No announcement yet.

Mags to Spokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, the rear axle on a GS750 spoke wheel is 20mm.

Comment

Was on my GT380 going around 55mph. Went under a bridge being repaired & picked up a nail in the rear tire. Had stock spoked wheels & went totally flat in something like 1k ft.

Had a similarly sized nail in the rear tire on my CB650, which had stock mag wheels. Noticed the tire was a bit low. Was able to add air & ride it to the bike shop to get patched. Don't know how long the nail was in the tire.

Just a bit interesting…
      Some of the GS guys are converting from mags to spoked & some of the Suzuki two-stroke guys are converting from spoked to mags.

This is a pic of my two GT750s, one with stock spoked wheels & the other with GS-series mags.

Comment

TWO GT750's? Not fair...I want one.
        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
          Why??????????????????? Never had a mag wheel break, many a spokes though.
          Don't do a mod because things might break? Hmmm.

One reason might be that some find those early Suzuki mags less than attractive and find wire spokes to be closer to what a bike should look like.

Comment

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
            Spokes mean tubed tires and I'll pass on those all day long-
            Bust a tube at highway speeds and your not going to end well- a tubeless will leak down slow enough to get off the road. My experience.
            I rode a few bikes with ABS and liked the confidence building ability it gave the bikes. Didn't stop riding non ABS bikes though.

Technically advanced bikes are great. Bikes with carbs, points and tubes are still fun...

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
              With spoked wheels you can lace up wider rims. I have 2 sets. 1 with a 18'' front. Turns a little quicker, no clearance issues.
              May I ask what it cost to lace up a set of wider rims? And also do you know who still does this kind of job?

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                You have to like Cleaning though...
                So true...

Comment

joe, that kat is fricking beee-yoo-ti-ful. love the spokes on those kats.
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Keeping spokes clean is a time consuming job, but when they are clean and polished they look awesome! I've used "Woodys Wheel Works" in the past. He taught me how to lace wheels. Great guy.
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
                      May I ask what it cost to lace up a set of wider rims? And also do you know who still does this kind of job?
                      The last time I one done the lacing was $75 and the Buchanon spokes were $75. Both have increased

Rims? you can spend $500/ea to get wider rims. Cheaper alternatives area available, but it's not cheap

The whole job, 2 wheels, new rims and spokes, lacing - start at $800

There's a couple of people locally who lace wheels
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post

Comment

Lacing wheels isn't usually a hard thing to do yourself IMO, but it is time consuming. They can only lace up one way correctly (if you do it incorrectly, you'll know long before you finish). I think the last wheel I laced and trued took about 3 hours or so with no breaks?

Comment

Working...
                          X