83 GS 1100 E Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS 1100 E Tires

I'm ready to spring for some new tires. I don't ride a lot so mileage is not that important. I want some V rated tires that are sticky and have good rain characteristics. I don't feel a need to change to a fatter tire unless it would improve handling.
    What do you recommend?
    Thank You!

Avon Roadriders. 100/90-19 front and 130/90-17 rear. American Moto Tire is a good source if you are able to change them yourself.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Agreed. The Avons are fantastic.

Pirelli Sport Demons are also very nice and sticky, but somewhat shorter-lived.

Another good choice is the Shinko 230; a screaming bargain from Korea. The 230s work great, but they last about half as long as the Avons.

If you haven't done so already, many folks with that bike convert to tubeless (yes, the original 1100E cast wheels do use tubes). If yours have not been converted already, or you're not 1,000% sure you want to convert to tubeless, then you'll also need to order up new tubes if they're more than a few years old.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Agreed. The Avons are fantastic.

Pirelli Sport Demons are also very nice and sticky, but somewhat shorter-lived.

Another good choice is the Shinko 230; a screaming bargain from Korea. The 230s work great, but they last about half as long as the Avons.

If you haven't done so already, many folks with that bike convert to tubeless (yes, the original 1100E cast wheels do use tubes). If yours have not been converted already, or you're not 1,000% sure you want to convert to tubeless, then you'll also need to order up new tubes if they're more than a few years old.
          I agree completely ....on my Cooley which I ride a lot I go with Avon Roadriders...but on my 750 which I don't ride that often I go with the sport demons....
          No signature

Comment

Another vote for the Pirelli sport demons here.
            Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Originally posted by bobtail84 View Post
              Another vote for the Pirelli sport demons here.
              Pirelli Sport demons here too!
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Dsordlyerc View Post
                What do you recommend?
                I'm running Shinko 230's on my 1100E. They work very well. The rear has worn out at ~9000km and a new one is going on if spring ever lands here. The Avon's are great tires, but I chose the Shinko's because they cost ~1/2 the Avon's and last ~1/2 the mileage, meaning I get to put fresh tires on sooner with the Shinko's for approximately the same cost per mile. I figured new Shinko's beat old Avon's most any day.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by Dsordlyerc View Post
                  I don't feel a need to change to a fatter tire unless it would improve handling.
                  What do you recommend?
                  Personally, I recommend that you maintain that attitude.

The fatter tire needs a wider rim to properly support it. If you squeeze it onto a narrower rim, it gets pinched into a tighter radius, putting less rubber on the road.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I got Pirelli sport demons on all 3 of my bikes

Comment

Working...
                    X