No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More than likely a carb mount o ring leak.
    V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
      More than likely a carb mount o ring leak.
      V
      Ok. I'll try tightening the clamps. I haven't shelled out for new rubber mounts yet. I'd rather not either. Budgets and all. Thanks ya much.

Comment

got this in the ground yesterday for a local hawk, assisting with the gopher & mice population

Comment

Took apart the forks as I had leaks on both and found out I installed both upside down - but at least they were the same. New seals were ordered Friday night from Z1 and will be here tomorrow so I'll be back on the road by Thursday.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

you have more control than I do, back then I would have went over the mountain n back again, stopped, collected and done it again, but that was years ago lol

Comment

Originally posted by StubbornDutchman View Post

Quick question. After about 10 mins of idle the RPM's start to slowly rise. Why is this? Small vacuum leak? Something I should adjust on the carbs?
              Because the engine got really really hot. Don't ever idle it for ten minutes, it's air cooled. Without a little bit of airflow it just gets hotter and hotter. As it gets hotter, the air going through the engine expands more, the oil gets thinner, so the idle speed goes up. Then it will go back down again as engine parts begin to melt.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The day before yesterday, I rode one of the 1100E's about 150 miles round trip to check out a basket case '78 750B with a burnt exhaust valve. (He had the cylinder head all apart with the damaged parts)
                Even with the incredibly high winds that would toss me around the road at random times, she managed to average just over 51 mpg and I never went under 75@ 4,200 rpm's.
                I had to pass several lines of slow moving campers and tractor trailers and effortlessly zipped over the ton a few dozen times. Whoops. (I DID have to pass them ALL before the passing lanes ended, right? )
                The original owner (purchased 2/78) wanted WAY more than it was worth and refused to drop his asking price.
                Today, he called me and decided to take my offer and will even deliver it this weekend.
                So, he is even going to save me the well over $60.00 in gasoline to get it! I guess that one of my basket case 1000 engines will be finding a new home as well as a second chance at life soon.
                And the GS750B will be wearing three disc's soon too!

Comment

Oh, love the smell of brake fluid in the morning.

Finally got the front brake resivour from the dealer today, he was actually waiting for three 2mm washers to show up, that didn't come from Melbourne, pfffft.
                  The top was cleaned up and the new plastic rectangular cup fitted with the new o-ring, and the top brake line into the casing was taken off.
                  The section was blown out, and the line reattached, the line dribbled a couple of drops of brake fluid so I knew the system "should" still be charged and free of bubbles.
                  Yeah right!
                  After filling the cup to the limit and squeezing the brake handle a few times a couple of bubbles came out and the brake is still soft.
                  So looks like I have to bleed the full system, it's a pain because after cleaning the shed up I have to locate the new bleed bottles again, oh well.

Comment

Forgot some pic's of the '78 750B basket case.

Good place to start eh.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Because the engine got really really hot. Don't ever idle it for ten minutes, it's air cooled. Without a little bit of airflow it just gets hotter and hotter. As it gets hotter, the air going through the engine expands more, the oil gets thinner, so the idle speed goes up. Then it will go back down again as engine parts begin to melt.
                      This is good information to know. I'll store this in my "IMPORTANT!" Memory folder.

Comment

Idling Time

I'm stoopid excited. I just rode my bike down the street and back again. This was a really really bad condition barn find that a lot of people told me I could never get running. It sat and idled for about 15 min. Then I took it for a quick spin. I've never owned a street bike before. Never riden on the street before. Hoping to get my license in the next week or so. And finish buttoning up the last few details. Charging system seems to be working great!

Quick question. After about 10 mins of idle the RPM's start to slowly rise. Why is this? Small vacuum leak? Something I should adjust on the carbs?
                        That's scary to me. Even when I had my first bike I was told never to leave it running for more than a couple of minutes...or until the engine temp got to 100F.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Yep, I've read about this here. Air-cooled is exactly what it is.

This is good information to know. I'll store this in my "IMPORTANT!" Memory folder.
                        Lesson learned. Also...never get a jump-start from a car with the engine running--it kills the motorcycle battery.

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I'm still working on issues with my fuel system after another 'delightful' surprise that the PO neglected to mention. Evidently, the petcock on my GS700 doesn't function properly in the 'ON' position. PO's solution? Remove one of the float needles and use the fourth carb as an overflow reservoir. This is my first bike, so I've been scratching my head for a week trying to figure out if I screwed anything up when I rejetted it for the pipe and pods on it (which he also didn't mention he neglected to do).

Comment

Pulled the carbs on Suzie Q, will be replacing the pilot jets, so might as well clean em again.
                            V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                              That's scary to me. Even when I had my first bike I was told never to leave it running for more than a couple of minutes...or until the engine temp got to 100F.

Yep, I've read about this here. Air-cooled is exactly what it is.

Lesson learned. Also...never get a jump-start from a car with the engine running--it kills the motorcycle battery.
                              Ed
                              Yup. But mistake make and lesson learned. Thankfully it was quite cold out and really windy. Hopefully that helped. Everything seems fine.

I did know not to jump start off a running car. I have a booster pack so I've been boosting off that lately. I need to still buy a new battery. The bike didn't come with one.

Comment

I did know not to jump start off a running car. I have a booster pack so I've been boosting off that lately. I need to still buy a new battery. The bike didn't come with one.
                                Yeah, the alternator on the car pumps out way too much current and will risk blowing a motorcycle battery.

What I do is use jumper cables and connect my car and bike batter with the car OFF for a few hours a day while I'm working on my bike, just to keep it in good shape. This is like once every one or two weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X