No announcement yet.

Rear Wheel Removal - Final Drive Unit - Hub/Spine Greasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reassembly went well. All back together and riding nicely. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Good to hear, just noticed this thread - thanks growler, bwringer and all in this post. I need to pull apart mine and inspect/likely replace.

Just got my Bel-Ray waterproof grease tub from Z1, need to get some moly 60 from Amazon or even the 77 now that I know that will suffice. The 60 is hard to find and not cheap!
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

I would have no hesitation about putting a used unworn black spline on my bike - all of mine are black and they've done ferocious mileage with little discernible wear. In fact, the only worn spline in my workshop came attached to a Cavalcade wheel - it was a gold one (or perhaps dirty silver). I don't know if the PO had replaced it with a soft one at some point or whether it's a factory original.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

20160123_065205.jpgbwringer comes through with the good intel again. Thank You sir.

I had planned ride this week to Clearwater with my dirt bike riding buddy taking my GS. Pulled the rear wheel to get new rubber put on it and found out why the rear has felt sloppy lately. Its not just the worn tire! Gold spline was not far from completely spinning.

Used a great list of alternate late model Suzukis which use the same (superseded) part ( http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oe...er=64680-45113 ). Searched those different models on ebay and got one off a 2008 VL800 coming this way for $27.

GSR Rules!!!

Comment

That beats $179.99 for a new one any day! I'll be doing the same soon, thanks for the current list.
            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
              That beats $179.99 for a new one any day! I'll be doing the same soon, thanks for the current list.
              I'm still seeing about $140 for these driven spline units. If you're being quoted $180, shop elsewhere.

This is a local dealer to me I use quite often -- you may be able to find slightly better pricing on this part if you poke around, but watch shipping costs.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks Brian! The $180 I was referring to was from the link he provided, I'll be buying used.

My my 82 gold one has ~50K+ miles on it but is showing some wear, think I'll keep an eye out for a used black one from the models that list has on it from eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
                  Thanks Brian! The $180 I was referring to was from the link he provided, I'll be buying used.

My my 82 gold one has ~50K+ miles on it but is showing some wear, think I'll keep an eye out for a used black one from the models that list has on it from eBay.
                  Might want to hurry that up if you can. Wear on these driven splines is not linear -- it's a surface-hardened part, and ANY visible wear means the spline should be replaced ASAP.

Also, you've already gotten roughly twice the mileage most people get out of one of the soft splines.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                  X