what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olde school kayak project finished

No wrench or steel used for this project, except a heavy duty needle to sew the seams.
    14 ft Greenland style kayak. this is my third version trying to get it right for the choppy wave conditions on Lake Michigan.

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Oh, that thing will never float... Just kidding, very nice!
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

That is so cool. Very impressive.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hey, that's not a Suzuki...it's not even a motorcycle... It's nice though.
          No signature

Comment

Very nice!
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks y'all.
              Working with wood is a nice getaway from the frustration of engine tuning.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Didnt wrench, played on computer and drew this of a starter clutch gear......

Comment

Moved the floorboards on my Moto Guzzi out and forward some for better fitment. I also made some new rubber pads for the passenger floorboards on my GS850.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                    Didnt wrench, played on computer and drew this of a starter clutch gear......

Can you design me a new one with better steel?

I have an friend who designed a new transmission for the Indian Chief,
                    "Chief Overdrive", I think it was a 4 speed vs. 3. I want to contact him to make a better, longer lasting starter clutch. Probably be expensive to do just one.
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Bike related, in that I was starting to weld together the bike dollies for shifting bikes across and around end-to-end on the floor.
                      Unfortunately, my ebay cheapy auto-dark welding helmet died today. It lasted ok, about ten years, but much of that time it wasn't used, so I could have had much more use out of it in terms of inches welded over the years.
                      I think I'll go up a step in value this time and get something with replaceable batteries and a brand name.
                      I'll keep the old shell and get a cheap insert for it, as a spare, as it's still in very good condition overall, and fitted me quite nicely. It might still revover if left out in the sun for couple of day, but I'd not trust it now.
                      Was quite unpleasant, getting a blast of intense green arc. Just glad the native darkness of the LCD kept out a lot of it.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                        Can you design me a new one with better steel?
                        Wow. hoping you heard that rattle. hehe. Wasnt the bolts (that are mangled) coming loose letting the gear run astray in its hosing that make it shatter? Either way thats a fair bit of damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                          Bike related, Unfortunately, my ebay cheapy auto-dark welding helmet died today. It lasted ok, about ten years, but much of that time it wasn't used, so I could have had much more use out of it in terms of inches welded over the years.
                          I think I'll go up a step in value this time and get something with replaceable batteries and a brand name.
                          I'll keep the old shell and get a cheap insert for it, as a spare, as it's still in very good condition overall, and fitted me quite nicely. It might still revover if left out in the sun for couple of day, but I'd not trust it now.
                          Was quite unpleasant, getting a blast of intense green arc. Just glad the native darkness of the LCD kept out a lot of it.
                          Having the just right level of shade is so critical for arc welding. My auto dark is also cheap, seems like they're all made in the same factory, where they slap on your preferred brand sticker.
                          I was thinking of just going old school with a single level lens shade.

Comment

Pulled the caps off the tops of my forks on the GS850, and pushed back together with 1 3/4 inch slugs installed. Just enough that I can quit screwing around with the air assist junk.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                              Wow. hoping you heard that rattle. hehe. Wasnt the bolts (that are mangled) coming loose letting the gear run astray in its hosing that make it shatter? Either way thats a fair bit of damage.
                              It was fussy starting one morning, actually at a 2 day track session. The first day it snatched loudly in the morning, then fired every session after that. The next morning it snatched, then came to a halt. It refused to start after that, so had a track neighbor who was more than willing to help keep the oldest bike on the track running by bump starting in full leathers. The first session, I heard a gulping sound braking hard into the 13th corner of a 16 corner track. I pulled into pits thinking "no" my day is over, then decided to do one more lap. I heard sounds on deceleration, but performance seemed normal. This was all after getting a new left end on the crank (Pearson Racing) new starter clutch, used rotor, new pistons, and a rebore.

When I pulled the stator cover a few days later, most everything was resting right where it shattered. I found every piece.
                              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

After finding the stripped out shock mount studs on the 1000, I had to make some custom nuts. The left side I was able to just run a 10mm x1.25 die over the threads. The right side I had to go down a size to 3/8-24 I stamped the nuts with a R and L so they don't get mixed up. I made the nuts a little longer for the bungee cord hooks.
                                Attached Files
                                My Motorcycles:
                                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                                79 1000e (all original)
                                82 850g (all original)
                                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                                X