huge difference.

Richard
                      sigpic
                      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I really like the mat idea.
                        Wish I had one while taking off the left hand electrical controls for the first time when the small parts scattered in the grass I pushed the bike on to get off the road.
                        Not something I would carry all the time but would find many uses on a road trip I am sure.

Let me add a light you can strap on your head to the list.

Comment

Richard, your point is well taken and a good one. Mine was Sunday morning jest. MacGyver was a television series in the states, where if believed, the star could fix ANYTHING with items on hand and found nearby. If he was with you when your rectifier failed he would have fixed it with parts in his pocket and any nearby electrical appliance, and rewound your stator if necessary..........
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Right, never forget the light....I have a strange love for my AA led Maglites. Always with me at work, and one always goes on cycle trips as well. I havent yet fully embraced the headlamp. Especially not when working in offices that may contain attractive types.......
                            sigpic

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Add in some disposable vinyl gloves so you don't but mucky fingers in your riding gloves.

Comment

Working...
                              X