what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    Eric..the way that top snapped into chunks it wasnt goona be standing much longer on its own....good landing spot too.
    So if a tree falls and a GS owner is near by, can he hear it over the roar of the engine???
    LOL!

My Wife became possessed when I showed her the bow saw!
    She climbed up the ladder today and was hacking away at all the rest of the dead tree.
    We saved the last bit with signs of new growth to live one last year before I rip the trunk out
    of the ground next year and plant a replacement a bit further from the house.
    Only a complete idiot plants a willow tree next to a house!

Eric

Comment

Had a big low spot some distance from our house as kids. Would get 6 or 8 inches of standing water in a good rain and take many days to dry up. Dad planted a willow switch and that thing grew 3 Ft a year i swear. dried that low spot up real fast too!!!
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

We are lucky to even get 11 inches of rain (including snow melt) per year and some idiot plants a willow?

Eric

Comment

Up in northern MI we would get 20 to 25 inches annual rainfall or more as a norm
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post
            Did some general maintenance on my new bike which I picked up today. A Yamaha MT-01 from '07 with roughly 4500 miles on the clock.

Cleaned it up, lubed the chain. Gonna change oil and filters later.

Lovely bike to ride with that 1670cc grunt.
            Thats an impressive looking machine. Looks like a tank. I mean that in a good way too. Very cool. Its gotta sound mean as hell.

Comment

Gas-Gas 250 trials bike for a friend, spittiing coolant from overflow hose and knocking/noisy at low RPM.

Pulled head & cylinder (he had a replated cylinder w/new piston & rings) found the cylinder head "O" rings were anchored in place with contact cement which is a no-no for cylinder head combustion sealing "O" rings because the combustion pressure can channel past the cement.

Turning the crank made a grinding noise so flushed the bearings with motor oil until crankcase nearly full and spun crankshaft 20-30 times. Suctioned oil and found lots of silica sand. Nice!

Since the bike has not been out since the replate, which was due to a burned out cooling fan motor and bad rectifier regulator, over heating & seizure, the source of the sand was a question.

The air box mounts to the muffler by means of a plastic block which was supposed to be locked into the air box. The block had pulled out leaving a 3/8" x 1" open slot right in line with debris thrown from the tire.... The owner had attempted repair by gluing the block with RTV silicone which, of course, immediately pulled out and was not rechecked.

Cleaned intake, flushed crankcase with varsol & oil, followed by parts cleaner, and then gasoline & oil mix. Wash out with gasoline and blow dry, No more grinding although life of both bearings and piston/cylinder is reduced.

Many bolts not tightened but seized partially out leaving mounts loose so lots of removal and thread chasing/. Muffler lower mounting boss broken off and won't weld with my gear so off tomorrow to get TIG'ed.

Son working on a donated 1974 Honda 125 trials which turned out to have carb gummed up with lacquer/varnish from old fuel. Another carb left with fuel over the winter..... Some of the gum had to be scraped lose and dragged out but running now. He has a long list of things but looks like a fun little bike and good experience for a 16 year old.

Several outboard motors for friends lately and getting the motor home ready for some camping. Don't know how I coped before I retired!

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                ...Only a complete idiot plants a willow tree next to a house!

Eric
                My house came with three trees withint 15 feet of it. No problem 20 years ago. But now the trees are 50 years old. All hang over the roof. I need to do some severe pruning. My gutters clog often.
                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                  My house came with three trees withint 15 feet of it. No problem 20 years ago. But now the trees are 50 years old. All hang over the roof. I need to do some severe pruning. My gutters clog often.
                  The big problem with willow trees is that their root system is ravenous.
                  They shoot out in search of water and can destroy your foundation and invade your plumbing, internal and external.

Eric

Comment

I think I`d call that wrenchin. Kinda. I`d feel good if I were you. The house is still standing and that`s a good thing. Don`t think I`d take on something like that. But then again in a townhouse I shouldn`t have to.
                    Mike
                    Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                    Not quite wrenching but tools were involved.
                    A little preliminary work to get the tree to cooperate with the landing coordinates.

I wouldn't want this video to wind up on "America's Dumbest Parents Video's" on ABC TV.
                    (Watch in HD and full screen for the proper effect. )

Coonass tree falling...

Taking down the dead willow tree safely.Wait for the salute and the thumb up.

The aftermath showing the wedge that was removed and the weakening cut behind before ratcheting the tree down...

Almost perfectly dead center of the other two trees.

"I love it when a plan comes together" - George Pepard

Eric
                    sigpic1981 gs1000G Black
                    1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Comment

Got a call from Rob (AZR) to help him lift an engine out of the trunk of his car today. He went up Island to buy a parts bike 79 850 WITH the kickstart He brought the whole bike back in his Camry!! His driveway is lookin GOOD!! Poor Lisa. lol
                      No signature

Comment

Finished up the valves tonight, one was really tight and I had to go down two sizes to get to spec. Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my new gasket (and oil seal) from Boulevard Suzuki. Man, I wish they had an option for faster then ground shipping. I ordered on Sunday (May 6th) and it got shipped out on the 9th, but won't be here until 17th! . My Carbtune is supposed to get here all the way from the UK by then and I ordered them at the same time...

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                          He brought the whole bike back in his Camry!!
                          ...... but.... how???

Comment

Originally posted by jesustheplumber View Post
                            ...... but.... how???
                            I have no idea myself...

Do you have a great road adventure that you would like to share? How about a bike repair gone bad? Put your story here and share it with the rest of us.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by jesustheplumber View Post
                              ...... but.... how???
                              Well... he had the frame on his roof rack, the engine in the trunk, rear tire and front fork and tire in the back seat. And the rest of the parts spread around the car. Rob I think took the bike apart when he got there. This is not the first time he has brought back a bike in his camry. He has become quite efficiant at it.
                              No signature

Comment

Don`t know if you can call this wrenchin` but I did put some new bags on today. Gee honey. You want me to go to the store? OK. Heh Heh Heh!

[IMG]
                                sigpic1981 gs1000G Black
                                1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Comment

Working...
                                X