X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014-09-06 12.49.05.jpg

Been getting closer.

Comment

I worked on my 850 yesterday in preparation for my trip to Colorado. I changed all the oils, visually inspected everything. I wired up a dual 12 volt outlet for my GPS and phone. I mounted it under the seat where the tool tray went. Then ran the GPS wire under the tank up to the handle bars. I also wired the plug for my Gerbings jacket. I checked the battery voltage with the jacket plugged in. I maintained 12.7 volts at about 3000 rpm. Hopefully I won't need it, but if do I'll have it. The tire I ordered should be here today or tomorrow. I'll get that mounted and should be ready to go.
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Did a little light work tonight pun intended lol.

Comment

I pulled all the PAIR valve set up off my VZ800.

The GS? Wishing I was putting miles on it. Hopefully this weekend.

Comment

Sexy rear End.
            I'm finally getting the back end of the 850G sorted.
            I'll pull out the lathe and run up some stainless thicker than normal washers for the rear shock bolts, and install the rechromed grab handle this weekend. Then I can concentrate on the front end brakes, instruments and headlight.
            The motor is getting rebuilt, and the bike should be back on the road for the Aussie summer.
            (not my fault the photo loaded upside down)
            Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2014, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Valve adjustment and head bolt tightening done today leaving the carb sync to do tomorrow after I button it back up. All of the measurements are where I left them when I buttoned everything up last year. Spark plugs are a light charcoal grey so I think I'm running a bit lean and will try to re-adjust the mixture screws tomorrow.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yesterday pulled bevel gears from 850 parts bike, member on here needs them. First time doing that and not fun! Got side one out fairly easily, but had to split case a little to get rear one out! But did get them out with no damage! terrylee

Comment

Got the engine cases powder coated and polished the clutch clover and put it back on with new OEM gaskets and a stainless steel Allen head bolt kit from Z1 on:

Attached Files
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------
                  2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Painted and installed the Telefix fork brace I scored from VMass. I used gloss black VHT epoxy and let it bake in the sun for a couple of hours. Damned things got pretty hot. Anyway they cured very nicely.

Installation was a snap and it looks great. I have one on my 1000ST and I swear by it.

Comment

Well the rally is over, house is back to normal and not much paid work today. I went and checked the mail and my new Robert Barr orings were here. So after lunch got busy on the 750EFE and did the carbs which were already clean and off the bike. Did about a hour bench test for leaks using my 1000 gas tank on prime for about an hour while I did some other stuff. Before I installed them I cleaned 30 years of grime and crud from all the areas accessible below the carbs and around and under the airbox. Put in a new battery, gas in my new tank and checked it for any leaks. All was OK. Installed everything else that was off and it fired right up. Did a complete warmup and the motor is quiet, smooth and purrs like kitten. Not bad considering it sat for 17 years.
                      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

My 1995 Mazda has 248,000 miles on it. Last week it began running really rough, low power, high fuel consumption. I suspected ignition, and pulled the spark plugs sequentially while the engine was cold. No difference that I could detect. Yesterday I changed the spark plug wires anyway. #2 boot was badly damaged. The car is now running great. $38.
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Not today, but recently.

Removed PAIR valve from the VZ800 and made block off plates.
                          Messed with homemade baffle caps on the VZs exhaust
                          Fixed an oil leak on the GS

Soon:
                          Just bought at 17 tooth front drive sprocket for the VZ to calm it down on the highway.

Question, anyone have experience putting a higher tooth coumt front on a 550ES? Stock is 14, the chain and rear are basically brand new and i'd love to knock about 500rpm off the GS for highway rides. As it sits, 65 is about 6k. 5500 is much less buzzy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooptie View Post
                            Question, anyone have experience putting a higher tooth count front on a 550ES?
                            Stock is 14, the chain and rear are basically brand new and i'd love to knock about 500rpm off the GS for highway rides.
                            As it sits, 65 is about 6k. 5500 is much less buzzy.
                            No personal experience with that particular model but I have added one tooth to all of my chain driven GS models. Yes, I recommend it.
                            Also, as your model has the twin carbs, increase the main jets for #1 & 4 to 97.5's and the mains for @ & 3 to 105's.
                            Both of those changes should make quite an improvement in ride-ability and smoothness.

Comment

Carbs have already been rejetted actually. It runs great, just a bit high strung at modern traffic speeds.

Comment

What are the odds the 15 tooth stock sprocket from the vz800 would bolt onto the GS? Its in fine shape, just too short geared.

Comment

Working...
                                X