Any experience with Dunlop D404?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    Brian...funny that i saw the IRC Durotour on that list. I was pondering tires a few weeks ago for the Skunk and i chose those for it. Seems to be a good tires so far..but yet here in Oklahoma there arent too many twisties to punish them on.
    Well, go hammer the snot out of them for a while (make sure you work in a blizzard or at least a few thunderstorms) and give us a report!

It's for SCIENCE!

I've installed these, but I haven't ridden hard on them. Fine tire, and some very useful oddball sizes are available, but they are an older design.

In my experience, the biggest difference between the older designs and the newer ones (and by "design" I mean tire construction, not the tread pattern) is that the newer tires retain far more consistent handling as they wear. They feel much the same, and you don't see nearly as much scalloping up front and uneven wear out back. For the most part, tires all start off sticky and feeling good.
    Last edited by bwringer; 03-18-2014, 12:16 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Iv just a few days ago removed a 404 from the rear of my GS1100L, it had only been touring, always with 2 up and was down to the limit at 7000 miles, no issues during this time with grip, wet or dry, or with pressures

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        To the OP: you'll be fine. Enjoy.

To everyone else: I am a large galoot, I ride very hard, and I tend to get much worse mileage out of tires. Just to show you the variation between riders, I wore out a set of 404s on my 850G in 3,600 miles, and they turned just plain evil during the last 800 or so. The Dunlop 404's short but glorious time in service included a summer trip to the mountain twisties of North Carolina -- 2,500 miles total, including many miles of very hard riding on very abrasive twisty mountain roads. When reasonably fresh, they stuck to the road quite well in wet and dry conditions and handled nicelyl. They were particularly good in the wet, thanks to a soft, sticky compound and lightweight carcass.

Again, normal people will get far better mileage than I did, and most riders will be very happy with these tires. They're a good choice for a lot of people; that said, they weren't the best choice for me.

If you are one of those rare demented types who enjoy exploring the outer limits of shaftie handling on a regular basis, there are choices that hold up better to this type of abuse, such as the Avon AM26 RoadRider (my fave) or the Pirelli Sport Demon (short lived, but probably a few percent stickier).

There are lots of excellent, modern design tires on the market nowadays for our bikes:
        Avon AM26 RoadRider - $$
        Pirelli Sport Demon - $$$
        Shinko 230 - $
        Shinko 712 (no 17" rears) - $
        Bridgestone BT45 - $$
        Continental Go - $$$
        Michelin Pilot Activ - $$$
        Dunlop E3 (No 17" rears) - $$$
        Dunlop 404 (traditional Dunlop tread pattern on a somewhat more modern carcass; can be short-lived) - $$

There are also some still on the market that are rather old designs; there are much better choices now, even if some of these names are fondly remembered:
        IRC Durotour
        Bridgestone Spitfire
        Avon RoadRunner
        Dunlop Arrowmax GT501
        Dunlop 491 (no 17" rears; replaced by the E3)
        Metzeler Lasertec, ME88, ME77, etc.

Not recommended -- reports of problems:
        Kenda K657 Sport Challenger
        Duro
        Several older Dunlop models; many still available, but performance is poor
        Several older/OEM Bridgestone models; many still available, but performance is poor

No longer available:
        Cheng Shin <== used to make a great budget tire -- look at the Shinko 230 if you need to save a few bux
        Continental Milestone
        Tire time for me too. My current skins are by Duro and I'm not entirely pleased with them. I have limited exposure to different brands, I used Maxxis for pretty much the entire time they made streetbike tires and never had a reason to try anything else. They were very affordable, had decent wear, and absolutely never felt like they lacked grip.

I'm not really a fast or aggressive rider, but the Duro rear has felt jittery when I ride enthusiastically. On a couple of sharpies recently the rear stepped out noticeably... not a nice feeling. Front has been fine, and handles hard braking without complaint. Wear doesn't seem great either but my co-pilot is a frequent flier and he chews up tires almost as fast as he chews up groceries. He does plant that rear tire to the pavement when he's on though!

Thinking about trying the Battleaxe out, for only about $10 more over a Duro it sure seems worth a shot.
        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt View Post
          Just purchased these tires for my 81 850G I hope i made the right choice. It was kind of overwhelming.
          Put a set on my 550 last year.

No complaints. Not a sticky tire, but good durability.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
            I have limited exposure to different brands, I used Maxxis for pretty much the entire time they made streetbike tires and never had a reason to try anything else.
            Which Maxxis did you use?

I was wondering if the Maxxis Hi Max was the same as the old Chen Sheng Hi Max everyone loved?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've been trying to remember. I thought it was Promaxx but could be wrong. There was a sportbike oriented tire, (Sportmax?) which is not what I had.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Which Maxxis did you use?

I was wondering if the Maxxis Hi Max was the same as the old Chen Sheng Hi Max everyone loved?
                They look the same tread pattern anyway.

The Hi-Maxes were ok, but there are now tires similarly priced that offer better performance than the Cheng Shins did.
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I took a ganderizer on google and they were definitely Promax tires that I used to get. No mistaking that tread pattern. Sportmax was the sportier tire. How Ironic. I've never tried the Himax.
                  Last edited by Allie; 05-31-2014, 11:47 AM.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I've run Dunlops exclusively since I've had my bike, Qualifier 491s and the 404s, no issues with any of them.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                    X