GS1000S head bearing washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000S head bearing washer

About to fit new steering head bearings and have a question I hope soneone can help with.
    The new bearing comes with a dust cover for the lower stem bearing but fiche only shows a steel washer. Should I fit the new dust seal instead of or as well as the original washer?
    Cheers
    Andy

Andy

Welcome to GSR - be sure to check out the links in my signature below for the UK GS Facebook Group.

Fit the washer and it's up to you whether to fit the lower dust seal. In any case the lower dust seal should not protrude further than the outer race of the bearing. So in other words, fitting the dust seal doesn't make the bearing fatter and therefore it will not alter how the stem and head stock fit together.

Try it out both ways and see if the top of the stem sticks out higher from the headstock when assembled with and without the lower dust seal.

On mine, I left out the lower dust seal, as I figured the washer is probably doing that job but I did put the one on the top bearing.

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Thanks (belatedly) Richard,
      I had a good look and ended up fitting the washer and the dust seal and seems fine.
      Haven't ever been on FB but will try and get a chance to see what it's all about!
      Cheers,
      Andy

Comment

Working...
      X