No announcement yet.

Lost my brakes in the rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are tests, and just tests, i.e. FMVSS 105, 121, 122, 135, etc. They are not true real world situations and never will be. But they are designed around worst case beliefs based on current tests and practices. Not defending them as I've a history complaining about some of the methods NTHSA has set up.

Comment

I don't believe I've anywhere said they are supposed to 'suck', whatever that means. I did try to google 'GS sucks wet performance' and similar to yourself found little to support my case but lots of other racy stuff.
      I think it irresponsible to let someone ride off into the rain thinking he's fixed a problem when you have direct personal experience, backed up by contemporary research that his problem may be something other than the majority opinion and that pad material could solve it and restore his brakes to a 'nonsucking' condition. Is that the right term? "
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        I don't have a clue what's wrong with the OP's brakes. Probably they haven't been opened up and cleaned out in 35 years, pads are contaminated, lines are shot, seals are hardened and cracked, just generally messed up brakes which happens with decades of neglect.
        Just to bring you up to speed, this is what the OP told us way back at the start of this;

"Actually I rebuilt the brakes earlier this year right before I got the bike back on the road. New pads, new pistons and seals in the calipers and new SS lines front and back and I disassembled and cleaned the master cylinders."
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          I don't believe I've anywhere said they are supposed to 'suck', whatever that means.
          NO, not you. The other guy was saying that they are Death on Wheels, that it would take five times the usual stopping distance in rain, and he was lucky to have survived riding in wet conditions, all kinds of dramatic and false bullsh:t, and implying that not being able to stop in rain is normal for the early GSes. The rest of us on this forum mostly have said we had no such braking problems.

Really irresponsible thing to post when we have lots newbys trying to decide if they should fix their unmaintained and non functional brakes or just keep riding with them as they are.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            Just to bring you up to speed, this is what the OP told us way back at the start of this;

"Actually I rebuilt the brakes earlier this year right before I got the bike back on the road. New pads, new pistons and seals in the calipers and new SS lines front and back and I disassembled and cleaned the master cylinders."
            Well whatever he did, he did some part of it wrong if it caused him to fall down riding around in his neighborhood. Brake fluid coming out? That's not supposed to happen.

Comment

Anyone who tailgates in the rain on a motorcycle is a fool, plain and simple.
              Agreed.

Tailgating when its dry isn't too smart either.
              The Fifth Gear TV show has a bike vs. car brake test at around 3:30 sec in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xckqNulY10o

Back in the day there were plenty of articles complaining about wet disk brake performance on the Suzuki GT-series two strokes. Had a GT380 back then. Subsequently had a Honda CB650SC, and if my memory is correct the wet disk brake performance was much improved over the GT380.

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
                Agreed.

Tailgating when its dry isn't too smart either.
                The Fifth Gear TV show has a bike vs. car brake test at around 3:30 sec in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xckqNulY10o
                A lot if riders think they can stop quicker, becuse of the forces on the body, it feels like it. It just ain't so. My mom thought her Jeep braked better than my 535i for the same reason. It pitches down so hard it really felt like you were stopping. We went out and had a stopping contest, we drove side by side, about 70 or so mph. She slammed on the brakes first, I braked when I saw her brake, she went twice as far.

Interesting stuff.

Comment

A lot if riders think they can stop quicker, becuse of the forces on the body, it feels like it. It just ain't so. My mom thought her Jeep braked better than my 535i for the same reason. It pitches down so hard it really felt like you were stopping. We went out and had a stopping contest, we drove side by side, about 70 or so mph. She slammed on the brakes first, I braked when I saw her brake, she went twice as far.

Interesting stuff.
                  I think the only way to out brake a car with a bike is to have soft compound, race type tires and absolutely no anti lock brake system.
                  On the average, you probably will not be able to out brake a car. A pick up truck with hard rubber truck tires and all terrain tread, yes you can.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                    I think the only way to out brake a car with a bike is to have soft compound, race type tires and absolutely no anti lock brake system.
                    On the average, you probably will not be able to out brake a car. A pick up truck with hard rubber truck tires and all terrain tread, yes you can.
                    Possibly for a normal car with cheap brakes. Outbraking a BMW with an M in the model name is another thing altogether.

It just isn't going to happen.

Comment

Possibly for a normal car with cheap brakes. Outbraking a BMW with an M in the model name is another thing altogether.

It just isn't going to happen.
                      The common econo box, you have a shot.
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                        The common econo box, you have a shot.
                        The brakes alone on an M cost more than the common econobox.

If you stomp on them it feels like a car wreck. Bruises from the shoulder straps and everything. Amazing brakes.

The engines in some of them are pretty cool too. And the cornering, incredible.

Comment

Back to the rain deal... I buy the cheap brake pads and I don't remember having a problem. I worry more about hydroplaning or falling down in the turns.

Comment

I don't have a clue what's wrong with the OP's brakes. Probably they haven't been opened up and cleaned out in 35 years, pads are contaminated, lines are shot, seals are hardened and cracked, just generally messed up brakes which happens with decades of neglect.

Whatever caused his problem, it is NOT normal operation for early GS brakes.
                            To say it is normal, that they are supposed to suck is completely irresponsible.
                            He said he went thru them.And they are not supposed to suck,but they did,you are supposed to fix them.

Comment

You don't have to ride if it scares you.
                              Hell,it doesn't scare me. Riding my Sportsters you might as well have been in the rain all the time!

Comment

Originally posted by Dj66 View Post
                                He said he went thru them.And they are not supposed to suck,but they did,you are supposed to fix them.
                                If brake fluid comes out they aren't very fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                X