what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
    Sure, but it's old school and may seem slow compared to what you've been riding lately.
    I'm sure it would keep up with the VTX1800. That thing looses all steam after 90mph.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Removed the left head off the 75 Goldwing. Noticed what looked and smelled like antifreeze steam on the left side around the head. I had just redone the left side head gasket and thought about the plugs behind the head leaking ( see service bulletin below ). There was water the cover and the oil was milky, so its new STEEL plugs like the bulletin says, new cam oil seals, and another new head gasket. I am gonna replace the plugs in the right and give that side new oil seals as well.

Service bulletin PDF file....

Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-26-2016, 07:11 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The XJ900F has been busting my chops the past week, with a pair of iffy coils - I fitted a set of CBR1000 coils which worked great, but one of them started to fail the next day. Bummer.
        So, back to the original set and temp repair them - one was a Chinese no-name cheapy, with HT leads made of a particularly stringy cheese, and the other (OEM) coil had a rotten LT feed. Both repaired and put back on, but the OEM coil has drifted high in secondary DC resistance. It's time to treat the bike to a brand new pair.
        Anyway, happiness of engine re-established and it becomes obvious after a v.careful tune up the muffler packing in the left hand side has shifted. Looking up H-D forums, it seems this is quite common, so tomorrow I'll gut the mufflers and re-pack with stainless pot scrubbers.
        That'll show 'em.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

tkent02 and I spent the day working on his, and now my, 1980 GS1000E. Checked the valve clearances, replaced the intake gasket, cleaned the intake half-moons, installed a horn, took apart the left-hand switches to clean the horn contacts (DON'T EVER DO THIS, what a nightmare to reassemble), re-built the front brake light switch, and changed out the shocks...then delivered it to my garage!

Comment

Spooned some new Shinko 712's on to my 850 today and swapped the turn signal on her 750. We had some round bullet looking LED's on it but the local constabulary took offense to them and demanded something a wee bit bigger with more visibility. Philistines. Lol.

Comment

Congrats on the new ride, Jeff.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I 'dindu nuffin' for a change... I rode it But I noticed when I got back, there were a couple small spots of oil that must have come off the engine, on the left sidecover.. I noticed the valve cover seemed oily, so I ordered a new gasket!suz2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Throttlejock View Post
                  Got it out of the truck and took the gas tank off for a better look. Just had carpal tunnel release surgery yesterday so I can't do a whole lot.
                  Nice project, 90-92?
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

found my least favorite gs task: scraping base gaskets. Next time I'll just buy a new bike.....sweet baby jeebus.
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I didn't wrench on anything! After finding stripped threads on the top shock mount posts, it kind of took the wind out of my sail... I gave the 850 a good bath Saturday then rode 250 miles Sunday. I love my 850
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Now that new rings are seated in, it's getting new oil, new oil filter. I also put on a fresh chain. I removed the pipes and I'm currently in the process of wrapping the header.

Comment

Finished a total engine rebuild on a 2001 Chev Tracker.

V
                          Gustov
                          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                          80 GS 550 L
                          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

No real wrenching, but progress. Finished titling and got tags for the bike, and picked up a sleeping bag, pad, and microfiber towel from Cabelas for the upcoming camping trips. Also bought a jacket and pants off eBay, and looking for deals on Nelson Rigg gear.

Here's her spot in the garage:

Comment

To say I am chuffed is an understatement.
                              Foul weather the past few days precluded any activity with the XJ9, but today was clear and dry.
                              It's running quieter than it was when I bought it with the Jama mufflers on - and those were pretty quiet. I'd say it's now as quiet as the standard factory pipes.
                              It's pulling excellently in all gears, too; no flat spots or hesitation - in fact, the scenery goes backwards at quite a satisfying rate in any gear
                              Only downside is now I can hear all the chirps, whines, clinks, burbles and gasps of of the rather old engine.
                              Runs like a sewing machine though. Admittedly, a sewing machine that's done a shedload of work, but still.
                              I quite like it this way - I was getting tired of the racket. Think I'll get another few of these Hardly mufflers now that I know what to do with them.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by StratJeff View Post
                                No real wrenching, but progress. Finished titling and got tags for the bike, and picked up a sleeping bag, pad, and microfiber towel from Cabelas for the upcoming camping trips. Also bought a jacket and pants off eBay, and looking for deals on Nelson Rigg gear.

Here's her spot in the garage:

You bought Tkent's bike?
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X