No announcement yet.

Yoshimura GSX1135R (EFE) Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep 'em coming Mindless. Very unique build!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post
      The underseat was actually a sort of compromize in the beginning (had it mocked up with a different can) because the swingarm was so wide and because I had moved the rearsets so I couldn't find a good spot to run the exhaust. But the idea of a underseat exhaust grew on me and so I bought this Yoshimura can.

And yes - this is my first build.

Well, technically it's my second. I helped build my dads bike last winter (truth be told, I assembled most of it ).

Very nice! What fairing is that?
      2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
      1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
      2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
      s)

Comment

Actually it's a XJR1300, but it looks pretty much same as the 1200.

Did the final work on one of the swingarm extensions last night. Smoothed off some sharp edges with the router and cut the rear ends at a 45-degree angle.

Only subtle changes but I think it looks completely different now.
        I'm just sitting back speachless and watching in awe. Great job.

If u think of it could you take a pic of the extension before it is welded and how it fits to the swinger.

What swing arm are we looking at? Looks like you cut off a portion of the old swing arm. It looks beveled so you just planning on welding there at the interface?

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
          Very nice! What fairing is that?
          It's a slightly modified Yamaha RD350 fairing.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          I'm just sitting back speachless and watching in awe. Great job.

If u think of it could you take a pic of the extension before it is welded and how it fits to the swinger.

What swing arm are we looking at? Looks like you cut off a portion of the old swing arm. It looks beveled so you just planning on welding there at the interface?
          Thanks.

The swingarm is from my dads XJR1300 (we replaced his with one from a R1) which I've cut off the original adjuster blocks from and had a set of extended ones made.

And you are correct - the weld is supposed to be in the groove.

I'll be sure to get some photos off it when it goes off to welding. Should be this week hopefully.

Comment

It's a slightly modified Yamaha RD350 fairing.
            Looks great! Thanks!
            2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
            1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
            2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
            s)

Comment

On the suggestion from a fellow GSX-owner on another forum I decided to slice out some holes in the rear break caliper mount. I'm kind of surprised how easily the router works through the aluminium and with great results.

Looks much lighter and clean now.

Here's a little shot for you posplayr. This is how the drag slots / extensions fit into the swingarm.

Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2009, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Great stuff Victor,

How close was the width of the swing arm at the pivot compared to the 1150 frame? Sorry if its already been mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                  Great stuff Victor,

How close was the width of the swing arm at the pivot compared to the 1150 frame? Sorry if its already been mentioned.
                  Close? How far off you mean?

I think I've shaved off 11mm on either side of the swingarm pivot. The 1150 is 236mm and the XJR was 258mm. So it required quite a bit of machining to fit.

Comment

Thanks for the dimensions. I am slowing putting pieces together for a Z1 Kawasaki build. Was considering a Gen 1 FZ1 swingarm, wheels, brakes and forks but I also have a spare Bandit and a spare GS swing arm as fall backs.

Comment

This is to cool! Great to see some oldskool stuff here, I still think there needs to be a thread catagory specific to builds on this forum.
                      Your sceen name certainly doesn't reflect your skills. Super work!

Comment

Got the swingarm welded up today by a guy I know. He's not as good as a professional frame- or swingarm welder but it's good enough for me. Not to mention - did it for free.

Oh, and prior to welding I shotblasted the whole swingarm with aluminium oxide to get rid of the anodizing. That's what gives it the unusual finish.

Decided to slap on the front wheel as well to get a better idea of the ride height. It's gonna be tight - 140mm without the engine, fluids and driver. Gonna have to make some fork-extensions in order to fix that issue. 55mm longer forks should do the trick.

Also tried fitting a wind shield I had lying around in the garage. Fits pretty well I think, different color and a bit tighter with the headlight and it should be spot on.

Wont be much more progress this weekend I think. May fabricate a swingarm tube (for the bearings to roll against) depending on how much spare time I have. An update will probably have to wait until early next week though.

Comment

Looking sharp; I'm not sure I would have said your freind was not the greatest welder. Looks good to me

Anyway I'm planning on using a slighly larger fairing for my GSXR. Here are some pics. The Ducati headlamps are not quite as big, so some trimming will be required. I will extend the carbon portion to bound to teh headlamp bolt and the upper triple clamp.

Naked is nice, but the buffeting of your helmet gets old quick and at 100+ down right dangerous.

Originally posted by posplayr
                          Here is the way i think I'm gonna go.
                          Carbon off a Monster Ducati.

Pos

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            Looking sharp; I'm not sure I would have said your freind was not the greatest welder. Looks good to me

Anyway I'm planning on using a slighly larger fairing for my GSXR. Here are some pics. The Ducati headlamps are not quite as big, so some trimming will be required. I will extend the carbon portion to bound to teh headlamp bolt and the upper triple clamp.

Naked is nice, but the buffeting of your helmet gets old quick and at 100+ down right dangerous.
                            As I said - he's good enough.

That fairing you posted looked pretty nice. I debated for a while if I was going to use one or not and came to the conclusion that I should. Because as you say, doing anything close to 100mph is almost dangerous without one. I typically don't ride at those speeds but when I do, I don't want to be blown off by the wind.

Comment

looking good! I welded on an adjustable spacer to lower or raise the shocks and seat height. See pic mor ein my profile pic album if needed.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Mindless, looking good. Keep the pics coming.

Comment

Working...
                                X