No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent the morning sorting out a "terminal" engine noise on a little Honda 250 CBX, turned out to be an easy enough fix, broken spring in the timing chain retention.
    What a stupid ass setup, it uses a flat coiled spring like you find in a wind up toy or clock, to maintain tension on a threaded rod, for want of a better word to keep it pushed against the chain guide, a heck of a fiddly process to try and get together, like a bloody Chinese puzzle.
    But all is well and it is terrorizing the streets once again.
    Damn I love Suzuki.

Comment

Decided to build myself a motorcycle stand. One of my closest friends came up from Chicago and helped me out. Much easier to work on now, and easily wheeled around the garage. Cost was right around $100, with the most expensive part being the casters.

Comment

Very nice, Growler.
        Were you brave enough to ride it up the ramp?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'm re-forming filter capacitors in a guitar amp that I shelved about 6-7 years ago because it was getting noisy. It's a ~'65 Guild T-112, a neat little 12 watt tube amp with a 12" speaker. It's a great sounding amp, I'm hoping to get it up and running again.

Electrolytics tend to dry out and crystallize when they sit a long time, and applying full voltage right away can make them go BANG right in your (sometimes literally) face. They have to be brought up to speed slowly....

Checking leakage with resistance added between the rectifier and the filter to limit current

Checking capacitor charge

You use a Variac to keep the voltages from getting too high with all the power and preamp tubes pulled out. It's a loooong process, I started it yesterday afternoon, and you can't stop until it's all the way done. We're getting close now, going for that last 2%...

I've never done this before, but it's fun, I feel like a mad scientist. Just don't touch the wrong thing in there or you'll be a dead scientist...
          "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
            Decided to build myself a motorcycle stand. One of my closest friends came up from Chicago and helped me out. Much easier to work on now, and easily wheeled around the garage. Cost was right around $100, with the most expensive part being the casters.

That's a way totally awesome platform! You could have fun riding it down the street when not on garage duty too!
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Coil supply plugs. Spent part of last week swapping my 1&4 coil in and out of my son's KZ400 while waiting for a replacement for him. Yesterday I started losing a coil on top of the mountain. All the swapping had caused a wire to break on the 12v supply plug for the coil. I cut the plug open, soldered the wires in place and back over the mountain again today.
              Now I'm going to have to replace them both. Any recommendations anyone?
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Spent an hour yesterday making the rear rim axle spacers for my junker project.

Comment

Prepared the cases for my GS1150es engine rebuild. The crankshaft is being repaired (new bearing, new rods and balancing) and will be ready to put in soon.

Richard
                  sigpic
                  GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                  GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                  Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

After spending all day yesterday installing new equipment at our clinic in Lima OH, I fixed a radiator leak on the truck this morning (hose clamp wasn't tightened fully after the thermostat change); wishing the weather would settle down longer.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Heck no. I had a friend to do the steering and brake while I pushed it up the ramp. Then stood on a stool to get it up on the center stand while my friend steadied the bike on the other side. Worked out great!

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                      Very nice, Growler.
                      Were you brave enough to ride it up the ramp?

Comment

Hah! For sure. Although I'm in Milwaukee....the streets are janky enough to send me rocketing off the thing.

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                        That's a way totally awesome platform! You could have fun riding it down the street when not on garage duty too!

Comment

Installed a couple more shop lights in the shop.

V
                          Gustov
                          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                          80 GS 550 L
                          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Helped a friend pull the engine out of his Honda last night. CB750 bottom end with an 850 top half.

Learned his lesson on using cheap gaskets, head gasket went out within 500 miles on a fresh build.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                              ..., I fixed a radiator leak on the truck this morning (hose clamp wasn't tightened fully after the thermostat change); wishing the weather would settle down longer.
                              Uhhh, Cowboy, if the weather "settled down", it wouldn't be oHIo.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                Uhhh, Cowboy, if the weather "settled down", it wouldn't be oHIo.

Or Colorado, New Jersey, Indiana, etc.
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X