what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hooptie View Post
    What are the odds the 15 tooth stock sprocket from the vz800 would bolt onto the GS? Its in fine shape, just too short geared.
    According to JT Sprockets they both have the same spline.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I looked at bike bandit and they a bunch of random conversion numbers and whatnot.

Good to know. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Hooptie View Post
        I looked at bike bandit and they a bunch of random conversion numbers and whatnot.

Good to know. Thanks!
        The JT Sprockets site is an excellent source of info on sprocket sizes and spline details.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Welp. I put the 17 tooth on the VZ. Good lord is that bike happier on the highway. The 15 tooth sprocket from that went onto the GS in place of a 13 toother. Haven't been on the highway yet, but i would guess 65-70 will be around 5500rpm. Much happier!

Update on the regear. 60mph = 4800rpm, 65mph = 5100rpm, 70mph = 5400rpm. All roughly of course. Now to figure out what feels like a weird vacuum/fuel issue or a float level issue.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2014, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Not a bike or bike-related, but bringing a Nilfisk back from the brink of hell.
            I've owned a Nilfisk for decades, but after re-furbishing that one, fancied getting another one to have a go at, and here it is.

It was utterly beat when I got it, but a good disinfect and clean and it's working well. It's now too good to use in the workshop, so this will do downstairs in the kitchen/lounge.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Put my new rotor (NOS from the Netherlands) my new stator (OK, used but mint) my new flywheel cover and emblem (from Bike Bandit) on my '82 Katana and she fired up beautifully. took a 50K ride and all is well.

Near disaster averted. The bike had been sitting for a week with the oil drained and I was just ready to pour in the first quart when I thought: "Hmmm... did I tighten the oil drain plug?" Sure enough it was finger tight.

We're having a warm spell here in Winnipeg and loving the nice fall rides!

Wayne

Comment

Removed the luggage rack off the back end of the GS1100... Removed the handlebars... Ordered a set of Sportbike bars and bar end mirrors. Should have them in early next week.

Comment

Finished the swivel base and made half the wall bracket for the 3G antenna mast, today.
                  Vaguely related to GSR, because without this, I'd be unable to share my wit and wisdom with you lot, and vice versa.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

tore apart my pickups front diff. outer pinion bearing completely locked up. friend opted to drink cheap beer that day, the beast is not for me. got it back together now, feels like the clutches in the t-case might have suffered some injury from when this happened. wheels completely locked up at about 35-40 last winter.

Comment

Jennifer, fitted new clutch and brake levers, put the loaner gauges from a friend on to finally sync the carbs, to my surprise, found no sync required, my bench sync was pretty spot on, with only number one cylinder pulling very slightly more vacuum than the other three, so small that messing with the screw and lock nut would have thrown it further off, so set the mixture screws and called it done.
                      Will see how she runs on the ride to breakfast at the Classic Motorcycle Club, tomorrow.

Comment

Changed the front tyre on Nancy. Put a trailer hitch on the Edge. Just finished cutting the hole for it in the rear cover.

Stan kept me company while I was changing the tyre.

Last edited by rustybronco; 11-03-2014, 03:31 PM.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Work van. The blower motor stopped just in time for the cold. After removing the battery, battery tray, and removing the a/c reciever bolts to move it out of the way, I pulled the motor. To my surprise its a brush type motor. One brush was worn significantly more then the other, they wouldn't slide in the holder, and the armature was blackened. I cleaned up the armature, cleaned the brush holders and brushes so they slide, and reassembled. Imagine my disappointment when I plugged it in and it didn't work, then my excitement when I realized the battery wasnt in. Duh. It works with power.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Had some time the last few days to get into the EFE a bit. Managed to get it stripped down to see what I actually have and it really looks pretty good once you past 30 thirty years of grime. The previous owner did keep it in good shape with proper maintenance however the parts that lived behind a full fairing for that length of time get pretty grungy. Even after using gunk and a pressure washer earlier on they still didn't look pretty. So today I managed to tackle the engine and few other parts with different cleaners and brushes and it will actually polish up pretty good when I'm done. The advantage of the engine being behind the fairing is that the paint other than having a lot of dirt baked on it is not all chipped up. It still even has the legible factory number tags on the spark plug wires.

Partially stripped bike.

Dirty side still to be cleaned.

Cleaned up a bit side.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Sandy, she sure cleans up nice.

Comment

Flushed the engine on the Goldwing and put in new anti freeze. Did the timing belts also. Then decided to recheck the carb sync and tweeked that just a tad better. Shes good to go now.
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X