what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
    Eek. I suppose it's easy to get kind of blasé about risk on a microlight, as somehow they seem a bit more diy and divorced from the mainstream, but gravity is an unforgiving sucker and will kill ya just as surely no matter what you're in. When it comes to aviation electrics and mechanics I'm a bit more fastidious, which comes from seeing early on what the consequences can be, and the realisation that if that engine quits, you're in the metaphorical cesspit.
    Eek indeed. I used to get a bit p***ed with regulatory fussiness but when you see what is going on it's clear some are not aware that as the saying goes, ' the air more so than the sea is a cruel and unforgiving mistress'. Newly aquired machine so PO is getting the blame atm. Fortunately the new owners group have a healthy attitude. Their refuelling protocol would put Sheldon's room-mate agreement in the ha'penny place ............ and it needs to be. Premix two stroke opens a whole new category of potential screw ups.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by GSCafe View Post
      It fits! Need a longer neg cable tho. Except for the Dyna III ignition module, the electronics and battery are all in the little box right below the seat.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]38788[/ATTACH]
      That looks neat. I have an old motherboard, you could mount the Dyna and a graphics card for the instruments
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
        That looks neat. I have an old motherboard, you could mount the Dyna and a graphics card for the instruments
        ((Scratching chin)) You're gonna mess up my cafe vibe, lol. That sounds fun. Actually the Dyna III is designed to mount to a frame bar. Plus, rerouting the wiring for it was more than I wanted to take on just now. I've got a RAM mount system that holds my GPS right in front of the gauges and gives me all that info graphically. One of my coworkers is playing with a Raspberry Pi computer for a carputer and I have a usb GPS antenna. The pulse on the wire from the Dyna would give rpm and the GPS would give speed...Hmm...

Comment

Received some upgrades to pretty things up:

And a little bling on the center pad to cover the original pull choke hole:

Still waiting on a NEW OEM gauge cluster housing. Plan on opening up the tachometer gauge housing and replacing the fuel gauge with one that's in better condition.
          Attached Files

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Did some minor things as a first step on my new Zed, mostly just a clean before taking it for a run to see what is wrong with it. The fuel cap leaks as I found out when I filled it to the top, got a new one coming, it smokes when started cold but does clear, hopefully a bit of use might sort this, time will tell, I cut the number plate down as it had about an inch of unused yellow sticking out on all sides, looks much better now, exhaust silencer has a hole in it, first step will be to mod it by cutting it down past the hole and maiing my own baffles, second step if that does not work is top cut it back to the collector junction and add a new silencer to it, third step is buy a new can which will probably happen quite soon anyway so perhaps steps 1&2 are pointless. It has pod filters so a return to standard air box is on the cards, I just need to wait a bit before chucking more money at it too quickly as I only just bought it. Rev counter does not work so a new cable is coming, assuming that is the problem as the seller said it was broke.

first ride 2.jpg

I am still waiting for parts to arrive from the US for my GS650L refurb.

Comment

Try Mothers Black (Magic) on the plastic, brings it up a treat.

Comment

I just got a new OEM petcock in for my 550. Including extra seals and hose. As I found out the previous owner used a rebuild kit. My new/used tank and foot pegs should arrive today. A fresh powder coat is coming soon and the new petcock is going on the freshly coated tank. The inside of the tank looks pretty spotless too so hopefully I won't have to do much there. I'll inspect the hell out of it to be sure.

Hopefully it will all be done within the next couple weeks! I just have to decide what color I'm going with!

Comment

Got home from a ride today and a pool of fuel spread out under the bike, sticking float bowl valves I assume. The fuel tap on the tank continued to allow fuel out after removal suggesting the vacuum no longer works on it. Is this punishment for buying a Zed I wonder? Never again, honest.

Comment

Don't worry it's a common problem, happens to mine all the time. The number one carb closest to the side stand will leak because of the float level just make sure you turn the fuel tap off each time. Mines getting a beauty treatment tonight to get it ready for a swap meet on Sunday, she's up for sale because I've bought a new bike.
                    Love the old girl to bits but I've got a serious problem with storage.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryBB View Post
                      Got home from a ride today and a pool of fuel spread out under the bike, sticking float bowl valves I assume. The fuel tap on the tank continued to allow fuel out after removal suggesting the vacuum no longer works on it. Is this punishment for buying a Zed I wonder? Never again, honest.

Is the tap (petcock) on prime by chance? By Zed 1 do you mean Z-1 the parts source, or a Kawasaki bike? The tap I bought from Z-1 has been fine but I read they have had some that were problematic. Let them know if it's bad. Gas on the floor isn't good.

cg
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by sinkankan View Post
                        Don't worry it's a common problem, happens to mine all the time. The number one carb closest to the side stand will leak because of the float level just make sure you turn the fuel tap off each time. Mines getting a beauty treatment tonight to get it ready for a swap meet on Sunday, she's up for sale because I've bought a new bike.
                        Love the old girl to bits but I've got a serious problem with storage.
                        The Zed is my new baby so I am very forgiving with it. I started to take it apart and found the fuel tap does not turn off, I assume the vacuum seal is gone, another new part to get, though I have been told the GS fuel tap fits and I might have a spare one. I added a fly screen to it today and replaced the broken rev counter cable.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2015, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Rear sets, assemble!
                          Rearsets_assemble.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                            Is the tap (petcock) on prime by chance? By Zed 1 do you mean Z-1 the parts source, or a Kawasaki bike? The tap I bought from Z-1 has been fine but I read they have had some that were problematic. Let them know if it's bad. Gas on the floor isn't good.

cg
                            It was Zed then I as in me, not Zed1. It is a Z650, not the bigger one. The tap is a vacuum tap and it was in the on position, sadly the vacuum seal has gone and it will need replacing as I have been told that you can buy new seals for the tap they often don't stop it. I think I have spare GS fuel tap which fits and does the same job I have been told, I'll try that to see. I am going to get an inline fuel filter, clean the inside of the fuel tank, -it had been stood for more than 10 years before the people I bought it from had it-, and clean the carbs,

Comment

They were throwing away literally hundreds of these nifty floor outlets at the building I was working in. I figured it would be a handy under work bench outlet so I dont have cords running over the top.....Cords, especially of the messy tangled type drive me crazy.
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by JerryBB View Post
                                It was Zed then I as in me, not Zed1. It is a Z650, not the bigger one. The tap is a vacuum tap and it was in the on position, sadly the vacuum seal has gone and it will need replacing as I have been told that you can buy new seals for the tap they often don't stop it. I think I have spare GS fuel tap which fits and does the same job I have been told, I'll try that to see. I am going to get an inline fuel filter, clean the inside of the fuel tank, -it had been stood for more than 10 years before the people I bought it from had it-, and clean the carbs,
                                There's a manual tap available for teh Z650 - a quick google will find it.
                                ---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X