fork seal replacement, again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork seal replacement, again!

Last summer, I replaced a leaking fork seal on my GK. I got the seals from Z1, not OEM. This spring, the same seal is leaking again.
    On a GK, this is a real problem because of the air forks.
    I was offering about any collective fork seal wisdom on the forum, & about getting one of those fork seal "picks" that make sure the seal isn't folded over or crudded up.
    My tubes a nice & smooth, not rusted or pitted at all.
    What's the guidance on this?

Are you sure you put the seal in the right side up?
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by LarryJ View Post
      Last summer, I replaced a leaking fork seal on my GK. I got the seals from Z1, not OEM. This spring, the same seal is leaking again.
      On a GK, this is a real problem because of the air forks.
      I was offering about any collective fork seal wisdom on the forum, & about getting one of those fork seal "picks" that make sure the seal isn't folded over or crudded up.
      My tubes a nice & smooth, not rusted or pitted at all.
      What's the guidance on this?
      You might double check the fork tubes with a magnifying glass, the tiny pits can be hard to see. In any case, it can't hurt to lightly buff them with extra fine steel wool.
      Better springs that let you run zero psi will help too, and not just with the leaking.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
        You might double check the fork tubes with a magnifying glass, the tiny pits can be hard to see. In any case, it can't hurt to lightly buff them with extra fine steel wool.
        Better springs that let you run zero psi will help too, and not just with the leaking.
        Sorry to be off topic BUT...hey Rich! Didn't realize you were on GSR. I've been reading your posts relating to suspension tuning on svrider. Great stuff and you are very knowledgable about "how to" tune your suspension.
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
          Sorry to be off topic BUT...hey Rich! Didn't realize you were on GSR. I've been reading your posts relating to suspension tuning on svrider. Great stuff and you are very knowledgable about "how to" tune your suspension.
          Got a link?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Got a link?
            Here's one to begin with: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252361
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

I just ordered an OEM fork seal & a set of Progressive springs from BikeBandit. Hopefully, this seal will seat in well.

Comment

If the fork bushes are worn, the fork stanchion can slop about inside the fork lower which can stretch / elongate / ruin the fork seal.

If the same fork leg keeps blowing seals and there's no pitting on the chrome I would look at replacing the bushes as well.
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I just ordered an OEM fork seal & a set of Progressive springs from BikeBandit. Hopefully, this seal will seat in well.
                  Subbed

I've been looking at the same so let us know how it works out, please

Comment

I'm pulling the leg today to replace the seal. Then, I'll put in the Progressives & change out the fork oil. I'll probably finish it up on Wednesday, when I'm off again. I am looking forward to a tighter front end &, hopefully, no more fork leak!

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                      If the fork bushes are worn, the fork stanchion can slop about inside the fork lower which can stretch / elongate / ruin the fork seal.

If the same fork leg keeps blowing seals and there's no pitting on the chrome I would look at replacing the bushes as well.
                      Yyyyyyup.

Check the bushings while you're in there.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The fork seal pick didn't help?

50 50 chance from what I've seen.

Comment

I just ordered an OEM fork seal & a set of Progressive springs from BikeBandit.
                          I tell ya, that take a LOT of gall.

Rich Desmond offers you some help, and you order springs from his competitor.

Note Rich's signature, there is a link to Sonic Springs. Yep, Rich is the owner.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

He also sells better springs at a lower price.

Comment

Working...
                            X