I got a side stand bracket that moves the stand rearward from the front engine-frame mount. Much better. It fits a ZX6R stand, so I bought one off eBay; the one that came had been shortened. It's close, but would need to be cut and re-welded to get the foot angle correct. I have a 2nd uncut Kawi stand, due to the first stand not being the one presented, so I'll use the 2nd one. It will be a fresh cut/weld and be cleaner. The bike now has an upgraded ignition system with a 200W (vs 80 or so) charging coil, and runs and charges perfectly with the SH775 from Ed. Not much to do but ride now; just the stand to fix & a front MC change. These bikes are very robust. It's broken in from its long slumber and not using oil or leaking, etc.
I am going to replace the Laverda's master cylinder with a smaller bore, from 5/8" to 9/16", as the feel is sudden and requires huge effort to pull. It is strong, but requires too much effort way at the end of the lever's travel. I found a Honda reproduction that matches the Brembo look and is 9/16", so here's hoping.
I read up on the bore size for the ' 83 GS1100E - it has CBR900RR calipers, and my research said 9/16" or 14mm was what Honda fitted. Well, it was terrible: spongy and long travel. My son did an AI search and told me a 5/8" was correct, so I got a Chinese 5/8" Suzuki GS style one for $18, and it is working great. All my bikes have a mix of brake parts, so it's all MC's all the time now.
The Norton N15CS's pads were retracting a lot, and lever travel before engagement was too much, so I took the disc off and put a thinner spacer between the pads, and squeezed, cleaned, and re-mounted the caliper. All good. So 2 of 3 done; just the Laverda left.
I may be able to make the original Brembo lever work with the CB750 MC on the Laverda, which will be nice. The lever pivot-to-piston contact is OK, but I have to doctor up the MC to give adjustment capability to the lever's throw. The Brembo has a little cam adjuster that is visible near the pivot, the Honda CB has one underneath. May be tricky. Even the Brembo MC cap fits tho (2nd pic).
I am going to replace the Laverda's master cylinder with a smaller bore, from 5/8" to 9/16", as the feel is sudden and requires huge effort to pull. It is strong, but requires too much effort way at the end of the lever's travel. I found a Honda reproduction that matches the Brembo look and is 9/16", so here's hoping.
I read up on the bore size for the ' 83 GS1100E - it has CBR900RR calipers, and my research said 9/16" or 14mm was what Honda fitted. Well, it was terrible: spongy and long travel. My son did an AI search and told me a 5/8" was correct, so I got a Chinese 5/8" Suzuki GS style one for $18, and it is working great. All my bikes have a mix of brake parts, so it's all MC's all the time now.
The Norton N15CS's pads were retracting a lot, and lever travel before engagement was too much, so I took the disc off and put a thinner spacer between the pads, and squeezed, cleaned, and re-mounted the caliper. All good. So 2 of 3 done; just the Laverda left.
I may be able to make the original Brembo lever work with the CB750 MC on the Laverda, which will be nice. The lever pivot-to-piston contact is OK, but I have to doctor up the MC to give adjustment capability to the lever's throw. The Brembo has a little cam adjuster that is visible near the pivot, the Honda CB has one underneath. May be tricky. Even the Brembo MC cap fits tho (2nd pic).
Last edited: